New flamethrower type

Tauka Usanake

So I've got nothing against the normal plasma flamethrower because it works and burns stuff like it should. But gaseous plasma is only so easy to get and dangerous to use. How about a lighter fluid powered flamethrower, a Super Soaker filled with lighting fluid essentially. It would have to work differently than the plasma flamer, just burning the tiles it's pointed at rather than spreading out. Also need a different tank, maybe something you can make from metal or plastic, a bottle container. That would also limit its amount of fuel it has, maybe to 80 units, but also use a certain amount of fuel each shot.

What do you all think? It doesn't have to be easier or harder to get than plasma flamer. The only issue I can think up is how would it be coded with the currently existing flamethrower

We already have a chem sprayer.

It's OP as fuck and can literally decimate enemies in nanoseconds with the current chem code.

It was once able to be created in RnD.

I don't want to shoot chems though, I want to shoot FIRE. Something a little different than the plasma flamer. Is there a chemical that ignites when introduced to air that can mimic this in a chem sprayer? Otherwise I just want another flamethrower that shoots only fire, just not the plasma fire

I don't want to shoot chems though, I want to shoot FIRE. Something a little different than the plasma flamer. Is there a chemical that ignites when introduced to air that can mimic this in a chem sprayer? Otherwise I just want another flamethrower that shoots only fire, just not the plasma fire

There must be, I've seen people make deathsprays that lit you on fire as soon as they sprayed you.

I've been thinking of something like this - I salute you for making the thread for it.

If you've checked out botany, they get a backpack water mister for their plants, which is essentially a backpack item that holds about 500 units of liquid, and sprays it through a hand-nozzle, deployed in a similar way to the defib units from medbay. The janitor also gets a wearable water tank which functions along much of the same lines.

As for the chemical that ignites on contact with air, I believe you're thinking of chlorine trifluoride ("ClF3"), which ignites immediately after being sprayed out of a spraybottle, at least. What would be awesome with this is that it would soak its victim in flammable liquids, making it harder for them to put themselves out with stop-drop-roll.

I think something like a reskinned water backpack filled with ClF3 would DEFINITELY have the potential to be a great nukeop weapon: You can't bring your duffelbag onto the station, but in return you get a stable, high-damage flamethrower with a large pool of ammo and impressive crowd-control abilities (or maybe mixed with napalm for prolonged area-denial?). It could also be refilled with random fluids found on the station just to make it last longer - diluting the base solution with household chems like weedkiller, alcohol, space lube, sulfuric acid, etc. to give it a variety of horrifying effects.

Alternatively/additionally, something like this would be a cool delivery to come bundled with the "experimental weapons" crate at cargo bay, which already comes pre-loaded with incendiary grenades and the cruddy plasma-based flamethrowers.

Edited by Guest

I believe you're thinking of chlorine trifluoride ("ClF3"), which ignites immediately after being sprayed out of a spraybottle

Well now I'm disappointed. If this already exists then I can't really make a suggestion for a flamethrower.

Naw, making a chem backpack NukeOPs weapon seems a little silly. They already have enough things to murder you with. The other chemical mixtures does sound interesting. I'll need to get into Chemistry some day

I iz chem wiznerd, i will teach you a easy way to KILL EVERYTHING WITH FIRE, NAO!

Step 1. Either order a water tank backpack from cargo and get the janitor to unlock it or ask/robust the janitor or botanist for theirs.

Step 2. Bug R&D for uranium sheets. (Unless you are in R&D then bug mining for uranium sheets.)

Step 3. Grind the uranium sheets.

Step 4. Add 50u of Phlogiston, Napalm, Chlorine Trifluoride, Black Powder, FluoroSulphuric Acid, Sulphuric Acid, Uranium, Plasma and Potassium.

Step 5.

Step 6. Profit.

Step 7.

Err, without water, what's the purpose of the potassium?

they asplode even more when they try to use water to put it out?

Thing is, the way water extinguishes, is that it works only as a contact reagent - unless they're taking water patches, which seem super silly, it's unlikely that it'll actually interact with the potassium

First off i forgot you also put in 50u of space lube and that will fill it up all the way, secondly if you spray them with this it will light them on fire and they'll have potassium on them if they stop drop and roll and it doesn't work (Which with this mix it most certainly wont) what's the next thing they'll do? Spray themselves with a fire extinguisher. What's in a fire extinguisher? Water.

what's the next thing they'll do? Spray themselves with a fire extinguisher. What's in a fire extinguisher? Water.

Thing is, the way water extinguishes, is that it works only as a contact reagent - unless they're taking water patches, which seem super silly, it's unlikely that it'll actually interact with the potassium

I... am almost tempted to try this out now. For Science of course. Everything done in the name of science is good.

But still, kind of want an item that served this purpose instead. At least this is more work than plasma flamer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use