"Junior" professions as assistant types.

Farya

While playing at other servers I find some assistant subtypes which could be both fun and useful for new players.

They are all have the same basic access but different starting gear and skills.

Security cadet - starts with cadet uniform(looks just like sec. officer one), a pair of jackboots, sunglasses and security cap.

Must report to the HoS at the start of the round. Could be assigned to the senior security officer who will train the rookie and possibly give him positive commendatation at the end of the shift. Or maybe warden would like to have a little helper who would help him manage the prisoners and watch the cameras.

Medical intern - starts with white jumpsuit, a pair of latex gloves and maybe a basic first aid kit. Arrives to the station to work hard and finilly obtain his\her medical license.

Mecha pilot - starts with sunglasses, pilot jumpsuit and toolbelt. Arrives to the station to pilot mechas robotics could possibly assemble.

Private eye - starts with a pair of jackboots, black jumpsuit, leather coat and forensic scanner. Comes to station to snoop around in the maintenance and spy for everyone for money. Could possibly help security detective to solve crimes or even doing all the job if the former is just unproffesional drunkard with a gun.

Test subject - this guy\gal is so poor that he\she is ready to be borged/accept experimental gene therapy for money and FOR SCIENCE. Starts with orange jumpsuit to look a bit more like Chell from Portal.

Mech pilot sounds like a bad idea, super bad.

Medical has nurses and I would count Maint. tech as engineering equivalent. Rest sound like more pain in the ass than any use for anyone.

Mech pilot sounds like a bad idea, super bad.

May I ask why?

Medical has nurses and I would count Maint. tech as engineering equivalent. Rest sound like more pain in the ass than any use for anyone.

Intern would allow new players to try medical jobs a bit earlier and with lower responsibility because its intern not a doctor. It would also allow them to pick unfamilar medical job without fiiling the slot. It could be frustrating to find out that all the slots are filled with new players and you can join as doctor yourself.

Goon had departmental assistants and according to the wiki they just used the position to snatch free gear.

Goon depart. assistants got expanded access as well. They were uncontrolable because of this. So no more access for them. Ask respectful head for assignment and access.

Take a typical greytider, make his job be literally useless asshat in a deadly mech.

There is no reason for this guy to be a thing either, miners need their RIPLEYs to themselves, Odysseus is for paramedic, combat mechs belongs into armory, and HONK mechs belong in hell. Nothing for this guy to drive.

Nurse is just that, medic with less access and less responsibility. Great for those who want to learn.

Take a typical greytider, make his job be literally useless asshat in a deadly mech.

There is no reason for this guy to be a thing either, miners need their RIPLEYs to themselves, Odysseus is for paramedic, combat mechs belongs into armory, and HONK mechs belong in hell. Nothing for this guy to drive.

Nurse is just that, medic with less access and less responsibility. Great for those who want to learn.

Well, thats a valid point. You are right here.

But nurse use up same slot as actual doctor right? Nurse have 3 days cooldown for newcomers as well.

I have never seen it being a problem really, even if all medic jobs are taken at join menu, you can go to HoP.

HoP would be the guy to ask about intern roles anyways, they have access to command channel and can coordinate with the relevant department head to get someone to help you out on your "first day on the job".

If that fails, take the job and mentorhelp away, the nerds will fight to death over the privilidge of telling their assorted medbay tip'n'tricks to anyone willing to listen.

the HoP exists

This.

Let's not complicate the crew manifest even further. Custom titles already fail to show up under the right section.

the HoP exists

This.

Unless you get the "right sort" of HoP...

hK8uQ5N.jpg

A lot of heads make it their mission to be as no fun allowed as possible, a couple of alternate titles ("student" "intern") without actual access might work though.

Department specific "intern" jobs seem like an awesome idea for me, especially for security jobs since i've been seeing more and more shitcurity lately.

So if it could maybe be that you can only play proper sec officer if you've played 2 hours (AKA one shift) with the security deputy officer.

As for the rest of the departments, meh could be fun maybe. But yeah, training those new security officers before they learn themselves the shitcurity ways sounds like a great idea.

I myself think that having a lower ranking position of a certain job type (such as security) would make it easier for new players to ease into new roles that normally are rather stressing. After all, some jobs are quite overwhelming at times, and for a player new to the role, it can be a tad rough to do well without having a wiki on hand at all times. Things take practice, after all.

The only question would be which jobs could use internship positions, how they would work to give players a taste of a job without overwhelming them, and also how many there could be at any one time, to name but a few.

I myself think that having a lower ranking position of a certain job type (such as security) would make it easier for new players to ease into new roles that normally are rather stressing. After all, some jobs are quite overwhelming at times, and for a player new to the role, it can be a tad rough to do well without having a wiki on hand at all times. Things take practice, after all.

The only question would be which jobs could use internship positions, how they would work to give players a taste of a job without overwhelming them, and also how many there could be at any one time, to name but a few.

This is already in the game, and covered by the assistant job.

Two solutions already to the not-problem you made this thread for.

Do you play the game or just make poorly-concieved suggestions? This and the other one about random unfixible mutations is pretty much unintentional shitposting.

Do you play the game or just make poorly-concieved suggestions? This and the other one about random unfixible mutations is pretty much unintentional shitposting.

I would much rather people make suggestions like this so we can discuss their merits than to have people not make suggestions because they're worried about someone calling their suggestions shitposts.

I would much rather people make suggestions like this so we can discuss their merits than to have people not make suggestions because they're worried about someone calling their suggestions shitposts.

Ever since I came here, he posted on most of my topics, and he always seems to put my ideas down rather harshly.

And now resorting to calling any post I make a shitpost? I think he doesn't like me.

Ever since I came here, he posted on most of my topics, and he always seems to put my ideas down rather harshly.

And now resorting to calling any post I make a shitpost? I think he doesn't like me.

You'd be right. I don't care for you because you've demonstrated you don't think things through, and you think "being shit on purpose" is good RP.

Can we please not descend to hostility as the first response to an idea we disagree with? Let's stay on track, please.

Sure. We already have dimunitive titles in many departments and mecha pilot would be a really bad idea.

Above and beyond that we have the HoP who can provide any title and access, and the start of the round they're typically available to do so.

So the response to OP's suggestion is that it's already in for medical (nurse) and engineering (maint tech), and for science learning from coworkers should be easy due to the departmental structure.

Nothing more is needed.

Can we please not descend to hostility as the first response to an idea we disagree with? Let's stay on track, please.

Sure. We already have dimunitive titles in many departments and mecha pilot would be a really bad idea.

Above and beyond that we have the HoP who can provide any title and access, and the start of the round they're typically available to do so.

So the response to OP's suggestion is that it's already in for medical (nurse) and engineering (maint tech), and for science learning from coworkers should be easy due to the departmental structure.

Nothing more is needed.

Whats bad in security cadet/deputy early availble for new players and which have reduced/no access initialy? Security have no junior version at all and potentially earlier availible brig physician a ment to be non-combatant kept out of actual crimefighting.

And some Head of personal are just "no fun allowed" type.

• 2 months later...

Nothing more is needed.

Whats bad in security cadet/deputy early availble for new players and which have reduced/no access initialy? Security have no junior version at all and potentially earlier availible brig physician a ment to be non-combatant kept out of actual crimefighting.

And some Head of personal are just "no fun allowed" type.

Security already has pretty limited access to begin with. Not sure the advantage of reducing it further. Sec officer is already a pretty low title and equivalent or worse in trust than a nurse anyway.

I think that even if you want to the HoP and asked a "no fun" one for a title adjustment to reflect you being in training they would. Someone who doesn't have the social skills for that shouldn't be a sec officer to begin with.

Security Cadets with the access of a normal officer minus holding cells so they can't actually sentence anyone) is what I usually go for.

Something similar for medical students (medbay minus surgery) or research interns (scientist's normal access minus toxins/experimentor because that shits dangerous).

If the HoP has half a brain and the relevant heads aren't all "NO THEY WEREN'T HERE ON ROUND START AND CANNOT BE LET IN IN CASE THEY ANTAG" it's easy to set them up as things are.

Unfortunately, HoPs are usually too busy being backup captains :(

Bumped with rework.

Test Subject - assistant subtype; starts with white jumpsuit and shoes. Supposed to be lab mouse for genetics and other science sub.departments.

Security cadet - security officer alternative title. Exists for newbies for ease of indicating their lack of experience for everyone. Have everything the same to ordinary officer. Or almost everything. Make them spawn in security suit instead of jumpsuit and with corporate cap on the head(helmet in backpack) to give them more "by the book" look.

Medical intern - alternative title for medical doctor. Unlike nurse supposed to have full medical education but lack of real experience. Supposed to do simple surgery instead of surgeons. Wear orderly uniform instead of medical jumpsuit.

Emergency Medical Physician - alternative title for MD. Supposed to be trained in first aid and reanimation of people came in crit/dead. Basicaly someone between Paramedic and Medical doctor. Starts with first responder jacket instead of labocoat.

Science intern/assistant (unfortunately english lacks special term for junior science worker rank like post-soviet countries) - same as scientist but newbie. Supposed to help other scientists instead of conducting independent research.

Engineering already have Maintenance Technician whos already sound very friendly for newbies.

Well, someone managed to write here before update. You are fast, Doukan.

Edited by Guest

I can pretty much echo everything Rumiluntti said to this topic.

Maybe it would be a compromise to add alternative titles like Medical Intern to Medical Doctor and Security Cadet to Security Officer and so on. So game mechanic and rule wise the Medical Intern is the same as a Medical Doctor. But people could optionally display a lack of expertise if they so desire.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use