Vulp Lore Rewrite.

Kevak

A number of good points. And this being the first draft, is going to be revised. As previously stated. Not fully satisfied with the psychological bit and I have noted that biology needs work. Governmental system probably could be tweaked (or drastically altered) as well.

Personally, as a player with a number of Vulp characters, this whole rewrite is just a big ol' bundle of nope.

The only parts I really like are the forest planet part - That makes sense. But long fur in a warm clime is a quick way to hyperthermia.

Could also just be a generic "Fuck this shit I'm out" situation like "Welp, we used up all the water on this shitrock, time to go."

To wikipedia! Once I sleep. And fix my modem cause it just died and i'm on my phone.

Um, no.

This lore is receiving overwhelmingly negative response, and is absolutely not appropriate to be posted on the wiki yet, especially not without approval of the community or the creators of this race (Skittles and myself).

I have more comments to make on this lore, but to say the least, this is nowhere near ready to even remotely considered to be put up on the wiki.

Um, no.

This lore is receiving overwhelmingly negative response, and is absolutely not appropriate to be posted on the wiki yet, especially not without approval of the community or the creators of this race (Skittles and myself).

I have more comments to make on this lore, but to say the least, this is nowhere near ready to even remotely considered to be put up on the wiki.

... Preeeeetty sure they meant Wikipedia.com, Y'know, to research more about space and... Stuff?

Um, no.

... Preeeeetty sure they meant Wikipedia.com, Y'know, to research more about space and... Stuff?

Meant this.

Increased solar flare and coronal mass ejection activity. That would basically mean "Ok, our magnetic field is a bad day away from vanishing, we need to get the fuck out, NOW"

I was going to suggest either that their star was in the Goldilocks Zone of a red supergiant that was mere days away from going nova, or a Solar Superstorm like the Carrington Event.

Made a forum account just to post here lol.

Alright, I've sat down and read through your draft, as well as the comments and arguments on this thread, and I only have one suggestion.

It seems to me that you are attempting to create lore for a race based upon your own personal thoughts and feelings on said race, or perhaps you are trying to use a preexisting culture's structure as your own for this race.

Either way, I highly suggest that you take a look at the current Vulp players on the server, as they do actually tend to interact and behave a very specific way already, without a written Lore. Research those players/Characters, and maybe create a lore that fits their existing behaviors?

Instead of starting from scratch and having the Vulp players/characters conform to this new way of interacting.

Just my suggestion. And yes I am one of those Vulp players, so I do have an interest/impact on the final product.

Made a forum account just to post here lol.

Alright, I've sat down and read through your draft, as well as the comments and arguments on this thread, and I only have one suggestion.

It seems to me that you are attempting to create lore for a race based upon your own personal thoughts and feelings on said race, or perhaps you are trying to use a preexisting culture's structure as your own for this race.

Either way, I highly suggest that you take a look at the current Vulp players on the server, as they do actually tend to interact and behave a very specific way already, without a written Lore. Research those players/Characters, and maybe create a lore that fits their existing behaviors?

Instead of starting from scratch and having the Vulp players/characters conform to this new way of interacting.

Just my suggestion. And yes I am one of those Vulp players, so I do have an interest/impact on the final product.

Again, still haven't posted my full opinion, but...THIS so much.

Lore should be constructive and work well with the existing behaviors and paradigms of how players play a certain race--it should gracefully complement that behavior and not seek to control behavior.

If you've ever played on Goon or are really familiar with their culture (and I don't mean hearing about it, I mean actually experiencing and, more importantly, understanding their culture), take a look at their lore some time. Say what you will of the zaniness of Goon, but their lore is excellent. Why? Not because of how well written it is, but because it fits in with their player's behavior to a T and makes all of it actually make total sense and makes it logical. That's what the Vulpkanin lore should do as well.

*Would like to point out the IRC set up specifically for brainstorming the lore. Hasn't gotten much traffic but is quite visible in the OP.*

It's a bit much to expect people to join a specific IRC that was set up expressly for this purpose. There's nothing wrong with setting up stuff like that, but expecting people to join there to brainstorm and criticize is not realistic at all--the feedback you're going to receive is generally going to be here or on the live server. This is far more "visible" and is getting far more traffic than the IRC.

The main thing I mean by that is that although a lack of communicating with the majority of vulp players is one of the most common complaints, there's been an irc set up specifically for that the entire time. Not entirely sure why it keeps coming up.

Anyways. Next draft will be up in a day or two.

I've been keeping up and I can say I honestly did not know that an IRC channel was set up for lore debates. That being said I would love to make any additions as I have a vulp character and play her a certain way. I can give my take on vulps but I can only imagine it would be better and easier to keep record if it's spoken about in a topic, maybe even this one. Either way I'll be checking that channel now

Edit: Oh my gosh how do I use this thing it is so different from Paradise IRC there are so many people on it who do I talk to haaaaaaalp

Edit Edit: Oh, #Vulplore. I'm stupid. Joining

I don't really care for the vulp species in general, but if you really want help with lore, I'd recommend talking to some of the Baystation loremasters for help.

I'd recommend talking to some of the Baystation loremasters for help.

The individual's lore that makes Vox spam people with messages how they smell when they're around others, allow Vox players to basically grief, encourage Unathi to be condescending and violent jerks to everyone other than another male Unathi and who wanted a 2-3 page essay just for someone wanting a Tajaran that had *slightly*different fur color? I don't think such individuals would be....relevant to lore on a medium RP server, and I have a feeling their ideas would fall more in line with "lore as a means to control" rather than "lore as a means to complement".

I'd recommend talking to some of the Baystation loremasters for help.

The individual's lore that makes Vox spam people with messages how they smell when they're around others, allow Vox players to basically grief, encourage Unathi to be condescending and violent jerks to everyone other than another male Unathi and who wanted a 2-3 page essay just for someone wanting a Tajaran that had *slightly*different fur color? I don't think such individuals would be....relevant to lore on a medium RP server, and I have a feeling their ideas would fall more in line with "lore as a means to control" rather than "lore as a means to complement".

1. That's bad... how? It's pretty humorous to roleplay it. And quite honestly they don't really care if you ignore the smell or not over there.

2. ...Yet none of them do. Their playerbase can support it without it getting abused.

3. And they manage it pretty well, with it not really ever going out of hand. Also, I might mention that's pretty much our Unathi lore as well (at least it's implied.)

4. Yes, they don't let you have neon colored kitties. I don't see that as an issue. Something we should probably do away with as well, honestly.

When I said "Ask Bay" I generally meant "Get a few tips" and not "ask them to do the lore for us".

1. That's bad... how? It's pretty humorous to roleplay it. And quite honestly they don't really care if you ignore the smell or not over there.

Because it's a not so subtle way of controlling player behavioral interactions in a negative light; it's basically dictating "hey, you should be disgusted/repulsed by being around this race; react accordingly". Yes, players can choose to ignore it, but it's definitely encouraging players to behave in such a manner. Player interactions should be organic and and interactive, not structured and pre-defined.

2. ...Yet none of them do. Their playerbase can support it without it getting abused.

I've heard, multiple times, otherwise, in this regards.

3. And they manage it pretty well, with it not really ever going out of hand. Also, I might mention that's pretty much our Unathi lore as well (at least it's implied.)

Yes, our lore is similar; that doesn't make that type of lore any less shit.

4. Yes, they don't let you have neon colored kitties. I don't see that as an issue. Something we should probably do away with as well, honestly.

When I said "Ask Bay" I generally meant "Get a few tips" and not "ask them to do the lore for us".

It's taking away customization and player design/experience/input.This in particular annoys me to no end--people always single out Vulps and Tajrs on this particular subject but never complain about when Slimes, Humans, IPCs, etc have obnoxious colored bodies/monitors/hair/etc. as well. Can colors be ridiculous and overdone? Yes--that exists as much in the real world as the fictional one....not to mention when you end up limiting color palettes you end up limiting the selection of perfectly well-defined colors that don't stick out like a sore thumb, but are otherwise a slight bit unusual (Safiya, Valthorne, and Bern are examples of this to name a few).

From a "realism" standpoint? THis is the 26th century with genetic modification that results in telepathy, telekinetic powers, and the likes---it's not a stretch, at all, to even remotely suggest that genetic manipulation of fur and hair color is a "thing" in that day and age...not to mention, you know, dying of fur/hair.

Forcing people into a mold is shit, especially when roleplay is involved for their own character (even more so when it comes to appearance).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use