Messaging Console mineral alerts

Keroman

I've seen on /tg/ that when minerals are deposited into the ore redemption machine it automatically sends a message to Science via the messaging consoles spread throughout the departments. The console beeps and displays the message, "New minerals are ready!" for anyone who can see the console, and when you check the console there's a message from Cargo stating what minerals are available. Sometimes this does result in multiple beeps in a row as many different minerals are added to the machine, so that could be slightly annoying.

I'm all for Sci and Cargo communicating but there are definitely times when someone drops the ball and Science is waiting for materials while the ore machine is full as fuck.

While I don't know what part of the code makes it work I'm sure if someone who was more familiar with code in general looked into it it would simply be a matter of copying from the /tg/ git and pasting into the Paradise one. No need to code anything from scratch.

To be completely fair this is only of moderate usefulness. If Cargo's on the ball they'll alert Sci whenever a load of materials comes in. If Sci is on the ball they'll have someone checking the ore redemption machine on a regular basis. If both departments are performing well then it's a beautiful sight to behold.

I think this probably a good low-stress, low-priority project for whoever feels like hunting down the proper code to make it work.

+1 as well, it's really fucking annoying when you're sitting around in science all day waiting for the lazy ass QM to announce they got minerals even though they've had some for the whole fucking shift.

+1 to this, its fairly useful. Ideally you'd be able to remotely view how much is in the machine, but just being alerted anytime another load has been added is nice.

That would certainly be an improvement over /tg/'s code, and certainly something I wouldn't mind being added as well. It would likely necessitate some new code being written, but probably not a ton.

Oy, this sounds like a good project to tackle. Getting the ore reclaimer to yell about a new ore being stocked in the science channel sounds like a 5-line dealie, though I first need to get other tasks out of the way. Remote viewing... Not sure what to link that to. The supply requests console? I might check into getting something working there, too, but of course I need to get my plate clean first.

EDIT: Have a simple first edition of the ore reclaimer merely yelling about it ready but in need of testing, though something fancy like remotely looking at how the reclaimer's doing might be better.

It's a long shot for remote access and by no means necessary, but if possible go for it, but getting updates for when mining does their job would be a huge step up since most miners expect science to check the machine every 5 minutes and know exactly when they get goodies

I like this idea. Science grinds to a halt without a steady supply of minerals to use. As a miner I always deliver my materials personally to science since I know the cargo people NEVER do their jobs, but it would be nice if science could get off their lazy asses themselves and get them for once.

Aha! I got something better working! I've ported over -tg-'s mineral alerts system, which was surprisingly easy thanks to the similarity between requests console code, and added a requests console to the mechanic's workshop, too. So now, science, robo, and mechanics will all know when any material is placed in the ore reclaimer, and engineering will know when glass, metal, or plasma is placed in, to assist with hull repairs. Just needs a bit of testing, and it should be good to go!

Wow, from suggestion to implemented in a matter of 24 hours or so. Glad this one was well-received. I'm always a bit iffy on saying things like, "Other server does this, we should too!" I like having code that sets us apart from other servers but at the same time we can't ignore stuff that works well.

Thanks for taking the time to make it happen Crazylemon!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use