Resomi instead of Vox?

SigholtStarsong

If the speed is a problem then give them normal speed and a species power that lets them sprint for a short amount of time with a few minutes cooldown. Resomi would be ideal for Security as their lore makes them out as pack hunters. Scientists too if we stick with that part of the lore as well. Resomi captain would be le cutest captain ever. Hardsuits and normal clothing would need to be modified to fit them. The meson sight is going to be some kind of issue. I've never worn mesons with a welding mask before. And they'll still need welding masks for actual welding.

Aside from the few issues already stated I think they are fairly balanced. Remove flap crawling (which I don't think is an issue with us because we have windoors installed too), no genetic mutations for them to not make super midgets, all clothing items needed to be modified to fit them, limit speed to a specie sprint power, figure out how mesons will work on them, and KEEP VOX. Our lovable bird brains that aren't getting any more insulting are not going anywhere! :P

Also for those who might not have done too much research/looking around, the resomi are based (if not completely copied) off of this which is based on Starbound. Just want to throw that out there.

Now I can't stop imagining Resomi Nuclear Operatives.

Just imagine if they could be.

They'd.. They'd just be...

Too cute to be validhunted.,,

too

fucking

cute~...

From a sprite perspective, Resomi should be a full standard sprite like humans, but have the halfling gene trait. so that it shrinks them , and whatever they are wearing, making clothing sprites good to go.

now balance wise I feel our coders could come up with a way give resomi shortsight with thermal like vision, that does not see through walls.

this makes their vision "different" not better or worse by any margin, just different.

the rest of their balance is around them being Small, Frail, and able to be picked up.

So their buffs would be

Small

Can go over tables

Cons

Easy to kidnap/thrall/cult

Easy to kill

And really if they are going to stand still in melee, alt click their tile....make them suffer by attacking them from the tab menu.

I still haven't learned the tab menu. I need to do that.

I really don't like them having the halfling trait. I don't like them being treated as another human-based mob. It'll make the coding easier, sure. But then we're back as square one with all species basically being humans again.

This may not be the case though as I'm pretty sure no one in this topic (aside from Fox) has looked at the Baystation code and what it implies would be ported. There's about four PRs that make reference to resomi as far as I saw and those four would be ported over. I don't know what they did to make resomi but I do know they had to make new sprites for all their clothing and might do so with items as well.

I don't know if I'm right in asking this, but let's stop making decisions on how to make resomi for Paradise until after we know what Baystation did to make them.

From a sprite perspective, Resomi should be a full standard sprite like humans, but have the halfling gene trait. so that it shrinks them , and whatever they are wearing, making clothing sprites good to go.

That's absolutely not the problem for Resomni clothing, at all--not even remotely. The problem for them is they're so morphologically different from every other sprite, that they have to have every single piece of clothing sprite done for them----even things like backpacks, toolbelts, etc. Vox have a lot of unique clothing, too, but theirs is largely just "trim the pants and waist and good to go"--that's not even remotely the case with Resomni.

Also the dwarf gene really screws up the quality of a sprite; if they're small 99.9% of the time, then their sprite should be that way by default, so it's higher quality.

i got to say I think I would love this, however I think that if they stand next to a wall, if any others are near that wall in the room over, they should be able to see it, as they would techincly be able to "hear" the people from through the wall if they stand that close.

For the hearing, I'd rather see it display fuzzy, gray humanoid outlines for what they hear but can't see - it's kinda ridiculous to know how to read someone's ID beyond a wall BY HEARING or know -exactly what the paper on their head is labeled.- By hearing it.

Aaaaanyway.

Edited by Guest

Hearing =/= xray vision, you see. (No pun intended?)

Just like, make whatever they can't see but can hear into said grey fuzzy thing.

Edited by Guest

Hearing =/= xray vision, you see.

Just like, make whatever they can't see but can hear into said grey fuzzy thing.

No idea how hard that'd be to code, but I like the idea actually.

It makes logical sense, plus it's another nerf to balance out the speedy boots, given how bad their sight range is, anything beyond it being grey shapes would mean they can't identify much until they get closer which... I mean they're Short-sighted, that makes sense.

This is exactly how /tg/ does drones. The hard part would be making it so it only displays beyond their natural sight radius.

Wouldn't that already be defined by their welder overlay vision? As stated in Bay GitHub the thermal-hearing-sight does not go over the welder nearsightedness. The only issue yet again, unless it gets coded in, is mesons increasing that view range above the nearsightedness

Reading through the thread, if we accept the changes some people proposed, these guys are actually a fairly good idea - Not to replace Vox, but as a new race. However, I already feel the school systems cancelling school days from the sheer quantity of snowflake code. I kinda picture them with:

• 5x5 Vision range, the fifth being halfshaded like the welder overlay. Any living thing outside vision range has a greyish silhouette marking its location.

• Adorably small sprite. To help with spriting, you could give them a single Resomi uniform, or two uniforms, one for command.

Allow them to be picked up, but too large to be put in a backpack. We don't need someone carrying around an army of Resomi on their back. At best, make their weight enough that the backpack could only store the one.

Screw the whole small eyes thing, welding tools hurt like hell. However, becoming blind would still allow them to "see" via hearing, and in fact allow the overlayed grey sprites to show up everywhere on screen.

Have I mentioned how adorable the sketch is by the way

I love Fox's notes, as well, such as loneliness causing hallucinations, and the half-health. However, if they have half the health of normal, they should *NOT* take more brute/burn than normal. Also, the movement speed buff should not be absurd.

The whole plastic-flaps-abuse is a *no* for me.

Finally, on the subject of genetics usage, I think they should not react to the dwarf gene, so they don't get any smaller.

I havent read this post but GOD FUCKING NO these things are so unbalanced please no

Also I think we have enough karma races so far, or a decent variety(needs citation) and we should wait a biiiit more before trying to integrate something like this alone into our server

Who am I kidding, Resomi'd be cutes :_(

They're insane, though.

• Thermal Vision for "hearing" - No, if you can't code in a hearing feature you don't need it. Those eyes, tho...

• Extremely fast - Not sure how this is a problem honestly. As long as they aren't dogs-on-meth fast.

Cold resistance, small, passes plastic flaps, can be picked up - So far it's a race with only like 4 debuffs and 6-7 buffs. The "able to be picked up" part I love, it's so fucking cute and probably both a buff and debuff.

Vox are fine. Voxen have like only 1 buff and 3 debuffs, whileas these have ten thousand insanities. It'd be best to modify the fuck out of them and put them in the Karma races alongside Vox. Or maybe it could be adminbus only.

Not such a huge fan on their BayFluff either. I was thinking they could probably be a subspecies (I might be using that word wrong.) of the Voxen race by lore, dunno what else besides that though.

EDIT 2: ENGGGGGGH FORGIVE ME FOR MY SALTINESS I FEEL SO GUILTY FOR HATING THIS ADORABLE NERDY FUCKING BIRD THING

100kp race.

Enough said. I think gimping it with a 100kp price tag will be more than enough to keep abuse managable.

I would much prefer this implemented as an additional species.

It'd be EASY mode since resizing is a thing, and it comes with a boatload of sprites.

d like to chime in that having Resomi as a race would be tops. Though definately not -replacing- Vox.

ALSO ADDING that from some posts made, people think the "Permanent Wleding vision overlay" means they can freely weld shit and be A-okay like an IPC

That's. Uhh. That's wrong. They still need goggles or get their eyes fucked.

They have a permanent Welding vision overlay as in the short-sightedness aspect. They can only see as far as a human can when they have a welding mask down, thus the "Thermals" they get by hearing, cuz they hear good but see for shit.

So they're short sighted, can be knocked unconscious in a matter of punches in the single digit range, or limbs broken with something as easy to get as a crowbar. Seriously they're Squish even more then IPCs I think, you can punch them to death real easy.

And the Upsides are speedy feets and the "Thermals" effect.

And the mixxed bag is the being super short and peiople can pick you up like a diona nymph/Drone and wear you on their back like a living adorable as fuck backpack.

As for another debuff.. Since Resomi are so damn small, how about dwarfism outright killing them? "Your bones crunch and shatter as your body shrinks too far beyond even unnatural capacity!"

Or if I'm misunderstanding, and these guys would spawn in with the halfling trait already-- if they were to grow, maybe it would be such that... "Your bones creak and splinter under the strain of sudden unnatural growth!"

..Or you could just resize them to be bigger and ditch that idea. Can dwarfs currently walk through flaps?

Low HP, super low unarmed damage gimps these guys pretty hard. I figure higher susceptibility to bone fractures would be a good idea.

But reading through this thread, I found a pretty golden post

For the hearing, I'd rather see it display fuzzy, gray humanoid outlines for what they hear but can't see - it's kinda ridiculous to know how to read someone's ID beyond a wall BY HEARING or know -exactly what the paper on their head is labeled.- By hearing it.

Aaaaanyway.

If that were coded in copypasta from thermal vision with different sprites (the grey outline that overlays OVER darkness and such), with things like 'examining' (looking at IDs and clothing and such) gutted or disabled to represent advanced hearing, and have a trait that makes it operate based on a variable or something for TILE DISTANCE so it could be managed on a per-species basis via a flag called 'HEARING_DIST or something.

That'd make it so this feature could (possibly) be implemented in other races with heightened sense of hearing. Maybe even humans, although the distance would be very small.

It would definitely have to have a check to see if the person you're 'hearing' is obscured by something or not, or if you're blind or not. If blind, it should show the grey outlines all over.

An interim solution for the grey outline could be just greyscaling the 'heat' outline from the heat resistance genetic power. Or just a muted soft blurry blob-shape, but that'd take all of 1 minute to sprite anyway.

Other than that I feel it's managable as a high-$$$ KP race. I'd be more than willing to foot the bill.

Also, as a sidenote, I'm pretty sure anything on the Avali Wiki is up for use since this species is pretty much a slightly modified version of that.

From the wiki; "However, because Avali lack a true iris, they often cannot see at all in bright daylight since their eyes cannot adjust much if at all to increased or decreased light levels."

If you really really want to nerf these guys, you don't have to look past your nose for ideas. A blindness overlay system reactive to light-level could work quite well-- where in BRIGHT light they get a blind or blurry+welding overlay, in dim light they get welding or blurry (or welding+blurry if blind overlay is used for the brightest stage) overlay, and in darkness they get blurry overlay and that's it. But this would go in conjunction with the whole 'grey outline' business to simulate hearing

I'm quite ecstatic that this species was brought up on this forum. I can only dream of getting the chance to help develop/eventually use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Chiming in weeks late, heigh ho. I coded the little bastards.

Thermal vision does not overlay on top of the welder vision and the welder vision does not prevent eye damage from using welders. Additionally the reason for using thermals is that the vision flag system is BYOND code and implementing an SS13-side sight system for a single questionable use would be pretty unacceptable overhead if the species was played frequently. If someone knows of a cheap and quick way to do per-tick vision updates please let me know because I would love to use it.

The code is not 'snowflakey' if you mean anything remotely close to the proper use of that word, it's entirely generic and integrated into the species system. Any other species could make use of the same mechanics (limb overlay masking would work for tattoos if someone worked on that, for example) if sprites were provided and the proper variables switched over.

Balancing hasn't occurred yet beyond a surface level buff/debuff conceptual pass because the species hasn't gone live. You're complaining about the imbalances of an unstable non-live dev branch. Fix them for your port, sure, but please keep in mind that you're not looking at a finished product.

*drops the mic*

Thanks so much for gracing this thread, much appreciated input

As it stands from what I've heard, there will be no species implementations in the short-mid forseeable future (quoting from Zomgponies here) and that time will hopefully give us ample chance to review and balance out this species (as well as reference your work on it) for that time frame

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use