Add virtual reality

Spacemanspark

What it states in the title.

Let's come up with ideas on what virtual reality would have in it and how it would be accessed.

Yes.

I also like this because server rules (minus ERP, racism, that sorta thing) don't apply in the VR---it's a great outlet to just grief the shit out of people if you so desire, legally, without negatively impacting people's rounds....andddd if you do get griefed? Big deal, you suicide, succumb, then rejoin.

I'd be open to this but I'd like to see a few tweaks to what I've seen suggested in the past.

1 - Do not make it so it's only available to prisoners. If it's limited to just prisoners we may very well see people committing crimes in-game just to play with the VR. Add a few machines in the locker room or fitness room that regular crew can use.

2 - Make it only allow a few non-prisoner crewmembers at a time. The Gateway already causes problems on low-pop rounds when half a dozen people run off into the Gateway and leave one or more departments understaffed. If there's only 3 VR stations available in the locker room and potentially some limiting factor preventing someone from staying connected forever then crew will have a reason to go back to their job. Obviously some people will still want to faff about but that's why there's a holodeck, boxing ring, and arcade machines.

3 - Allow prisoners in VR to communicate with non-prisoner crew in VR. Everything said could be logged and/or the Warden could monitor the VR with the camera console in his office (potentially the AI could have a camera "network" that allows it to monitor VR activities too.) This would allow prisoners to scheme with their accomplices outside but still run the risk of being overheard.

Have an item scanner thingy next to the VR machines, so you can bring one item with you into the simulation.

Actually, you could use this to replace the toxins test range with something a bit more reusable.

EDIT: Also, if they're emagged, it becomes some SAO-level bullcrap where if you die in the game you die in real life. Makes a use for the logout buttons.

I'd be open to this but I'd like to see a few tweaks to what I've seen suggested in the past.

1 - Do not make it so it's only available to prisoners. If it's limited to just prisoners we may very well see people committing crimes in-game just to play with the VR. Add a few machines in the locker room or fitness room that regular crew can use.

Yes, I very much agree with this.

2 - Make it only allow a few non-prisoner crewmembers at a time. The Gateway already causes problems on low-pop rounds when half a dozen people run off into the Gateway and leave one or more departments understaffed. If there's only 3 VR stations available in the locker room and potentially some limiting factor preventing someone from staying connected forever then crew will have a reason to go back to their job. Obviously some people will still want to faff about but that's why there's a holodeck, boxing ring, and arcade machines.

The gateway is an issue because it can be very difficult to get them out of there, as they themselves are actually in an alternate area that can potentially be very lethal. VR would likely be quite different in the sense that you can just rip them out of the VR station/ take off the VR goggles/ remove whatever we use to get into VR.

I don't agree with this idea at all.

3 - Allow prisoners in VR to communicate with non-prisoner crew in VR. Everything said could be logged and/or the Warden could monitor the VR with the camera console in his office (potentially the AI could have a camera "network" that allows it to monitor VR activities too.) This would allow prisoners to scheme with their accomplices outside but still run the risk of being overheard.

That's a good idea as well.

Oh, how long I've wanted this.

I think it would be cool to let the AI have a large amount of control in the VR world, giving them options similar to the holodeck. They could change the perceived environment, maybe even spawn in mobs for people to interact with. Nothing too major to distract them from actual station work, but enough to let them enjoy themselves with a bit more crew interaction.

Let malf AI's shunt into VR as an extremely powerful character/boss mob who kills people outside the VR when they die to it, but anyone who jumps in to attack it gets powerful weapons to combat it.

The gateway is an issue because it can be very difficult to get them out of there, as they themselves are actually in an alternate area that can potentially be very lethal. VR would likely be quite different in the sense that you can just rip them out of the VR station/ take off the VR goggles/ remove whatever we use to get into VR.

I don't agree with this idea at all.

That's fair enough. I still think there should be some limiting factor, like once you log out you can't log in again for 10 minutes or whatever. But I'm definitely thinking less strict than I was before.

Oh, how long I've wanted this.

I think it would be cool to let the AI have a large amount of control in the VR world, giving them options similar to the holodeck. They could change the perceived environment, maybe even spawn in mobs for people to interact with. Nothing too major to distract them from actual station work, but enough to let them enjoy themselves with a bit more crew interaction.

Let malf AI's shunt into VR as an extremely powerful character/boss mob who kills people outside the VR when they die to it, but anyone who jumps in to attack it gets powerful weapons to combat it.

AI should be able to move around as a mob when inside the VR, but with more privileges?

Yes. Yes this.

I like the idea. Security could have their own VR training ground with all possible security weapons and gear as well as all potential enemies simulation.

Medical could have a small simulation of heavy patients along with surgery, tools and medicine so doctors could improve their skills without harming anyone. That simulation should be availible for everyone. First aid skill is useful for everyone.

Some builds feature VR googles for detective which allow him to access his own tiny "pocket universe" which contains security, medical and forensic terminals.

And traitor could potentialy emag simulation mainframe like holo-deck to gain superadmin access inside it and then killing people. People died from traitor in VR will die in real world from neural feedback or just ends up retarded from it if they are lucky/unlucky enough.

I like the idea. Security could have their own VR training ground with all possible security weapons and gear as well as all potential enemies simulation.

Medical could have a small simulation of heavy patients along with surgery, tools and medicine so doctors could improve their skills without harming anyone. That simulation should be availible for everyone. First aid skill is useful for everyone.

Some builds feature VR googles for detective which allow him to access his own tiny "pocket universe" which contains security, medical and forensic terminals.

And traitor could potentialy emag simulation mainframe like holo-deck to gain superadmin access inside it and then killing people. People died from traitor in VR will die in real world from neural feedback or just ends up retarded from it if they are lucky/unlucky enough.

Heavy Rain?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use