Request: Pod Sprites

Fox McCloud

It was made fairly clear to me that this is definitely a sore spot between communities--if there's definitive proof that the original spriter is ok with it--then Yeah, I don't see any reason to change it...but the fact that more than a couple of Goon coders have informed me that this is a "touchy" subject so to speak, bit makes me think that it's a "not ok" thing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Spriter is okay with others using their work it's up to the Coders to get over it and remember they don't own SS13.

As for the pods, I prefer the second design. Is there anyway to put klaxons or strobe lights on Security pods?

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone ever changes their minds, those arwing-esque sprites look absolutely killer.

Evaluating them based on looks alone; they feel loads better than any pod sprites I've seen yet-- if only because of how novel it is, which isn't it's only feature

But meh

Any chance you'll upload them anywhere for free grabsies, Nein?

Just in case anyone ever changes their minds, those arwing-esque sprites look absolutely killer.

Evaluating them based on looks alone; they feel loads better than any pod sprites I've seen yet-- if only because of how novel it is, which isn't it's only feature

But meh

Any chance you'll upload them anywhere for free grabsies, Nein?

Yes.

58fe5aebe2.dmi

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is my go on the new pods

51bgkzy.png

I made them that shape because space pods usually mean circular one man space vehicle.

If you wish to use my sprites I will create rest of the needed ones. Also help me decide which coloring is better.

Well I also added construction

LnDvTTN.png

For some reason when I copy sprites from byond DMI to paint.net to make these images they lose transparency.

Well this is my go on the new pods

51bgkzy.png

I made them that shape because space pods usually mean circular one man space vehicle.

If you wish to use my sprites I will create rest of the needed ones. Also help me decide which coloring is better.

Well I also added construction

LnDvTTN.png

For some reason when I copy sprites from byond DMI to paint.net to make these images they lose transparency.

Very nice,

• 2 weeks later...

yes and no, yes it's the 48x48 size but he's not making large squared pixels, just using small ones, making it detailed than is normal for SS13 art style

51bgkzy_by_mrrogueace-d90v4o9.png

Here they are compared to the current pod.

Also lack of border makes it look weird

Looks like the new ones are of higher resolution to me.... You should try to make them have matching pixel densities, that kind of stuff strikes out easily and just looks odd. That said, I like the new design much better.

yes and no, yes it's the 48x48 size but he's not making large squared pixels, just using small ones, making it detailed than is normal for SS13 art style

51bgkzy_by_mrrogueace-d90v4o9.png

Here they are compared to the current pod.

Also lack of border makes it look weird

Borders are used by amateurs, instead of making same style as SS13 currently is we should strive to improve the look of SS13 and this would be the begginning I'm willing to make more improved sprites

Looks like the new ones are of higher resolution to me.... You should try to make them have matching pixel densities, that kind of stuff strikes out easily and just looks odd. That said, I like the new design much better.

it is the same resolution 48x48 also fun fact the folder is called 48x48 but the icons are 64x64 for some reason..

Also small miniscule update

YLslnBw.png

m1LgoKj.png

Edited by Guest

Borders are used by amateurs, instead of making same style as SS13 currently is we should strive to improve the look of SS13 and this would be the begginning I'm willing to make more improved sprites

I disagree. While it's true that some things with obvious outlines can look "bad" it's usually due to poor color choices and weird angles/linework. Having a darker outline can really help bring more depth to something that would otherwise appear very flat.

I disagree. While it's true that some things with obvious outlines can look "bad" it's usually due to poor color choices and weird angles/linework. Having a darker outline can really help bring more depth to something that would otherwise appear very flat.

I was talking about strong outlines, and if you look you can see that my icon has outlines, if i would remove outlines it would look verry different. and in SS13 everything does look rather flat even with nice fat outlines

Really doesn't match normal SS13 sprites. Are you using the same pixel count?

This, so much.

Most SS13 sprites are simple, outlined, and communicate only what need to be communicated with only a few minor details.

Whatever the re-designed sprite may be, it needs to be in line with the general SS13 theme....and that design uh...isn't it, no offense.

Still looking for potential submissions on this, by the way!

Really doesn't match normal SS13 sprites. Are you using the same pixel count?

This, so much.

Most SS13 sprites are simple, outlined, and communicate only what need to be communicated with only a few minor details.

Whatever the re-designed sprite may be, it needs to be in line with the general SS13 theme....and that design uh...isn't it, no offense.

Still looking for potential submissions on this, by the way!

Well, tried to make the coloring simpler since you guys don't want to improve look of SS13

ZHpENWY.png

• 2 weeks later...

While improving the look is a good endeavor, it's not something that can be done a sprite at a time without causing a huge period of disassociated styles. If the entire game were to be redone to a higher degree of quality, huge numbers of sprites would need to be redone at once, which is a hell of a lot of work for something that is pretty much okay right now anyways.

Also, I'm working on something for this. Might be worth putting up. We'll see.

Finished a starter design, without different color versions and such yet, but here's my take:

f6VLJH7.png

And again, upscaled to the 2x2 that the actual pod is, I'm not sure if that matters or whatever but here it is.

pOLj7D2.png

Well, tried to make the coloring simpler since you guys don't want to improve look of SS13

ZHpENWY.png

I figured out why it looked weird to me, it wasn't the border, It was the colors.

Here's the Original. | Here's the Recolor

design1_color4_by_mrrogueace-d949fu0.png

the "48x48" for you

color4_by_mrrogueace-d949fat.png

Finished a starter design, without different color versions and such yet, but here's my take:

f6VLJH7.png

And again, upscaled to the 2x2 that the actual pod is, I'm not sure if that matters or whatever but here it is.

pOLj7D2.png

I like it but it looks bigger than 48x48

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use