New Crime: Desecrating the Dead

LforLouise

Desecrating the Dead would include robbing bodies from the Morgue or Chapel, vandalising corpses, looting corpses, placing heads on spears, and posthumous execution.

Whilst some of these things are not common, they would be incredibly frowned upon in character (atleast by sane characters).
Other things, such as Looting corpses, is incredibly common, but still equally as nasty.

This could fit into the '101' slot - A minor crime with 5 minute sentence.
I don't know much (aka I know nothing) about coding, but this should only really be a wiki change on the Space law page, and maybe the Coroner and Detective page.

Don't know what else to add to be honest. Not exactly the most impactful of suggestions out there but hey, it is what it is.

Well, given the law would only apply to registered crew, and such also only their bodies, NT could add something like that, but in very limited form. Would say head-spikes of (cloned) non-criminal crew causes complaints from said crew, so that should probably be covered, but not much else. Other crimes also fit some things, like looting bodies is pretty theft if you don't give the gear to the right department, up to arguably murder if the headspike prevents revival.

I don't see why this shouldn't be a listed crime tbh.

Even if NT itself would not care it makes sense to have this law even if for the sake of public opinion.

I imagine taking stuff off of corpses already classifies as ?theft?

So I think it would make sense to have a law state that this applies to degrading a dead body by amputating parts of the body or using the body in humiliating way like making a tourist attraction from it.

If admins like the idea I would maybe even suggest splitting it into

- minor crime "Minor desecration of the dead" described as "Mutilation of a corpse, failure to respect dead remains and failure to deliver a dead body to coroner. For looting the dead body see theft"

- medium crime "Major desecration of the dead" described as "Amputation of corpse's body parts, Purposeful humiliation of a dead body and excessive mutilation of a corpse"

I really don't see why this shouldn't be a thing except maybe for avoiding bloat in the space law.

• Like 1

Definitely agree with these crimes.

And yes stealing from the dead is still a crime, especially if it's department property I.E headsets, gear, etc.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 11:17 PM, procdrone said:

Considering the setting (corrupted future space corporation without morals or ethics)

I doubt NanoTrasen cares

we generally take a lot of creative liberty with how much NT cares about things (i.e. sec having good gear instead of the reality of NT buying the cheapest possible equipment), so i think this would do good as a QoL change regardless of how realistic it may or may not be

edit addendum: although it may or may not be realistic, it's still a good idea to prevent players from hording corpse loot, as well as griefing those who are dead but might return to the round later

Edited by LiberatedWaveMan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use