Medical Job SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

Whether or not blood everywhere causes infections or not, this isn't /tg/ there's a very small roleplay standard. Again this seems to cross the meta-line. NT would expect their surgeons to keep everything clean and sterile. Unless, of course, there's a flood of patients because shit is hitting the fan and medbay is in overloaded triage mode; but as stated earlier SOP is malleable. No command player worth their rank would roast the surgeon for not keeping everything tidy when all the doctors in medbay are currently up to their arms in gore because a black hole, a transdimensional demon, crazed space freaks, alien monstrosities, batshit insane greyshirts, and a deranged comdom are all releasing hell on the station all at once.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda can't spread an airborne with consent, even if the crew were aware.

Got you covered there, Von Bon. My proposal already requires the Captain's (and CMO's, no less) OK along with heads notification to even release a contact/airborne pathogen. So the Cap is basically authorizing a release that could be without consent of the infected.

My reasoning is that virals mess with diona crew, and an airborne/contact pathogen shouldn't be released without a damn good reason, the crew knowing and the heads approving it.

Remember this is STANDARD operating procedure. Xenomorphs and other emergencies don't fall under that, esp code green procedure, so anyone firing you for not being able 100% by the book in those situations is a condom.

The virologist shall make any intended viral release inject only.

Any intended viral release that is spread by contact or airborne must be approved by the Captain AND the CMO and announced to all heads.

The problem I have with this is the fact that Virology is Pure RNG, which can potentially screw over the Virologist because of Method of Administration. And, IIRC, viruses don't mutate on transmission, so contact/airborne viruses should still be safe.

The virologist shall not leave virology's quarantined lab if infected with a unknown or harmful virus, or a beneficial virus that is spread by contact or airborne, unless they have the CMO's consent.

Same as the above, but I'll add a "No experimenting on yourself and then leaving uncured"

Approved viruses shall not be distributed to another person without consent unless authorized in advance by the Captain.

Again, see above. As long as the virus is beneficial with 1-2 neutral symptoms, then it shouldn't really be a problem if a random person gets infected with it, so long as the crew is informed what it does. And if it does, in fact, mutate, that's what the antibody vial is there for.

One more quick skim over edit that may or may not be wrong

Under Surgery-1, it only requires gloves. It states under the guide to medicine that masks also prevent infection. Regardless of whether they're mandatory or just a nice little bonus (though I trust the guide), I think that masks should be mentioned SOMEHOW.

Yeah after trying several times with and without masks, I do not think they actually contribute to leading to infections in open surgery. Though, I do think for IC reasons should wear one, for same reasons in RL. Probably goes the same for the medical masks when used for anesthetics but I don't think they function differently any other internal mask.

Also maybe have it so anesthetics shouldn't be taken out of the operating room as well.

Sometimes I see them ditched at Cyropods for some reason and not returned...that and, well, can't think of any good excuses as to why someone would need one outside of the room without malicious/clown intent.

Regarding Viral Procedures: Some sick patients try and dash out after knowing they have a virus, antag or not for some RP reason. So am thinking 2 should firmly mention that if someone makes a run for it the CMO needs to hit quarantine button on desk or subdue the person with whatever means to stop the person spreading the virus. Or add another lien that containment and isolation is top priority. (either way word it better than me)

As for DNR's : They should be signed by the person and then verified and stamped by the CMO and all the other doctors notified. It should relate to all doctors and not just the coroner, though they def should keep the bag tagged for such too.

Maybe thinking Virus crates should only authorized, signed and stamped, from the CMO rather than freely ordered by whoever-convinced-cargo. It requires the right access anyways and outside of virology it can only be used for malcontent.

And, IIRC, viruses don't mutate on transmission, so contact/airborne viruses should still be safe.

Technically, all viruses mutate on transmission, but the only thing that changes is the severity and chance of it's effects. Things like how much healing longevity syndrome gives, or how much ethanol glasgow syndrome gives. Mutating to a completely new symptom is impossible, as far as I know. Even if you stand in a radiation storm, it won't mutate.

OH. Masks SHOULD probably be mandatory or recommended for Coroners for the purpose that they handle corpses. Throwing up everywhere isn't fun.

Technically, all viruses mutate on transmission, but the only thing that changes is the severity and chance of it's effects. Things like how much healing longevity syndrome gives, or how much ethanol glasgow syndrome gives. Mutating to a completely new symptom is impossible, as far as I know. Even if you stand in a radiation storm, it won't mutate.

And there we go. Safe!

Also maybe have it so anesthetics shouldn't be taken out of the operating room as well.

Sometimes I see them ditched at Cyropods for some reason and not returned...that and, well, can't think of any good excuses as to why someone would need one outside of the room without malicious/clown intent.

That's part of Surgery SOP, in the "inventory" part.

Regarding Viral Procedures: Some sick patients try and dash out after knowing they have a virus, antag or not for some RP reason. So am thinking 2 should firmly mention that if someone makes a run for it the CMO needs to hit quarantine button on desk or subdue the person with whatever means to stop the person spreading the virus. Or add another lien that containment and isolation is top priority. (either way word it better than me)

I'll add something for that.

As for DNR's : They should be signed by the person and then verified and stamped by the CMO and all the other doctors notified. It should relate to all doctors and not just the coroner, though they def should keep the bag tagged for such too.

If someone doesn't want to be resuscitated, they can just stay Ghosted. I was talking about Sec-based DNRs, such as dead vampires and such. I'll make it clearer.

Maybe thinking Virus crates should only authorized, signed and stamped, from the CMO rather than freely ordered by whoever-convinced-cargo. It requires the right access anyways and outside of virology it can only be used for malcontent.

That'd be for Supply SOP. I already have that in consideration, we'll get there.

To clarify on the matter of biological waste.

If there is a virus around, blood, bile, mucus, and other such substances can in fact aid the spread of the virus by providing alternative means to spread.

To clarify on the matter of biological waste.

If there is a virus around, blood, bile, mucus, and other such substances can in fact aid the spread of the virus by providing alternative means to spread.

This should be enough reason on the eventual Janitorial SoP to say that bodily fluid cleanup becomes their sole concern upon a confirmed virus outbreak. (along with donning their biosuit)

Though, perhaps the CMO could be required to make notification to janitorial staff upon a virus outbreak for this purpose.

The only problem I see with the SOP is that it still allows for releasing an airborne virus, without the crew's consent. It shoul just be illegal to release one as they have the potential to cause some trouble.

It becomes harder to diagnose an infection, harder to detect another virus, all viruses hurt dionae, and finally - someone might realistically NOT WANT A VIRUS INSIDE THEM.

That still doesn't solve the problem, I think. What if I just don't want a virus in me? You can't force somoene to be loyalty implanted, so why should there be possibility to give people viruses they don't want? Sure, you may be able to cure them with antibodies, but they're still a pain in the ass. I think it would be best if the only viruses possible to distribute with the CMO's consent were injection ones. All others simply should get a complete bar in my opinion. I think it's an important issue to think about how much of that is mechanical and what actually infringes on pure RP - simply not wanting a virus because it's ewww.

About the diona thing - high body temperature makes them take burn damage faster than they can heal. If left untreated it will kill them eventually.

In that case, you may as well just not have a Virologist, period.

Point is, yes, these are IC guidelines. But at the end of the day, the person manning the job needs to have something to do. Virology being purely RNG-based means that if you restrict them to that degree, there's a high chance they're just going to get fucked over, and be unable to DO anything most of the time.

I'd rather not have that in place.

I've ahelped before as a viro and have been told to make my viruses inject only. (may have been ahelp, may have been unsolicited)

Honestly, as a viro I would like to release my positive virals airborne. I hate being a door-to-door salesman for viruses. What about this:

If a viral agent approved for release is not injection-only, the virologist is responsible for providing the CMO with an adequate supply of curative antibodies before releasing the virus to the public. The CMO will, in turn, inform the crew that antibodies are available should someone not seek to be infected.

That would satisfy my objections.

Well if we don't outright ban it, per my suggestion earlier, it will be de facto allowed. That's why I made my second suggestion.

Tully, a lot of people have strong opinions about airborne/contact viruses. I've encountered it IC, via ahelp, and in this thread. Either ban them, restrict them or explicitly allow them in SoP, otherwise there's going to be several times when viro will come to blows with the crew over unwritten SoP.

As much as it would suck, if the Diona are not on the crew manifest....no one has to IC legally care and release anyway. Would suck for the Diona until they convince someone to give them the antibodies. I'd be against releasing an airborne either way if there does exist someone it would hurt.

Uh, guys, it's already in here.

Contact and/or Airborne viruses may only be released with consent from the Chief Medical officer and Captain

In addition, all viral samples must have a vial of associated Antibodies stored in Virology

So yeah.