Fixing eyewear for Grey, Kidans, and other stuff

SkyPing

If you play Grey, you know firsthand about how stupid the eye equipment looks on them. It's not inherently a problem gameplay wise, and you can still play and use your glasses/buds perfectly fine, but it just looks plain silly and it discourages greys to play a lot of roles (since a lot of the roles require eyewear). There is also a similar problem with face masks and hard suits.

Kidans themselves literally can't wear ANY eyewear at all, which eliminates them from a bunch of jobs as well. It could be possible that they have some sort of custom glasses for each job (the lore for kidan reference the fact that working kidan have custom films over their eyes similar to contact lenses for protecting their eyes from mining; they could have huds installed?

Vulps recently managed to have their hard suit Sprite adjusted so their tails poke through. Plasma men all have unique space suits depending on their role, etc. I don't see why Kidans/Greys can't get some love as well (except for lack of interest)

I do want to see the Grey and Kidan races become more popular; I personally love both of these races already. I'm not sure how hard this will be to code, but I think that it would be worth it.

Is anyone actually interested in this happening?

Can't really say I care much about races on Paradise anymore. While I find the lore of SS13 fascinating, for balance or anti greytide purposes all the species have been gimped against their lore into just mildly strange humans with arbitrary play style changes or no changes at all. The sprite for greys is just a glitch, but Kidan's debuff with the glasses is supposed to be balance for the claws and armor. They'll have to lose it if they want glasses, and then you just have a bug looking human. It's a dumb debuff that makes them useless outside roleplaying purposes but, meh, not my department.

Honestly the only race I feel has a proper game changing implementation is the IPC's and thats just because their buffs and debuffs deal with things you're actually likely to encounter in common round play, rather than arbitrary things like "a buff to unarmed attacking" and "Resistance to cold, but not immunity" for "Harder time finding shoes" and "high flammability" Because everyone tries to commit murder or defend themselves unarmed, and you're sooooo likely to run into cold that isn't just exposure to space, which you'd need a suit for anyways.

Kidan have a single weakness; they can't wear eyewear.

If they could wear eyewear, they'd be completely, totally, and utterly overpowered.

Kidan weren't allowed to have glasses for balance reasons, not because people were unwilling to make sprites for them.

Grey def need better glasses sprites, eventually.

If they could wear eyewear, they'd be completely, totally, and utterly overpowered.

Kidan weren't allowed to have glasses for balance reasons, not because people were unwilling to make sprites for them.

But as faras I'm aware, Kidan's innate armor was removed wasn't it? Or at least lowered dramatically? I was nearly positive I remembered that being one of the first things to go when a lot of the old racial stuff went out the window, like Slime's being able to vent crawl, Vox Leap, all that noise.

If it HAS been removed then... well the no glasses thing is kind of overboard for claws (Something Tajaran/Vulpkanin have.)

If it's still there, then..... welp.

According to fox, any species with any sort of buff at all is overpowered, though I really can't see how letting Kidan wear modified glasses would hurt anything if Science has to make them.

But as faras I'm aware, Kidan's innate armor was removed wasn't it? Or at least lowered dramatically? I was nearly positive I remembered that being one of the first things to go when a lot of the old racial stuff went out the window, like Slime's being able to vent crawl, Vox Leap, all that noise.

If it HAS been removed then... well the no glasses thing is kind of overboard for claws (Something Tajaran/Vulpkanin have.)

They have built in 20% brute resistance.

They have built in 20% brute resistance.

Huh...

Welp.

A 20%, which I may note, is actually fairly significant in most combat situations (since Brute is by far the most common damage you'll endure) and when paired with good armor makes you quite the tanking machine.

Their inability to wear eyewear is fine if you ask me. You lose two main features: Flash protection and HUD information. I often find myself slapping on a welding mask when playing a Kidan security role and flipping it down when I expect to be near a flashers, it's a tactical choice really. Kidan is one of the few races I believe is fine balance-wise. However it would be nice if they could tank alcohol like they do brute damage before getting drunk!

Huh. Well. Scratch Kidan then.

We're all good with the Grey thing, riiiiiight?....Riiiiiiiiaiaaaaaaaaiiiight?

It's just a matter of finding someone who cares enough, and, more importantly, has enough time to do so.

The grey thing is of course purely an issue of sprites being made, although I doubt missing sprites are what discourages people from playing Gray; basically nothing looks good on IPC's and people play those all the time.

Glasses on IPCs that have their monitors disabled look horrible.

I personally like to think that IPCs slot their glasses somewhere inside the head, right in front of the optics.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use