OH GOD IT'S LOOSE - Guide to Singularity Safety

Citinited

1. Introduction

Hello there! I'm Chief Engineer Simon Grey and today I'll be running through how to set up the singularity safely! I'd like to preface this guide by saying that it is absolutely essential to make sure the singularity is set up correctly. Recently I've seen more shifts than not where the singularity was released due to negligence on behalf of the engineering team. cian2066 wrote a guide on how to set the engine up a while back, but I thought I'd add some ways to troubleshoot the engine and how to verify it's been set up properly. REMEMBER: the singularity has the capacity to destroy the station and everything we hold dear in a few minutes, so it's critical that you don't screw up with the engine. LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS!

2. How to set up the engine

Firstly, take a look at this picture. Everything's labelled, and the wiring is exposed, so you can get a feel for where the wires should be. See the collectors? Those trasport generated power via the cables to the emitters and the SMES.

pXV32to.png

Anyways, onto setup. This is the bit that everyone knows, but I'll just go through it anyway. If you're quick you can be done with it in ten minutes, collect your praise from the Chief Engineer, and piss off to the bar to get wankered. Here's a step-by-step guide:

The first (and VERY IMPORTANT) step is to set up the SMESs. IF THIS IS NOT DONE YOUR SINGULARITY WILL NOT POWER THE STATION AND WILL BE RELEASED.

• SMES SETUP

1. Go to the SMESs, set each one to 'auto', TURN IT ON, and maximise its input (200,000W).

2. Set its output to match the needs of the station (100,000W should be sufficient).

Now onto the engine.

• PARTICLE ACCELERATOR SETUP

1. Wrench down the seven parts of the particle accelerator.

2. Use cable coil to wire up each part of the particle accelerator.

3. Screwdriver shut each part of the particle accelerator.

DO NOT TURN ON THE PARTICLE ACCELERATOR YET.

• CONTAINMENT SETUP

1. Acquire hardsuit and internals and head on outside. DO NOT FORGET TO TURN ON YOUR MAGBOOTS.

NB: if you do not have enough power to create a stable containment field, acquire a PACMAN generator and solid plasma fuel, wrench down the generator so it delivers power to the cables on the outside, knot the cable underneath the generator (click the tile under the generator with a cable coil), stick the fuel in it, and turn it on. Then proceed as normal.

2. Turn on the four emitters and lock them with your ID, and turn on the eight field generators. DO NOT forget to do this! DO NOT WALK IN FRONT OF THE EMITTERS WHEN TURNED ON, they are quite nasty if you get hit.

3. Head back inside.

Now it's time to set up the radiation collectors. DO NOT TURN ON THE PARTICLE ACCELERATOR YET.

• COLLECTOR SETUP

1. Open secure storage (ask the AI to do it, ask the Chief Engineer to do it, or break into the chief engineer's office and press the button yourself).

2. Acquire the plasma canister inside secure storage, and get six plasma tanks from the tank storage.

3. Fill each plasma tank to 1013kPa with the plasma canister. (IMPORTANT: ENSURE YOU HAVE A TANK IN THE CANISTER BEFORE OPENING THE CANISTER VALVE!)

4. Put one filled tank in each collector, and turn them on. Lock them by using your ID on them.

STOP RIGHT HERE! Have you checked the telescreen to verify the field is online?

If it's like this:

rzRLZts.png

Then you dun goofed and you need to head outside to turn on all the field generators and emitters.

If it's like this:

lmqB84y.png

You're good to go. Now, finally, we can turn on the particle accelerator to summon Lord Singuloth.

• SINGULOTH GENERATION

1. Put on radiation suit and optical meson scanners (optional).

2. Turn the Particle Accelerator on, and to 2. Beware of EMPs - they can cause damage if you have mechanical parts, and toggle stuff like radios to off.

3. When the singularity reaches stage 3 (or five tiles across and purple), turn the Particle Accelerator to 0.

Final step is to verify your SMESs are charging. So go to the SMES units, check they are turned on and set to 'auto', that their input is at 200,000W and their output is at 100,000W.

Congratulations, you have set up the singularity engine. Celebrate by jumping into the singularity asking the Chief Engineer what to do next.

3. Troubleshooting before it's too late

Singularity looking a little large? SMESs not charging? Well clearly something is wrong! Here are some ways in which the singularity can easily escape.

1. Drained SMESs / SMESs NOT TURNED ON

This is probably the biggest cause of containment failure - the SMESs in engineering get drained or are not turned on, therefore causing the emitters to become unpowered. To fix, make sure the station is powered. Check the SMESs and verify that they are set to 'auto' and that their input is maxed out, AND THAT THEY ARE TURNED ON. Also, make sure that their output is set properly - 100000W on each should be sufficient (if you need power fast you can max their output). If you have checked and the station is still unpowered (hint: use a multitool on station grid), check nobody has sabotaged the station power cables. Also check that the radiation collector arrays have plasma tanks in them, and that the tanks are filled with plasma.

If you need extra power (e.g. someone put down a couple of powersinks), you can wire the engine into the grid, but this is probably inadvisable due to instakill if someone shocks a door or something.

2. Incorrect containment setup

Check that containment completely surrounds the generator. Refer to the pictures above to see what it should look like.

3. Particle Accelerator left on a dangerous setting

If your singularity is stage 3 (five tiles across), DO NOT leave the Particle Accelerator on a higher setting than 0. If your singularity is stage 4 (seven tiles across), DO NOT turn the Particle Accelerator on whatsoever. Turn it off, and wait for the singularity to shrink.

4. Nobody put plasma tanks in the collector arrays, or collectors are off

This is vital in generating power. Verify by looking at each collector - this is what they should all look like: rKad6FD.png. IF THEY DO NOT, PUT A PLASMA TANK IN THEM AND TURN THEM ON.

5. Sabotage

Good luck catching this, but you can always keep an eye on the singularity and verify nobody is screwing with it.

4. Optimisation

Here are a couple of ways in which you can improve the engine.

• Add more radiation collectors to the singularity. Make sure they have a clear line of sight to the singularity. make sure they are on a knotted wire so they can deliver power to the SMESs.

• Fill each plasma tank with 1013kPa of cold plasma to generate much more (2 - 3 times if supercold) energy. You'll need the help of an atmos technician for this.

Add a proximity camera to the particle accelerator room so that the AI / its borgs are notified if anyone goes into that room.

You can hack the particle accelerator! (Use ascrewdriver on the console, then wirecutters)

Hotwire the engine directly into the grid by putting wire from the radiation collectors to the grid itself (WARNING: only do this if you are aware of the consequences e.g. instadeath from hacking doors without gloves)

Set up wiring such that the emitters are powered by the singularity. Alternatively, wire one collector into the grid, which should ensure that the singularity will remain contained even if the SMESs are sabotaged.

5. OH GOD ENGINEERING IS BEING EATEN

Scream over the radio for a shuttle call, and you'll hopefully save the crew. Maybe. If the singularity disappears or is not a threat, and the shift continues, go and set up the supermatter solars.

6. Conclusion

Hopefully this guide has helped you set up the singularity and troubleshoot it if it all goes wrong. The singularity is safe if it is set up correctly. Don't forget, however, that the engine has the power to end the round by destroying the station, leaving nothing but vacuum in its wake. SO DOUBLE CHECK THAT EVERYTHING IS SET UP CORRECTLY!

If you've read this guide and executed its steps, then power should be stable and you should be able to verify that the station isn't going to die due to a black hole.

That's all from me, hope to see you all soon!

-Simon Grey, Chief Engineer

Edited by Guest

I seem to be unable to edit the original post, so here are some additions:

• You can hack the particle accelerator!

• Hotwire the engine directly into the grid by putting wire from the radiation collectors to the grid itself (WARNING: only do this if you are aware of the consequences e.g. instadeath from hacking doors without gloves)

Your solars will never compare with lord singuloth.

It really doesn't matter, at all, if you're not an idiot when setting up solars, you'll generate more than enough power for the station with them, the only advantage even MORE power over the needed amount has is that greytiders people who hack without gloves get shocked for more

Okay then again i'm the kind of person who spends an entire round working on the SM for MOAR POWER on /vg/, if i'm MoMMI, so I really shouldn't be the one to say that

Also the whole "lord singuloth masterrace" deal is just an entire bloody circlejerk

Edited by Guest

Quick misunderstanding in the guide: the engineering APC is in no way required for the field to work, emitters take energy directly from the cables under them, so as long as there's power in the power network, the field should stay up

Also the whole "lord singuloth masterrace" deal is just an entire bloody circlejerk

Certainly not in safety.

ALL HAIL LORD SINGULOTH

But yeah, there are many engines and power sources, but you have to agree that the singulairty is one of the most iconic ones in SS13.

Quick misunderstanding in the guide: the engineering APC is in no way required for the field to work, emitters take energy directly from the cables under them, so as long as there's power in the power network, the field should stay up

Thanks for that, yeah that was an oversight. Fixed

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the number of bald, black eyed thirty year old engineers, slapping their hands away from the PA and them some wires and point them to the solars is a good plan.

Today I had this fukken idiot CE. They left the PA off so sing was reduced to 1x1. When I check their solar wiring as we were still losing power, they had wired it with knots.

God.

• 5 months later...

Turning on the emitters before you set the collectors?!

You trying to drain the station of power?!

YOU'RE GOING TO KILL US ALL! D:>

Emitters use 300W each (in theory, at least - I've hooked an emitter up to a cable with 1W flowing through it and it worked just fine but that's probably a bug); they're really not a concern.

Also, I need to update this wrt. the new engineering layout.

Well, a good guide, but not perfect.

Your setup irks me. Especially when it comes to the SMES. If the round just started? Yeah leave the SMES on. If no engineers know how to set up the engine, the first thing the AI should do is turn off output to conserve power till someone can set up a power source. Setting up a PACMAN is doable, but its easily avoidable and the sooner the crew is aware that they are losing power/not generating it, the sooner the Heads will find a means to rectify this, who cares if they run out of power 10 minutes early if it means you can set up the Engine faster.

My setup would be 1) PA, 2) Collectors, 3) SMES, 4) Field/Emitters, 5) Fire PA. Wait for stage 3, lower to 0 and lock the PA.

As for optimiziation, I'm guessing you are not familar with atmos, because if you REALLY want power, you freeze the Plasma.

Go to atmos, rig the the space loop and freezers together, let it cycle till the tempature is below 100k (-173c), run 6 plasma tanks through a scrubber to get the room temp gasses out and fill them with your freezing plasma. Hook these babies into the Singulo and giggle happily as you are generating 3 times as much power.

6 Collectors at default Plasma generation= Roughly 800kW at stage 3.

6 Collectors at 1013 kpa (tank max) = Roughly 1.3MW (1300kW) at stage 3

6 Collectors at 1013 kpa @-173c = Roughly 4.2 MW at stage 3.

It's also worth noting that you can lock the Emitters and Collectors by swiping them with your ID, as well as unscrew the PA computer screen to prevent immediate chucklefuckery from turning the PA. This will how ever make it take slightly longer to fix and power down the PA incase of a potential breach.

Gee, thanks a lot Davidchan. Now I have to scroll to the bottom of this thread whenever I've forgotten how2engine ;P

Thanks for making that post, extremely relevant and handy what with the way power is now

I find myself consistently having to set up PACMAN and/or direct-wire solars 'cause dead SMES (when I latejoin as an Engineer, that is)

Well, a good guide, but not perfect.

Your setup irks me. Especially when it comes to the SMES. If the round just started? Yeah leave the SMES on. If no engineers know how to set up the engine, the first thing the AI should do is turn off output to conserve power till someone can set up a power source. Setting up a PACMAN is doable, but its easily avoidable and the sooner the crew is aware that they are losing power/not generating it, the sooner the Heads will find a means to rectify this, who cares if they run out of power 10 minutes early if it means you can set up the Engine faster.

I've been screwed over multiple times with accidentally releasing the singulo by lowering the output of the SMESs to maintain power that it's just not worth endangering the station - PACMAN is absolutely the safest way to go about powering the emitters. What if you get an AI or other enginneer that sets the output to maximum without thinking about it? What if you accidentally run out of power during setup? I feel that PACMAN is the best way to go about it.

My setup would be 1) PA, 2) Collectors, 3) SMES, 4) Field/Emitters, 5) Fire PA. Wait for stage 3, lower to 0 and lock the PA.

It really doesn't matter which order you do these, as long as you do all the steps before you turn the PA on.

As for optimiziation, I'm guessing you are not familar with atmos, because if you REALLY want power, you freeze the Plasma.

Go to atmos, rig the the space loop and freezers together, let it cycle till the tempature is below 100k (-173c), run 6 plasma tanks through a scrubber to get the room temp gasses out and fill them with your freezing plasma. Hook these babies into the Singulo and giggle happily as you are generating 3 times as much power.

6 Collectors at default Plasma generation= Roughly 800kW at stage 3.

6 Collectors at 1013 kpa (tank max) = Roughly 1.3MW (1300kW) at stage 3

6 Collectors at 1013 kpa @-173c = Roughly 4.2 MW at stage 3.

This is already addressed under the optimisation section, where it says to use supercold plasma. My record for power generation is 100MW, but I'm sure I can do better.

It's also worth noting that you can lock the Emitters and Collectors by swiping them with your ID, as well as unscrew the PA computer screen to prevent immediate chucklefuckery from turning the PA. This will how ever make it take slightly longer to fix and power down the PA incase of a potential breach.

All of these apart from screwdrivering the PA console are in the guide. Does screwdrivering the PA keep the PA on? If so might add it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use