Service Job SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

Service Job SOP: Complete!

Greetings, aspiring SOP writers. If you've clicked this thread, then you're either interested in contributing to Standard Operating Procedure, or are merely interested in seeing how it's going. Therefore, I shall begin by explaining what this (soon-to-be) megathread is all about:

Part 1: What is this?

Approximately 4 months ago, Necaladun approached me with a personal project of his: a complete overhaul of Standard Operating Procedure, meant to centralize SOP in such a way that allowed for more interaction with the Legal sub-Department, more actual guidelines on how to conduct one's performance, and generally formalize what was once only nebulous guidelines in an effort to get everyone on the same page.

This was the project that led to the current version of Security SOP. However, it was left half done, as Necaladun took his leave shortly after Sec SOP was added, and the project crumbled from lack of interest/time. However, I continued the project, but only recently picked it back up in full. The point of this megathread will be to, at the end of the line, have a single, well-defined, centralized Standard Operating Procedure that everyone can look at and fully comprehend, without any self-contradictory information. This, of course, will be changed in the Wiki, which is still the main source of information for the playerbase.

Part 2: How does it work?

Seeing as I actually have most of this stuff already written down, the process will be quite simple, and I'll break it down in stages:

Stage 1: Selection of which part of SOP to look at, out of provided options (because we have to start somewhere). This will be done via poll;

Stage 2: Proposal of new SOP. This will come from myself, again, because I have pretty much most of it already written down, so we have a solid base to go from;

Stage 3: General feedback from the community. This is the main part of the process, as it will be the one where everyone can pitch in, say which parts are right, which parts are wrong, what should be changed, etc;

Stage 4: Amendments made to SOP based on this feedback, and continued discussion, until a finalized version is produced;

Stage 5: SOP is posted on the Wiki;

Stage 6: Refer to Stage 1

Do keep in mind the following: everyone is permitted to pitch in. If you believe you have anything to add to the discussion, please do, but do try to keep this on track and problem-oriented, otherwise we'll never get off the drawing board.

Part 3: What does it entail?

The following are the proposed additions to this new, centralized SOP:

1. Security Job SOP; (added by Necaladun before he took his leave)

2. Engineering Job SOP; (finalized!)

Medical Job SOP; (finalized!)

Service Job SOP;

Supply Job SOP; (finalized!)

Science Job SOP (finalized!)

In addition to the basic SOP for each Department, I also propose:

1. Departmental SOP (as in, general guidelines for each Department that everyone should follow); (stricken to avoid bloat)

2. Command SOP (in-depth SOP for each member of Command, not in Guideline form); (yes in Guideline form, the hell was I thinking?!)

Legal SOP (standardization of Legal procedures and the action of the Legal sub-Department);

A revised General SOP, for each Color Code. This will include Safety Regulations

As you can see, this is a rather big project and, as such, will be tackled in small stages. At each point, the completed section of SOP will be crossed out, and a notification written. At the end of the journey, a single, massive Standard Operating Procedure page will be added to the wiki, with all the above SOPs for everyone to look at. In addition, of course, to their own specific pages.

And now, you've reached the end of the page. It's time to start, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by Guest

Alright, there are 9 unique jobs in the Service Department: Chef, Bartender, Botanist, Barber, Clown, Mime, Chaplain, Janitor and Librarian.

Proposed Job SOP is as follows:

Chef:

1. The Chef is not permitted to use the corpses of deceased personnel for meat unless given specific permission from the Chief Medical Officer. Exception is made for changelings and any other executed personnel not slated for Borgifications;

2. The Chef is permitted to use Ambrosia and other such light narcotics in the production of food;

The Chef must produce at least three (3) dishes of any food within twenty (20) minutes. Failure to do so is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure;

The Chef is not permitted to leave the kitchen unattended for longer than fifteen (15) minutes if there is no food available for consumption. Exception is made if there are no ingredients, or if the Kitchen is unusable/a hazard zone

Bartender:

1. The Bartender is not permitted to carry their shotgun outside the bar. However, they may obtain permission from the Head of Security to shorten the barrel for easier transportation. Shortening the barrel without authorization is grounds for confiscation of the Bartender's shotgun;

2. The Bartender is permitted to use their shotgun on unruly bar patrons in order to throw them out if they are being disruptive. They are not, however, permitted to apply lethal, or near-lethal force;

The Bartender is exempt from legal ramifications when dutifully removing unruly (ie, overtly hostile) patrons from the Bar, provided, of course, they followed Guideline 2;

The Bartender is not permitted to possess regular (ie, lethal) shotgun ammunition. Only beanbag slugs are permitted. Exception is made during major emergencies, such as Nuclear Operatives or Blob Organisms;

The Bartender has full permission to forcefully throw out anyone who climbs over the bar counter without permission, up to and including personnel who may have access to the side windoor. They are not, however, permitted to do so if the person in question uses the door, or is on an active investigation;

The Bartender is permitted to ask for monetary payment in exchange for drinks

Botanist:

1. Botanists are permitted to grow narcotics, presuming they do not distribute it;

2. Botanists must provide the Chef with adequate Botanical Supplies, per the Chef’s request;

Botanists are not permitted to cause unregulated plantlife to spread outside of Hydroponics or other such designated locations;

Botanists are not permitted to hand out (spatially) unstable Botanical Supplies to non-Hydroponics personnel;

Botanists are not permitted to harvest Amanitin or other such plant/fungi-derived poisons, unless specifically requested by the Head of Security and/or Captain

Clown:

1. The Clown is permitted to, and freely exempt from any consequences of, slipping literally anyone, assuming it does not interfere with active Security duty, or in any way endangers other personnel (such as slipping a Paramedic who’s dragging a wounded person to Medbay);

2. The Clown is not permitted to remove their Clown Shoes or Clown Mask. Exception is made if removing them is truly necessary for the sake of their clowning performance (such as being a satire of bad clowns);

The Clown is not permitted to hold anything but water in their Sunflower;

The Clown is not permitted to use Space Lube on anything. Exception is made during major emergencies involving hostile humanoids, whereby use of Space Lube may be condoned to help the crew;

The Clown must legitimately attempt to be funny and/or entertaining at least once every fifteen (15) minutes. A simple pun will suffice. Continuously slipping people for no reason does not constitute humour. The joke is supposed to be funny for everyone;

The Clown is permitted to, and freely exempt from any consequences of, performing any harmless prank that does not directly conflict with the above Guidelines

Mime:

1. The Mime is not permitted to talk, under any circumstance whatsoever. A Mime who breaks the Vow of Silence is to be stripped of their rank post haste;

2. The Mime is permitted to use written words to communicate, either via paper or PDA, but are discouraged from automatically resorting to it when miming will suffice;

The Mime must actually mime something at least once every thirty (30) minutes. Standing against an invisible wall will suffice

Chaplain:

1. The Chaplain is not permitted to execute Bible Healing without consent, unless the person in question is in Critical Condition and there are no doctors, as doing so incurs the risk of causing brain damage;

2. The Chaplain may not draw the Null Rod or Holy Sword on any personnel. Using these items on any personnel is grounds to have these items confiscated, unless there is a clear and present danger to their life;

The Chaplain may not actively discriminate against any personnel on the grounds that it is a religious tenet of their particular faith;

The Chaplain may not perform funerals for any personnel that have since been cloned;

The Chaplain may, however, freely conduct funerals for non-cloneable personnel. All funerals must be concluded with the use of the Mass Driver or Crematorium

Janitor:

1. The Janitor must promptly respond to any call from the crew for them to clean. Failure to respond within fifteen (15) minutes is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure;

2. If the Janitor's work leaves any surface slippery, they are to place wet floor signs, either physical or holographic. During major crises, such as Nuclear Operatives or Blob Organisms, the Janitor is to refrain from creating any slippery surfaces whatsoever;

The Janitor is not to use Cleaning Foam Grenades as pranking implements. Cleaning Foam Grenades are to be used to clean large surfaces at once, only;

During Viral Outbreaks, the Janitors must don their Biosuit, and focus on cleaning any biological waste, until such a point as the Viral Pathogen is deemed eliminated;

The Janitor may not deploy bear traps anywhere, unless there are actually large wild animals on the station

Barber:

1. The Barber may not give unsolicited haircuts/dye jobs to any personnel;

2. The Barber must perform haircuts/dye jobs as per the request of personnel, and not from personal taste

Librarian:

1. The Librarian is to keep at least one (1) shelf stocked with books for the station's personnel;

2. The Librarian is permitted to conduct journalism on any part of the station. However, they are not entitled to participation in trials, and must receive authorization from the Head of Security or Magistrate

Edited by Guest

Missing word: "The Bartender is not permitted to carry their shotgun outside the bar. However, they may obtain permission from the Head of Security to shorten the barrel for easier transportation. Shortening the barrel without authorization is grounds for confiscation of the Bartender's shotgun;"

"The Mime is permitted to use written words to communicate, but only during emergency situations or during official testimonials;"

There's plenty of other situations where it's impossible or problematic to mime what you need without writing, such as requesting something highly specific from the bar or R&D. Also, the only way to get people's attention remotely without miming is via PDA. I'm not sure how a better version would be phrased to still encourage minimizing that, though.

Missing word: "The Bartender is not permitted to carry their shotgun outside the bar. However, they may obtain permission from the Head of Security to shorten the barrel for easier transportation. Shortening the barrel without authorization is grounds for confiscation of the Bartender's shotgun;"

Good catch, added.

"The Mime is permitted to use written words to communicate, but only during emergency situations or during official testimonials;"

There's plenty of other situations where it's impossible or problematic to mime what you need without writing, such as requesting something highly specific from the bar or R&D. Also, the only way to get people's attention remotely without miming is via PDA. I'm not sure how a better version would be phrased to still encourage minimizing that, though.

That's actually a good point. Changing it to:

The Mime is permitted to use written words to communicate, either via paper or PDA, but are discouraged from automatically resorting to it when miming will suffice

So we can't gib people anymore... damn. Welp... no one asks where you got those human burgers anyways.

Oh and I know it's kinda late..but, add permission to the medical staff to gib morgued soulless corpses if there's no biomatter in cloning.

but, add permission to the medical staff to gib morgued soulless corpses if there's no biomatter in cloning.

There's way better ways to get biomass than gibbing people, and some of them even involve people, which might be dead (the live ones tend to run away)

I agree with Pinata here, gibbing corpses for Biomass is horrendously inefficient when you can just string up a monkey to an IV and make more Synthmeat than you'll ever use.

It's actually common place just to grab a new beaker, take twenty units of Cryox from the two Cryox beakers and use it for Cryox.

20 units per tube and 20 units for synthmeat. Lasts the first hour at LEAST, even on a moderate day.

Also, Tully, I'm gonna propose a couple things for Botany and maybe a couple others when I get home, PREPARE YOURSELVES.

Bartender:

The Bartender is not permitted to make Gin and Sonic, unless the customer specifically asks for it

Really dumb. It's not ok to make it, but if they ask for it, it's suddenly ok? It's not even that dangerous compared to some of the other things the bartender can make. The whole "it's a drug!" route, I don't buy either, when 95% of what the batender serves is, well, a drug in liquid form.

Botanist:

Botanists are not permitted to harvest Amanitin or other such plant/fungi-derived poisons, unless specifically requested by the Head of Security and/or Captain

Dumb. There's a number of dishes that use amanita mushrooms--there's far far more deadly things that can be produced in botany that are (rightfully) ignored.

Mime:

The Mime is not permitted to talk, under any circumstance whatsoever. A Mime who breaks the Vow of Silence is to be stripped of their rank post haste

If this is a black and white rule, it's going to lead to retarded scenarios where the mime decided to speak, to save his life (changeling abduction or otherwise), and some rule lawyer with a grudge is still going to demote them for speaking because "SoP says so.

Chaplain:

If in possession of the Holy Sword, the Chaplain is to keep it sheathed at all times. Drawing the sword on any personnel is grounds to have the sword confiscated;

The Chaplain may, however, freely conduct funerals for non-cloneable personnel. All funerals must be concluded with the use of the Mass Driver

I don't see why making a special ruling for the sword is necessary, when it's just a reskinned nullrod.

Also there's really nothing wrong with a cremation funeral either.

Janitor:

The Janitor may not deploy bear traps anywhere, unless there are actually bears

Bear traps work on all living things, ya know, including other hostile mobs.

Mime:

The Mime is not permitted to talk, under any circumstance whatsoever. A Mime who breaks the Vow of Silence is to be stripped of their rank post haste

If this is a black and white rule, it's going to lead to retarded scenarios where the mime decided to speak, to save his life (changeling abduction or otherwise), and some rule lawyer with a grudge is still going to demote them for speaking because "SoP says so.

But, the whole point of SoP is that it isn't solid. Exceptions are to be made in certain circumstances, even if its not specifically said in SoP. SoP aren't black and white rules, they're guidelines. That's my understanding, anyways.

Alright, I'd like to make a quick addition to botany.

-Botanists should be able to procure the stats of any plant/abomination upon the request of security/the HoP/Cap etc. (Maybe even the general public? Not sure). All they have to do is scan the plant with the analyzer, print out the report, and hand the report to the relevant person.

Y know, in case of shrimp hidden in apples, or LSD-curare explosive wheat, or what have you.

I swear I had more to say, but I forgot.

Foreword: Job SOP should not be a considered a checklist of conditions to fire someone over, and should not be rigidly followed to the letter in detriment of circumstances and context. As always, SOP can be malleable if the situation so requires, and the decision to punish a crewmember for breaching it ultimately falls onto the relevant Head of Staff, for Department Members, or Captain, for the Head of Staff.

These are meant to be workplace guidelines of how to do your job. Changling abduction really breaks the "Standard" part of SoP.

Really dumb. It's not ok to make it, but if they ask for it, it's suddenly ok? It's not even that dangerous compared to some of the other things the bartender can make. The whole "it's a drug!" route, I don't buy either, when 95% of what the batender serves is, well, a drug in liquid form.

I thought I had removed this before posting, disregard it.

Dumb. There's a number of dishes that use amanita mushrooms--there's far far more deadly things that can be produced in botany that are (rightfully) ignored.

Amanitin, not Amanita. They're free to grow anything and harvest anything they want, so long as dispose Amanitin or any lethal poisons they can make. As for the whole teleportation thing, that can be covered under Assault/Attempted Murder, depending on severity.

Jamania and Necaladun got to this before I could. Refer to their comments.

If anyone legitimately demands the mime be fired because they broke the Vow of Silence to save their own life, or someone else's life, they will most likely be ignored, slapped out of the room, or be on the receiving end of a complaint/ahelp themselves.

No one like rules lawyers.

I don't see why making a special ruling for the sword is necessary, when it's just a reskinned nullrod.

This is actually a good point. I'll be changing it to:

The Chaplain may not draw the Null Rod or Holy Sword on any personnel. Using these items on any personnel is grounds to have these items confiscated

Next up:

Also there's really nothing wrong with a cremation funeral either

Legitimately forgot that. Adding.

Bear traps work on all living things, ya know, including other hostile mobs.

Changing to:

The Janitor may not deploy bear traps anywhere, unless there are actually large wild animals on the station[/b

Next up:

Botanists should be able to procure the stats of any plant/abomination upon the request of security/the HoP/Cap etc. (Maybe even the general public? Not sure). All they have to do is scan the plant with the analyzer, print out the report, and hand the report to the relevant person.

I like this idea, but it really falls under their general work description, ie, "grow plants, analyze plants, maybe mutate plants", I don't feel it's wholly necessary to have it specifically listed.

Considering the lack of discussion, I'll be giving this three more days, then I'm moving this to the wiki and starting on... COMMAND SOP!

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!