kill this shitty thread

NTSAM

Instead of inflicting burn and saying they burn their hand on the light, make the message say "Touching that with your bare hand probably isn't the best idea." and just leave the dude alone.

It's ridiculous how someone can off themselves just by touching a bulb for 15 seconds, and you really wouldn't touch an on light tube irl without something to cover your hands.

EDIT: Fuck it, screw this suggestion

Edited by Guest

This was technically already a thing before. At some point there was a PR that prevented burning on lightbulbs, all was well in the word. Then someone made the stupid choice to revert it.

I say again. It makes no literal sense that you can repeatedly touch a light till your left/right arm has melted and your chest is badly burnt

.eJwVyFEOgyAMANC7cABaglLxNgQJmmlLoGYfZnff9j7fY-5-mtXsqm2sANsxsvTNDpWearFVpJ4ltWPYLBck1ZT3q7AOcNNMiDjNiAtFCpHAkQth-a2P3pP_180vljfbxtV8vge1Iuk.E1I6nswzLhlvbqjancWbO4-Dpdc.png?width=300&height=299

Only reason I can think of why it'd be reverted is "EBIN DANK RETRO SS13 MEMES AMIRITE XDDDDDDDD" and whoever thought that was a good reason to bring it back needs to be shot tbqh

alright so https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/209 apparently re-added the lightbulb burning with 0 reason given

i understand we should try to be a lighthearted game but does this lightbulb suicide shit really even add to gameplay?

Edited by Guest

A fair point, counter, but I don't want to have to take 5u patches of silver sulfadine with me every time I want to access a computer that is remotely close to a lightbulb when I can't bother to tell the difference between the pixels of glow on the lightbulb sprite and the computer itself.

+1 Please.

My first month or two was as a Roboticist. Literally every day for a few weeks I burned myself picking up the toolbelt and beaker on the north table. At least I'm an IPC, but seriously, why does this exist?

What the fuck

Are you the guys thats responsible of the "warning, contains hot" label on my coffee?

Here's an easy fix, don't touch the lightbulb until you die

I can fuck up and accidentally touch one as well, especially in RnD, but that doesn't kill me, not even close, you'd have to have the intent of killing yourself in mind to even get close to serious injury.

"Guys let's remove glass shards because you can kill yourself with them"

While I'm annoyed by it too, I don't think it warrants removal. If someone is stupid enough to burn themselves to near-death with one, just leave them to their fate. If you accidentally burn yourself, just ask for a glass of tomato juice at the bar to fix up the minor burn damage.

This isn't even 'I ded'. It's 'I hert'.

A lightbulb won't kill you irl unless you sit on it for like years with sensitive skin or if you lick the bulb inlet

But whatever I guess, screw it, keep your shitty fucking retro SS13 memes.

I actually can't believe the reasoning you're using, Regen. Glass shards CAN and will kill you if you handle them wrong, both IRL and in the game. The lightbulb has literally zero ways of killing you, unless you smash it and use the resulting shards. These are two completely different things.

What the fuck

Are you the guys thats responsible of the "warning, contains hot" label on my coffee?

I can fuck up and accidentally touch one as well, especially in RnD, but that doesn't kill me, not even close, you'd have to have the intent of killing yourself in mind to even get close to serious injury.

Except it adds literally nothing to gameplay.

Not even nothing, it adds negative gameplay. Iunno about you, but I have touched lightbulbs before and changed them almost immediately after power was turned off and they don't fucking burn my hand as if I decided to shove my fingers into an electrical socket. If you REALLY wanna keep it as a method of brig suicide (Not... sure why.), just make it so clicking on an empty light socket puts your fingers into it an electrocutes you.

It's not about "please baby proof this because I dun wanna be ded :<"

It's "This is a retarded mechanic that benefits no one, no one cares about and is utter useless to existence, so let's remove it."

What the fuck

First. I don't think that's an actual warning. Second. It's not that it happens. It's that it's a possibility with the PR that Fox did and Sam brought up, and it's stupid. Just pure and utter stupid.

I like to think the characters that we play as are smarter than 2 year old babies. When my character accidentally burns himself on a light I somehow managed to click because it was occupying the same tile space as a vendor? Sort of breaks that illusion.

Really. You can't expect this to still be a thing that people will accept when you can do what I've shown in the pictures.

Sure, it's a stupid feature, but the arguments here are hilarious.

"YOU CAN DIE BY DOING IT, LOOK AT THIS PICTURE"

So yeah, a glass shard can also kill you, so can space, so can figuratively anything in the game if you apply it enough times to your head.

It's not a "BROKEN FEATURE OMG" it's an annoyance, a mild one at that.

I'm not saying it's broken. I'm saying it's a stupid feature. if it was broken it'd have to be crashing people, as it stands though it is a dumb; needless and annoying feature. It was removed once before, with no reason as to it being brought back other than for "SS13 Memes must live"

Also I'd say your counter-point was equally hilarious if we're measuring how useful it was for the sake of the arguement

Edited by Guest

It shouldn't even exist. Glass shard to throat? Makes sense. Running out into space? Makes sense. Touch lightbulb with hand, now I'm burning to death on the floor. I'm not saying this shit should make sense, because let's be real, this is SS13. We've got all sorts of weird stuff here. But why does this feature even exist? Why was it re-added when it was removed for a reason?

Nobody has said "It must stay because of old ss13 meme" except you, funtimes.

I am not wholly against removing it, I just think you're all over exaggerating the effect of it

That's the reason I'm logically assuming it's back for, given how it usually is for small gimmicky features which get included in PR's.

I didn't create the topic. I find it to be an annoyance I could suffer without and this is the opportunity I got to voice my annoyance.