OH GOD IT'S LOOSE - Guide to Singularity Safety

Citinited

Here's another thing you can do after before turning on the PA: Go to the left hand collectors, pull up the panels above the farthest left collector and then 2 more to the left, (have gloves on) wire the collector to the other wire that goes into the airlock, that way if the SMESs aren't on, the emitters don't turn off. :D

I have a question regarding step 1 of the containment setup, regarding use of the PACMAN generator when there's significant power loss. During a shift last round, the engine required serious repairs because the CE was the only engineer and he turned off the PA completely, allowing the singularity to reach stage 1 and stop powering the station. As there was not enough power in the SMES to charge it back up, I (being somewhat inexperienced in anything other than straightforward setting it up at roundstart) set up a PACMAN outside to power the containment field until I could get the Singularity up again.

Just as I got containment up, however, the generator exploded, causing minor damage (destroyed a shield generator and emitter, luckily I did not get the singularity up again and it was quickly fixed)

I'm wondering, however, if you can tell me what might have led to this, so that I can avoid it in the future. I assumed that I just "overcharged" it somehow, but since you suggested it in your guide it sounds like it should have been safe. We had also been falling victim to grief on the part of a Maintenance Drone, could that have contributed?

Heat generation of the PACMANs are finicky, in my experience. If you set it up outside by the emitters, I don't think generators can transfer heat into the environment if there is no air/gasses to do so.

If the PACMAN was close enough to destroy an emitter or field emitter, it sounds like you had it out in space. Keep it inside where air can cool it.

I honestly don't know if the default PACMAN can run at full strength without overheating, but once you get uranium lasers inside them LINDA will suck the heat out fast enough to prevent them going critical, I once ran 5 of them at once in mining dock when engineering refused to do their jobs once.

I have a question regarding step 1 of the containment setup, regarding use of the PACMAN generator when there's significant power loss. During a shift last round, the engine required serious repairs because the CE was the only engineer and he turned off the PA completely, allowing the singularity to reach stage 1 and stop powering the station. As there was not enough power in the SMES to charge it back up, I (being somewhat inexperienced in anything other than straightforward setting it up at roundstart) set up a PACMAN outside to power the containment field until I could get the Singularity up again.

Just as I got containment up, however, the generator exploded, causing minor damage (destroyed a shield generator and emitter, luckily I did not get the singularity up again and it was quickly fixed)

I'm wondering, however, if you can tell me what might have led to this, so that I can avoid it in the future. I assumed that I just "overcharged" it somehow, but since you suggested it in your guide it sounds like it should have been safe. We had also been falling victim to grief on the part of a Maintenance Drone, could that have contributed?

I've never heard of the pacman exploding... maybe it overheated like david said? If so you can wrench it down to the cables inside the station - there is one which is already wired up into the emitters. I'll be adding a picture of what the wiring looks like to illustrate this.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure you can no longer hack/emag the particle accelerator. Screwdrivering and wirecutting the console simply cuts the wires (deletes, you don't get the wires back), and emagging-- during any state (wrenched, wrenched and wired, wrenched, wired and screwed) will not turn it up to strength 3. You just hit it with your emag and nothing more.

Gone are the features that let you lock down the console, hack and turn it up to power level 3, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure you can no longer hack/emag the particle accelerator. Screwdrivering and wirecutting the console simply cuts the wires (deletes, you don't get the wires back), and emagging-- during any state (wrenched, wrenched and wired, wrenched, wired and screwed) will not turn it up to strength 3. You just hit it with your emag and nothing more.

Gone are the features that let you lock down the console, hack and turn it up to power level 3, etc. etc.

You can do it, but dont use a wirecutter in the console, simply use the naked hand, then use the wirecutter/multitool

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use