Request: Pod Sprites

Fox McCloud

Ok, I'll cut straight to the chase with this one: currently the pod sprites we're utilizing on Paradise are Goonstation's pod sprites. These were taken from VG---VG did not acquire them legitimately; they didn't ask for the and they didn't notify Goon or anything--they just took them and used them----and since we used VG code in a few spots....now so are we. As a show of good faith and as a way to give our own unique spin on things---I'd like to open up a request; that all pod sprites be redone.

Every sprite in icon/48x48/pod_construction.dmi , icon/48x38/pods.dmi, and icon/pods/ship.dmi will need to redone for all the essentially stolen sprites to be purged.

Please note that due to the high quality of the sprites currently being used, the requirement for the replacement sprites will be very high--please don't design a sprite unless you're prepared for it to get out and out rejected. For those interested, it may be best to stick to doing one pod or a mockup of an idea for a single pod before tackling the entire project in one big go.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I would recommend making your sprites as modular as possible, more variety is always good so help make that possible.

No idea about greyscaling, if anyone knows how to do that, it may be a good solution.

Umm I spoke to hmm I think MagicMountain back in the day, and those Goon sprites for the pods had been publicly shared by the sprite designer. As far as I know, Vg has permission to use them, and so do we.

Umm I spoke to hmm I think MagicMountain back in the day, and those Goon sprites for the pods had been publicly shared by the sprite designer. As far as I know, Vg has permission to use them, and so do we.

When I spoke with a Goon coder the other day they (and another Goon coder) were under the impression it was still a very touchy subject with "a lot of residual grump" surrounding it because we were still (1)using them (2)they were never publicly released.

If you're making new designs, you need to take into consideration all 4 directions, and the way they need to move around space. If the movement looks wonky, then they aren't as good as the current sprites.

As for residual grump, I don't care what the CODERS think. As long as the guy who sprited them gave permission, that's really all that matters. Same with any other gooncode that gets released. As long as the author gives permission, there's no ambiguity. Some goon coders will never be happy stuff gets legally released, there's nothing we can do about those guys.

Well the current pods are just rotated so that's not hard to do.

a bit icky if im going to modify them for cargo...damn crates attached to the backs of ships.

otherwise just keep it coming until we get the right thing we want to sprite in all direction.

That still uses the basic Pod Sprite that we currently have, it would be like taking a chicken and adding a hat to it and saying it's an entirely different thing.

I'm still making these either way, I made another design.

yvJasNm.png

I'm partial to the first design and this one (mostly the first)

In any event, I'd really love to get some more community input and feedback on this.

There is one big gripe I have concerning the concept. No offense to Nienhaus, and feel free to refute my presentation.

But, no matter how you look at it, this is your thing. An Arwing. I know there was a screeny against it, but it still will look like it.

Nope. Sorry, we're not making snowflake references like this; it's been our policy for quite a while now and was pretty much fully instituted when we axed all the admin offices on centcomm.

This is a reference, to a game you've based your reference off of. It may not have been your idea, but it will still very much look like it if we use these sprites. And really, I think that this icon line is atleast one inkling inspired by that one maintainer Fox McButt. And we have enough of these references with simple_animals like Renault/foxes entirely..

A huge no from me.

And if this came off as a personal attack, I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this pass my mind.

That was kinda the joke, I just wanted to sprite an Arwing. And part of why I made other ones. Also don't worry, it didn't come off as a personal attack, I see where your are coming from.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else want to take a crack at this or, Nien, are you willing to continue work on this? Would still like to resolve this so it's not a sore spot between communities.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use