Add Oxandrolone

Cyiko

Oxandrolone is the burn equivalent of Salicylic Acid on servers, such as TG. At the moment only salicylic acid exists for brute and brute alone.
Should be a super easy change, seeing as it's basically just changing brute to burn on the code that exists already.

The recipe on /tg/ is
3 parts Carbon
1 part Phenol
1 part Hydrogen
1 part Oxygen

Again, it is functionally identical to salicylic acid except it heals burn damage

The way Salicylic Acid works on /tg/ and Paradise is different, though.

Salicylic acid on Paradise has more function as a lite painkiller while healing some really minor brute damage, whereas on /tg/ it doesn't really provide any pain killer properties and works more as an emergency med for when the brute damage is really bad. If you use it when you're just lightly bruised, it doesn't heal as much. It's kind of like calomel or perfluorodecalin; you only use it when you're in an extreme condition.

tl;dr Salicylic Acid on Paradise is functionally different, not identical, from /tg/'s Salicylic Acid.

That being said, I think it'd actually be better to make salicylic acid function like /tg/'s version and, if that was done, it'd only be right to include oxandrolone as it functions in /tg/. Reason being, the way salicylic acid is, it never gets used and is generally considered an inferior medicine to say, saline-glucose, in every way. I think it'd see more use if it functioned like /tg/'s version.

Edited by Corocan

Having Salicylic acid as a pill form minor brute is so odd. That's how the ancient cultures used willow bark and to further quote wiki, " Salicylic acid was also isolated from the herb meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria, formerly classified as Spiraea ulmaria) by German researchers in 1839. While their extract was somewhat effective, it also caused digestive problems such as gastric irritation, bleeding, diarrhea and even death when consumed in high doses." The most common modern use for this seems to be for topical acne / wart treatment. 

I use salicylic acid specifically as a painkiller. If you don't think its useful in its current form on Para then you don't play combat roles too frequently, or have yet to discover how amazing it is when you are beaten to hell and can pop one of these to prevent yourself from moving around at a snails pace temporarily. Its healing effects are mostly irrelevant. Salicylic is nearly useless in Medbay but its excellent in the field. (Snoflek edit: Tetra's medical records actually indicate she has a minor dependancy to salicylic acid because of this)

That being said, there is such a variety of ways to heal burn and brute I don't see why its necessary to add a pill that heals burn as ineffectively as salicylic heals brute.

Edited by ZN23X
Let it snow...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

If you don't think its useful in its current form on Para then you don't play combat roles too frequently, or have yet to discover how amazing it is when you are beaten to hell and can pop one of these to prevent yourself from moving around at a snails pace temporarily.

Why bother with painkillers when you can use patches with instant metabolism rates that'll take you out of crit, thus fixing the pain. The way salicylic acid is right now is practically a ghetto med when compared to everything else that comes in a standard First Aid Kit. The only reason I'd ever use a salicylic acid pill is if I literally have nothing else left that can heal me.

It would actually work even better as a combat med if we implemented it the way that /tg/ does.

Edited by Corocan

7 minutes ago, Corocan said:

Why bother with painkillers when you can use patches with instant metabolism rates that'll take you out of crit, thus fixing the pain.

Even if you heal all of your burn and brute damage you can still be slowed by the pain of broken bones and internal injuries. Its not just crit that slows you down.

If you want to be even more gamey with its usefulness in combat, since it doesn't metabolise instantly, if dealing with a particularly pissy adversary, you can pop one before the fight and it will help keep you from getting knocked down for as long whether its to stuns or blows that cause severe pain.

Edited by ZN23X

7 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

Even if you heal all of your burn and brute damage you can still be slowed by the pain of broken bones and internal injuries. Its not just crit that slows you down.

With a pill of 10u at a metabolism of 0.1u per cycle if you've got enough broken bones and bloodloss to put you at a severe enough speed disadvantage due to pain, unless you've got a pillbottle full of them or you're retreating for surgery, I don't think it would be a notable advantage in a fight.

Edit; I will concede on the broken bones argument but only really if the broken bone is a foot.

Edited by Corocan

Salicylic acid is coded to have a 'shock reduction' value of 25 and then to set a 'shock' variable to 0 if that variable is under 100.  I don't really know how 'shock' is calculated. Just from my own experience I know that after recovering from critical damage sometimes you're still slowed, and taking Salicylic acid gets rid of that slowdown.

2 hours ago, TheClosetMailman said:

This thread alone has motivated me to ask the brig phys for a pill bottle of salicylic acid every time i`m on warden duty.

I barely knew half of those effects

MedChem basically never makes it There's a pill bottle of it that spawns in Medical that the Brig Phys might be able to swipe for you.  Otherwise, you can find a pill of it in Brute and Burn kits and carry a couple around.  You can also try to ask for Hydrocodone, which is far more likely to be made by MedChem and lets you ignore pain completely. Surgeons often carry it to speed up surgery as you can just inject someone with it and then do surgery on them while they're awake.

Edited by EvadableMoxie
  • stunbaton 1

1 hour ago, EvadableMoxie said:

Salicylic acid is coded to have a 'shock reduction' value of 25 and then to set a 'shock' variable to 0 if that variable is under 100.  I don't really know how 'shock' is calculated. Just from my own experience I know that after recovering from critical damage sometimes you're still slowed, and taking Salicylic acid gets rid of that slowdown.

MedChem basically never makes it There's a pill bottle of it that spawns in Medical that the Brig Phys might be able to swipe for you.  Otherwise, you can find a pill of it in Brute and Burn kits and carry a couple around.  You can also try to ask for Hydrocodone, which is far more likely to be made by MedChem and lets you ignore pain completely. Surgeons often carry it to speed up surgery as you can just inject someone with it and then do surgery on them while they're awake.

So i just gotta stunbaton a surgeon then.

Wait, hold up-

3 hours ago, TheClosetMailman said:

This thread alone has motivated me to ask the brig phys for a pill bottle of salicylic acid every time i`m on warden duty.

I barely knew half of those effects

I grab the bottle from medbay whenever I'm the security ghetto doctor brig phys ?

Partially for officers, partially for Tetra's addiction.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use