Give ALL CREW service channel on comms

alexpkeaton

So, this is a little out there, try to keep an open mind.

No one uses the service channel much these days. Part of the reason is that the people who are "served" by the service department are typically different than people on the service channel.

But what if we changed that. What if we gave a little love to the service channel. What if the service channel was added to the channels provided to all crew so that they can communicate their janitorial needs directly to the janitor without spamming general comms and having as good a chance to be heard as a PDA message. The bonus: crew can simply toggle the service channel on or off on their headset (let it default to "off") so they don't have to listen to other's requests if they don't want to.

This could have additional benefits which I don't even foresee, involving botanists getting requests for some plant or another from the chemist, or some other possibility.

I know it's out there, but I think this would be a great way to empower the service department and make them more valuable as a team to the station.

I don't get it-- it's the department channel for service workers, why make that ONE department channel a second common channel? I know it doesn't get used often, but that's because service workers rarely have alot to say to eachother bar the odd request for botany services, the rare chat, or to request the janitor to the bar or kitchen. I don't feel this makes much sense

If you want to request something from botany as the chemist, why not walk across the hall and ask, PDA, or ask over common? You can't just barge into other people's department channels for ANY of the OTHER department channels unless you have the correct encryption key, and that's another thing. It'd take up another encryption key slot in people's headsets.

No thanks

I don't even feel comfortable giving assistants service channel access, they have literally NO job unless they get a title or whatever from the HoP. At THAT point they should go to the appropriate dept. and get a radio, but otherwise, this is moot

No one uses the service channel much these days.

Because there is little that requires radio communication amongst the service-department staff.

Kitchen and bar might want to co-operate, but they're next to each other.

Kitchen and botany need to co-operate, but they're next to each other too.

No one uses the service channel much these days.

Because there is little that requires radio communication amongst the service-department staff.

Kitchen and bar might want to co-operate, but they're next to each other.

Kitchen and botany need to co-operate, but they're next to each other too.

HoP and NT rep might use the service channel to yell at them or organize events...

oza90xl.png

I am also going to jump on the nope boat here. Seems like it will become the next service channel, and it will pretty much spam the service workers on a new level. PDA works just fine for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use