Resomi instead of Vox?

SigholtStarsong

God no. Not as an additional race and ESPECIALLY not as a replacement for the Vox.

Resomi aren't even fully integrated into Bay yet, and they're just... Godawful. The snowflakiest of the snowflakes.

Additionally it would require some heavy coding as far as clothing goes, as they're a size smaller than everyone else.

Fast, Thermal vision, can bypass flaps... holy shit these things just sound bad. Interesting, but no where near balanced for a player race. Making them antags like Raiders though...

Who am I kidding, Resomi'd be cutes :_(

They're insane, though.

• Thermal Vision for "hearing" - No, if you can't code in a hearing feature you don't need it. Those eyes, tho...

• Extremely fast - Not sure how this is a problem honestly. As long as they aren't dogs-on-meth fast.

Cold resistance, small, passes plastic flaps, can be picked up - So far it's a race with only like 4 debuffs and 6-7 buffs. The "able to be picked up" part I love, it's so fucking cute and probably both a buff and debuff.

Vox are fine. Voxen have like only 1 buff and 3 debuffs, whileas these have ten thousand insanities. It'd be best to modify the fuck out of them and put them in the Karma races alongside Vox. Or maybe it could be adminbus only.

Not such a huge fan on their BayFluff either. I was thinking they could probably be a subspecies (I might be using that word wrong.) of the Voxen race by lore, dunno what else besides that though.

EDIT 2: ENGGGGGGH FORGIVE ME FOR MY SALTINESS I FEEL SO GUILTY FOR HATING THIS ADORABLE NERDY FUCKING BIRD THING

Edited by Guest

Nice job stealing IPC's fragility. If you're gonna have a debuff, be fucking original.

You're just being salty there. :P

These things shouldn't replace vox, no reason to. And their features are a little too much. BUT THEY LOOK SO FUCKING ADORABLE! I want these so bad but they would need so many edits done to them. The best I could imagine is that they are civilian-only race (however you code that in) as I can only imagine them not wanting or having no reason to want to work for Nanotrasen, let alone them might be not-fitting for employment. That might make them a graytide only race though...

They're so cute though. Can't there be some way to get them into our codebase without having such a bad time?

Maybe if we remove at least the high speed stuff and plastic flap-passing, it could be nerfed to a nice-enough point.

This way they'd still need IDs and can't be ultrafast but they'll at least be not entirely OP-pls-nerf and kinda in the normal karma race range of OP ness.

i still feel very guilty about being this salty to something this cute.

I wouldn't mind seeing these little guys coming here, myself.

But on the balancing aspects;

-They can be like the vox, unathi, and skrell in needing hardsuits modified? They are midget raptor things, after all, the big bulky hardsuits wont fit on them without heavy modifying

-Maybe make it so that they need welding goggles too, since they DO have eyes, although not very good ones.

-Keep the welding goggle vision and the thermal vision since they could be similar to snakes with their infrared sensing? Putting welding goggles on wont hurt the vision radius either, maybe

-Maybe a little less fragile than IPCs, since they are still organic

-Slightly better cold resistance than a Tajaran, maybe. Just about the only times that cold resistance comes into play is when some area of the station is when someone intentionally tries to flood the station in frozen air, or when there's a breach that freezes a room but doesn't depressurize it. At least, that's my personal experience with air temperatures. You're more likely to have to deal with heat from a fire more often than freezing.

-Maybe they could have slightly less than a human, but with scratching effects of tajaran claws to bleed and bring the damage on par with a human?

-Keep the mouse eating, the Tarjans cant have a monopoly on that forever after all

-Maybe give them halfling, since they're already considered to be small? Probably wouldn't make much sense for a two to four foot being to be considered full size, and people will have to make sure to keep their windoors in their front desks closed.

Of course, you can all tear this all apart at your leisure, I'm just throwing some ideas on the board and seeing if they'll stick

I'd like to chime in that having Resomi as a race would be tops. Though definately not -replacing- Vox.

ALSO ADDING that from some posts made, people think the "Permanent Wleding vision overlay" means they can freely weld shit and be A-okay like an IPC

That's. Uhh. That's wrong. They still need goggles or get their eyes fucked.

They have a permanent Welding vision overlay as in the short-sightedness aspect. They can only see as far as a human can when they have a welding mask down, thus the "Thermals" they get by hearing, cuz they hear good but see for shit.

So they're short sighted, can be knocked unconscious in a matter of punches in the single digit range, or limbs broken with something as easy to get as a crowbar. Seriously they're Squish even more then IPCs I think, you can punch them to death real easy.

And the Upsides are speedy feets and the "Thermals" effect.

And the mixxed bag is the being super short and peiople can pick you up like a diona nymph/Drone and wear you on their back like a living adorable as fuck backpack.

Guys, the welding vision overlay means they'd have reduced sight range, as if they're wearing a welding mask. At least, thats how I read it. If it's actually welding protection, they've got too many perks, even for bay.

I think they're cute I guess. Not sure about adding them to para, let alone replacing our fun cute dorf lizard bird pirates.

They sound more like something you'd see in a gateway mission as a simple mob.

Some facts:

- They run faster than everyone else by a significant margin; if you've ever utilized Nuka Cola, that's how quickly you run.

- They have half the health of everyone else (50 as opposed to 100)

- They take 35% extra brute and burn damage

- Their sprite is very small (duh)

- Because they're small they can fit into a lot of places

- They have dual heat and cold resistance

- They have permanent short-sightedness that can't be removed

- They have built-in thermal vision that can't be removed

- They can be picked up and carried around

- They gain hallucinations and shock stages if they're by themselves.

- Every single piece of clothing has to be specially made for them (this isn't like Vox where you can trim around the edges of regular uniforms to make it fit for them).

Things to note:

- They're even more fragile than IPCs are, but they're insanely hard to click because of how quick they are and how teeny tiny they are.

- Their lore and mechanics actually encourages them to act crazy if they're by themselves...

I will say this much:

We are absolutely not cutting out a race to replace it with a new race; none of the races we currently have (as of the time of this post) are so horrible in design to warrant or justify this.

Fox in your opinion, and I'm saying this noticing you read the resomi PR in Baystation and commented on it, would these be a viable race to ADD to the station? Obviously some of the features might be changed or removed (like the flap crawling) but I think I like them as they are so far. This could also add in a new karma job, a tailor, to help assist in different races jumpsuits. Could be inline with the barber and right next to them in that little wooden room no one uses.

It should be stated that if they do go into the shock stages and see hallucinations then they are to only act a certain crazy and not grief crazy. (might be a little much asking for RP but I digress) I'd argue that would be a species ban without karma refund if they abuse that but give them at least one chance to make up for it

this is literally everything wrong with vox

but worse

much, much worse

I see nothing wrong with vox. All of them I see (aside from that creepyass traitor that needed to kill me) are good for their race. They could lay on the insults a little more, the naming they use for other species, but only if it's understood OOC that that's how they are. Anyone who doesn't, well that's what security is for

Honestly, I've been seeing a decline in Vox roleplay lately as well.

I've been noticing that as well, it's kinda worrying. Although I do try to do some myself when I play my Vox, the departments I work in dont contribute to consistent roleplay, that and the people who are around just dont care about it sometimes.

But this is getting off topic of the Resomi stuff, I still say that we should bring them in, with balance changes if required

The only balances I can say I'd like is the flap crawling going away. They don't need to do this for any reason. Otherwise everything else would be something I'd like. Maybe not make them super fast but I don't know, raptor-like should be a little faster than human. Keep their small size but make them unable to get genetic mutations as a result of their nano machine healing things. Helps out with some balancing as well as not making them more midget/dwarfy. Otherwise my tailor suggestion would add to another nice karma job (one of which I'd get). Anything else would have to be OOC instructions about playing the race as well as lore.

But that's my take on it.

For once, I agree with Tauka.

I really just don't want that plastic flaps thing, that means that as long as you have something to break the glass down you get access to like everywhere.

But Resomi'd be so cute, hell, just remove the Plastic Flaps and add in genetic unchangeability and lock it behind like I dunno 60-70 karma.

I suddenly love these little bird nerds dear god they're so cute i don't care if they get nerfed to holy living shit or even nearly humanized in features i just want to be able to stand by them all day so they don't go legally insane ;n;

For once, I agree with Tauka.

I really just don't want that plastic flaps thing, that means that as long as you have something to break the glass down you get access to like everywhere.

But Resomi'd be so cute, hell, just remove the Plastic Flaps and add in genetic unchangeability and lock it behind like I dunno 60-70 karma.

I suddenly love these little bird nerds dear god they're so cute i don't care if they get nerfed to holy living shit or even nearly humanized in features i just want to be able to stand by them all day so they don't go legally insane ;n;

I just want to play one like, all the time. I'm fine with removing flap-pass and such. Maybe make them heal more quickly, utilize protein more efficiently than humans utilize nutriment.

To be entirely honest flap crawling is the least worrying of the buffs for me. Yes it gives them additional access beyond their job, but /tg/ has the boxcrawl which allows flap crawling but people don't use it to break into places much since well designed maps have windoors blocking flaps. I.E they can get in and look around but they need to destroy/disassemble a few things so its not insta-access.

The speed and sprite worry me. After having to put up with SyndiDrones on /tg/, who are small but not very fast, these seem like a slightly buffed version of those without the free tc's. That said, small and fast makes it a bitch to hit in combat, they can juke and evade for days. They'd need a heavy stun duration to balance things out if they are going to be so hard to hit.

Welding vision is a non-issue since Mesons are so easy to get and will show you damn near everything in LoS. Granted this can be coded over/against to only show terrain, it's still one way that they can be fucked with, night vision goggles of any vareity would likely need to have special flags in the code to prevent players from side stepping a debuff entirely.

Whether or not they are welding immune is a non-issue. IPCs are immune, they aren't much of a problem, if we want to say this new fluff species don't need welding goggles/eye protection above sunglasses, I'm fine with that. If not, cargo can always make more masks and we have welding shield implants.

In short, I am against anything taking away Vox. I mostly agree with Fox in that the species we have shouldn't be removed, albiet some could use a retool or pass over again to diversify the species a bit.

To add these things? Eh, as it stands they'd be a 50-100 point Karma race if the other species we have are any indication. They definitely need some of the buffs toned down or have other things modified to balance them out. Giving them unique internals like Vox and Plasmamen would be step one, a race that breathes CO2 might be okay, but we've probably done that to death by now. Inability to dual wield items or reduced inventory sizes do to their small size would be another. (I.E. needing to drag certain large objects rather than carry them, like lockboxes or things too large for a backpack with a possible exceptions for guns)

TL:DR do not remove Vox for this. Modify and add them if you must, but stay away from my Voxxis dustlung

The speed and sprite worry me. . .That said, small and fast makes it a bitch to hit in combat, they can juke and evade for days.

This sums up my thoughts quite nicely on the matter. Movement speed is, by far, the strongest attribute a mob can have in SS13---you couple that with a sprite that's difficult to click on, and well, you get the idea.

Also, I just want to point out that Resomi officers will be the biggest validhunters in existence; they're fast and they have thermal vision to see into areas that are behind locked doors or walls--even with their limited vision, the amount of antags that are going to get caught because of this will be ridiculous.

One thing worth pointing out is, I don't think you can overcome the welding overlay with these guys--mesons, or what have you; It *believe* it's literally impossible to remove on them...but then again, I'm only going by what I've been told; sometimes Bay and mechanics-knowledge are not.....two words used together lightly =p

I remember on Colonial Marines, which uses baycode, albiet old code, you could wear a welding helmet and mesons to 'see' the entire layout of the station around you. Mobs and items weren't visible beyond the 4 tile mark, but you didn't have the shaded tiles so it wasn't a big deal. This may have been patched out, but having infared and terrain of everything within 7 tiles is a huge advantage, I don't know if there is anyway to dumb down the thermal vision to not push through walls or at the very least make it harder to identify people you can't see (Silhouettes or what have you)

I love the Resomi, it'd be a cute little addition to the station and I'd love to see them added. Keep the Vox, port in a new species (maybe related to the Vox somehow?) buff/de-buff some things about them, add a bit of lore, of course we'd need more code related to them. Of course we'd need to decide the details on them, being picked up, the constant thermal vision and welding mask sight (if we even keep it), clothes that can fit them, language, hardsuits, how fast can they run, the damage they take, are they space resistant, can they be cloned. All the details, giving my two cents on it I'd like them in ~cute~

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use