Mining Doctor

LightFire53

The title really says it all.

The logic here is that the Brig Physician is specially for the brig, but isn't a required job. They also usually don't see a ton of action. While the suggested position here isn't also a required job, Miners are far more likely to get injured badly, and having a doctor on hand who will actually respond to calls for help would be helpful. Not sure what kind of perks you can give them, but I also assume it wouldn't need to be a karma position.

Not sure what kind of perks you can give them, but I also assume it wouldn't need to be a karma position.

I'd make it a karma position, though.

5 KP, standard price.

Perks? Give them a small medical room with only basic first aid supplies on Mining.

And a medical hardsuit.

I know why you want that job, I know it's inconvenient to save miners when you're just a station doctor, but I'm not sure if the place is right...

theres already a small medical room with a sleeper on mining. Maybe add a locker with some medkits i suppose.

I love the idea, if only for the fact that it mean miners will have to be careful about the mining station since the medic would not have a hardsuit on all the time i presume.

Having a medic with mining access would be pretty usefull for miners that get hurt tho.

I can see this role being used a lot when it's implemented, but then fading away to a rarely used role once time goes on, and people realize they don't get to do much. Still, it's an interesting idea. I can see them getting a hardsuit to go out and collect damaged/dead miners, some equipment to fix 'em up, and maybe a defib unit. And a slightly better dedicated room for them to stay and keep miners healthy.

I can see this role being used a lot when it's implemented, but then fading away to a rarely used role once time goes on, and people realize they don't get to do much. Still, it's an interesting idea. I can see them getting a hardsuit to go out and collect damaged/dead miners, some equipment to fix 'em up, and maybe a defib unit. And a slightly better dedicated room for them to stay and keep miners healthy.

Instead of a hardsuit, how about giving them a weaker version of an odysseus or something similar to act as an eva recovery vehicule, having the ability to grab the miner in an internal air area with no other capacity than transport and maybe a small amount of drug to keep the patient alive in critical.

Main reason i like this idea is because its an extra encouragement for miners to be carefull with the mining station (and encouragement for them to report damage and get them fixed) since theres an unsuited staff on board. It becomes moot if the mining doc is also running around in a suit all day.

Instead of a hardsuit, how about giving them a weaker version of an odysseus or something similar to act as an eva recovery vehicule, having the ability to grab the miner in an internal air area with no other capacity than transport and maybe a small amount of drug to keep the patient alive in critical.

Main reason i like this idea is because its an extra encouragement for miners to be carefull with the mining station (and encouragement for them to report damage and get them fixed) since theres an unsuited staff on board. It becomes moot if the mining doc is also running around in a suit all day.

I kind of want them to have a hardsuit just because medical gets some last I thought. Also they'll need some protection if they have to get the miner out of a monster's agro range. As for the vehicle you could make them a mining paramedic with an anti-grav cart to carry people around on. Seems like the most sound idea to me.

If anything they can be a miner with medical training too. Go out there and mine also but be on call when someone gets hurt.

Edited by Guest

well, if they have an hardsuit it remove the main interest i had in the suggestion. I dont really care that miner get hurt since they generally can be saved by other miners anyway. What i liked about it was that miners would finally have to actually be careful with mining outpost. Nothing i hate more than seeing that place with the eva sas overriden wide open, holes to space etc and not a soul mentioning it to engineering to get fixed since they dont give a fuck about it, they have suits.

Miners getting hurt is the only reason you'd have a medic out there on the mining outpost. In fact having a mining medic isn't going to change any of your gripes because still no one is going to care afterwards even if the medic doesn't have a suit. Given the trouble or bother for anyone to go to the outpost, from engineers to security to yes even medical personal, only miners go there even if someone else is needed. With an actual medic out there it helps slightly lower the tide of dead or dying bodies that Medbay has to deal with. And if all goes well then the miner can get right back to work on the asteroid after the mining medic patched them up

it most definitly wont fix my gripe for sure, but it would be a step toward fixing it. I mean right now, for all intent and purpose, mining outpost could be completely open to space it would not really change much and thats my gripe. Mining outpost exist as a sealed construction protected from the harsh environment from the asteroid, but since miners walk around with their own little protection they have no respect for the outpost. At least if someone else need the place to be liveable theyll complain at the miners and slowly induce a minimum of respects to their remote workplace.

I dont really care either way, from my point of view, mining doctor is not needed in anyway, this is simply the one reason i could find why they would be beneficial to have. As far as saving miner goes, any miner can just toss the miner into the sleeper on mining outpost, throw in 29cc of omnizyne and if its not enough, drag his now stable ass to med bay.

Having the QM have to save a miner because no one else cares/has access can really suck. This could free the QM from having to shut down supply for 20 minutes if he doesn't have techs and needs to rescue a miner.

Also, having a mining doc would cetainly make the asteroid far more risky a location for cult/antags to use for their interests (or a far better one if the mining doc is an antag). And since cargo can be co-opted because of this, it will protect cargo a bit also.

All good things from my perspective. I'm definitely in favor of a slight karma price for this.

Let's make this happen.

* Jumpsuit

* Sechud Icon

I THINK that's all...? Maybe a combo supply/medical headset, but the brig doc doesn't get a medical headset either...

Something to track the GPS's, theres no way to find a miner if they go down without it. Not to mention if a miner DOES go down, it probably will be to a monster, so something for defense that cant be used in the station other then the Accelerator, otherwise the doctor could just go out and hunt with the miners from the get go rather then being a healer.

As much as I like the idea, this would be a 4th miner. And that comes with number of problems. Sure, maybe its no in their job description to mine, but what else is a guy going to do on the mining outpost waiting for someone to trigger gibeonite or get beat up by a basilisk and goliath at the same time.

They'd need a hardsuit comparable to the mining suit because of wildlife, mining and medical access, and have a weapon to defend themselves in vacuums.

It just screams powergaming to me. As a non-antag, you get to hide on arguably the safest place the game, as only a few roles can get their without breaking in, and you get a weapon if someone comes hunting you. Having a cache of medical supplies that nobody else is going to be able to get at helps too.

As an antag, you get a spacesuit AND everything you need to get gibonite. Bomb your way into the armory cause you can or make the AI core a smoking crater if you think he's getting in your way, or MALF.

I was thinking just making an odysseus for the mining doc - doesn't have mining equipment, and won't let them wander the asteroid on their own, as I don't plan on giving them their own hardsuit. Ideally, their playstyle should focus on evading the monsters, rather than terminating them - the odysseus should let them weather a few hits, while transporting injured miners to safety. A karma cost should keep candidates in line, and base medical access gives them something to do before anything kicks in - say, ask for additional medicines from medbay.

Ooh. Well, what if there was a kinetic accelerator-like device that pushes things away? Only pushes a single tile in pressurized environments, but without pressure can push further, to knock mining mobs away, but not deal damage. It could be a one shot-reload like the KA, or maybe a self charging multishot item, to potentially knock back the pesky hivelords and their multiple broods.

Mmm, a special gravitational catapult, for vacuums only, perhaps... Though personally, I was thinking the doctor would kite the mobs away from their charge, and return once the coast was clear. We'll see, though...

This comes across as blatantly taking the risk out of mining altogether...for a job that is deliberately set up to be high risk, but high reward. For rounds where miners are competent, the doctor isn't going to have anything to do but run around with (or in) his toys doing goodness know what. For the times where he is needed well...the vast majority of mining accidents are because of lack of skill and poor judgment on the miner's behalf.

While legit accidents do happen, I can count on a single hand the amount of times where I had to be rescued by someone, and I've played this job a lot--the time I did need help, it was 100% my fault, too, for not paying attention to my environment or what was going on around me.

Likewise, we already have someone who can retrieve injured people and they have a space suit to boot: the paramedic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use