Proposal to bring back the Supermatter engine.

Citinited

Okay, so we've had a couple of supermatter engines set up now (some "safe", some not so safe), and people seem to quite enjoy playing with it. To this end, I propose bringing back the supermatter engine (with some tweaks, as listed below).

Didn't we have the supermatter once?

We did once have the supermatter, but it was removed in January after many rounds where the malf AI, or nuke ops, would sabotage the engine, therefore causing massive radiation damage to the entire z-level. Obviously, this was a problem, so the supermatter was removed. The supermatter then disappeared for a while, before being added in as a cargo item sometime in May.

Proposed location for the engine

I propose that the supermatter engine be located where it was originally, west of the singularity containment. The engineering outpost dock can either be moved around to next of the solars, or in the maintenance tunnel between atmosia and engineering. This doesn't look like that much mapping to do other than the engine itself (not sure how easy shuttle areas are to remap).

Proposed changes to the engine.

• Remove the emitter that is aimed at it from roundstart and move it to the engineering secure storage. This would make activating the SM easier than just turning on the emitter.

• Add an eject button to the core itself, which hooks up to the blast doors. Sort of like the toxins launcher.

Make the core start in its lead box, and put the lead box in the core itself (if you're really paranoid an AI would open the windoors or something.

Advantages over the singularity

• If the singularity is sabotaged and is released, then it is a round-ender, and is more likely to eat the station than to go into another z-level. if the supermatter explodes, nobody who was at 100% health will die from it, unless they are caught in the blast. Additionally, the reactor core is unusable.

• Supermatter is now extremely hard to explode (as it does not give out heat). To test how easy it is to explode, I stuck a core in cargo and aimed an emitter at it. I was unable to make it explode after 10 minutes of having an emitter aimed at it in cargo (just in the open air, with no filtering system). I even started a plasma fire, and fed Ian to it, and I didn't get anything like a warning over radio from it. The singularity, on the other hand, is incredibly easy to sabotage if not properly secured (turn off the SMES? Done! Cutting both cables to the enclosure? Singulo gets released.)

If the supermatter somehow explodes, it will not kill anybody who is at full health, unless they are caught in the blast. On the other hand, the singularity will frequently kill multiple people if it is released. The supermatter damage is repairable. Singularity damage often is too vast to even consider patching up.

The singularity isn't very modifiable. The supermatter, on the other hand, is, which gives bored engineers something to play with.

I've always maintained that the supermatter is safer than the singularity. Back when the SM core was located where the engineering dock is now, if the core exploded then all that would explode is its core. Sure, the reactor chamber would be absolutely shot to bits, but it wouldn't even breach engineering or engineering maintenance, meaning that the station itself wasn't compromised. The entire z-level would also be irradiated, but the radiation itself wasn't enough to kill anybody at 100% health, meaning that the only people who die were the ones who were caught in the blast (Once, I even managed to survive being caught in the SM explosion itself!)

Let's bring back the supermatter!

Edited by Guest

Yes please, SM was a lot more fun and customizable. Hell I'd settle for the AI sat being pushed over and the SM 'chamber' just being an emtpy room south of atmos (where the Mini-Sat Access is) with an SM crate, a bunch of pipes and collectors so the engineers and Atmos techs can set up the SM how they want it.

i like the supper matter, but i sounds pretty stupid that you can shot 10 minutes at it with an emitter without reaction.

if nukeOps want to prepare the station for a charge, going after the power suplies sounds like a good start. but if you had to maintainc the Sabotage for such a long time everyone will notice.

anyway if you need to make hte SM so strong against "atacks" to prevent unfair power play im fine with it

I miss the times as the doctor/geneticist when we had dying people in Medbay lobby and we were spamming anti-tox syringes.

I also miss the times when you just set yourself up in front of a tea vendor in anticipation.

SM is funnier than Singulo.

Bring back the memories!

i like the supper matter, but i sounds pretty stupid that you can shot 10 minutes at it with an emitter without reaction.

if nukeOps want to prepare the station for a charge, going after the power suplies sounds like a good start. but if you had to maintainc the Sabotage for such a long time everyone will notice.

anyway if you need to make hte SM so strong against "atacks" to prevent unfair power play im fine with it

Firing for 10 minutes is because they had a good cooling loop set up to remove the plasma/oxygen and keep the N2 below 200c. To sabatoge the SM, all you really need to do is turn off the cooling loop/coolers and leave the emitter on, or just vent the chamber.

If we get not shitty SM as has been suggested then I would approve of it.

Though I'd also prefer Singuloth being set up somewhere as a backup engine in case SM got asploded.

Just cuz... I mean he's Lord Singuloth, he has to be there somewhere. :<

I'd just make the Singularity chamber start off with full flooring, and have the Gravitational Singularity Generator (the little black circley bit) sitting in Secure Storage. That way, we wouldn't need those god-awful cycling airlocks (Seriously, just have them varedited to start with the timing mechanism off, so that they close immediately after someone goes through), and you wouldn't need to put on a hardsuit to set up containment.

Or, better yet, just make the engine room an EMPTY CHAMBER. Expand Secure Storage by 1 tile horizontally and put everything needed for either engine inside, increase the starting amount of power in the Engineering SMES to account for the longer time it'll take to start the engine, and let the engineers use whichever engine they want every round. Oh, and give them some plasma glass so they can build a proper SM chamber. If they go with the SM, they can stick the emitter in the PA chamber, and if they use the singularity, they can stick the PA in the PA chamber. And so forth.

I am in favor if code would be implemented either a more complex/updated version of super matter.

In my day, running the sm was a matter of pride as a ce. Sure you can run the singularity but there is nothing like running both and watching grey tide vaporize their arms off when they touch doors by hotwirirng sm, and sing directly to the grid. boy was that the good ole'days.

tldr; I would like to see the sing and sm as stock engines and the rust engine completely cargo buyable with replacement pieces of the other incase of emergency. I feel that running 3 engines at once plus wiring the solars is the ultimate challenge to any ce worth his salt.

And for the love of all that's holy, fix this horseshit, with or without the SM.

imOgL.png

It's space. It's meant to be arealess...because it's space.

Oh, and port /vg/'s SM WHICH IS NOT SHIT while you're at it too.

No experience with vg supermatter, but porting that could definitely be a thing.

I'd just make the Singularity chamber start off with full flooring, and have the Gravitational Singularity Generator (the little black circley bit) sitting in Secure Storage. That way, we wouldn't need those god-awful cycling airlocks (Seriously, just have them varedited to start with the timing mechanism off, so that they close immediately after someone goes through), and you wouldn't need to put on a hardsuit to set up containment.

Or, better yet, just make the engine room an EMPTY CHAMBER. Expand Secure Storage by 1 tile horizontally and put everything needed for either engine inside, increase the starting amount of power in the Engineering SMES to account for the longer time it'll take to start the engine, and let the engineers use whichever engine they want every round. Oh, and give them some plasma glass so they can build a proper SM chamber. If they go with the SM, they can stick the emitter in the PA chamber, and if they use the singularity, they can stick the PA in the PA chamber. And so forth.

I feel that having to build the engine every round would become tiresome after a while. Access to plasma glass would be great, though. Cycling airlocks are necessary to prevent EMPs from decompressing engineering (granted, this isn't much of a problem with LINDA, but still).

I just miss having a sm already constructed. Like I know it is all the rage now to go and construct a sm and bring in the thing via cargo but I feel if that is the case why not just bring back an area for it and allow people to build it however they feel. Better yet add back the rust engine and let us pick between the newer electrical engine(still have not tested) (sm engine) and (rust engine)

idk wtf sm is but ive seen vids and it's crazy as duck how high you can get the power from it

as someone who's never played engineer, I'm scared but excited

+support for /vg/ sm if all is good

I don't know if you guys could find the code for it, but Apollo station's supermatter had a really awesome explosion mechanic that should be added.

The idea was that the supermatter imploded rather than exploded. What would happen is the supermatter would have a gravity effect(exactly like a high level singulo, causing walls and computers to move), and then after a few seconds of this, the super matter would explode. This looked extremely cool.

I'm fairly sure that's how the old supermatter worked, the implosion thing. And to the stage 6 singularity thing, eating the supermatter only gives the singularity the ability to go stage 6, but it still has to eat enough mass to actually get to that stage, though the supermatter probably gives it a good boost towards it as well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use