Announcement Access to Magistrate

Vivalas

I was going to just PR this but it probably could use formal discussion.

I think magistrate should start with announcement access. While he is not a member of command, he is nonetheless an important crew figure and probably could use it more than a few of the heads.

It's useful for issuing clarifications on laws and when the magistrate needs everyone to hear something important, like reminding security for the umpteenth time not to bring vampires to the chapel, or announcing trials.

Some other people might disagree and claim powercreep, though, so I am making this threat to hear all sides.

Edited by Vivalas

37 minutes ago, R1f73r said:

A magistrate imo is better to be felt, than heard. While what he says should be listened to I think that it is in a perfectly fine state as-is.

Second this

• 3 months later...

I believe that the announcement systems are great for a command hierarchy. The fact that any head can just force any message to be seen by someone on the station is a good tool. The Magistrate being the most expensive Karma unlock is obviously someone who is well versed in the game. Messages from the Magistrate could be a useful tool for them to impart space knowledge law or whatever they need to say.

I'm just not sure if it's needed. While I wouldn't go as far as to call it "powercreep", I just don't see much utility in the change. The magistrate can conduct nearly all of their business in the brig, bridge, or their office and doesn't often seem to need to announce things to every crew member. Additionally, issues with security not obeying their judgements or breaking space law should be faxed to CC.

I like the idea of the magistrate having one. A magistrate could use it to attempt to settle unrest against shitcurity by announcing that they are ensuring the law is being applied to EVERYONE. Could also use it to make PSAs regarding certain laws or security regulations, as well as announce any info about the potential rare trial. I'd argue the magistrate has more use for one than the Blueshield, and the Blueshield has one. Harmless addition.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's been plenty of times that I've needed to make an announcement as Magistrate. Either shit has hit the fan SO HARD that I'm the only one left with bridge access that's available to do it, a general announcement that I'm handling shitcurity, or etc. etc. Really as @ZN23X said if the Blueshield has access to it; and they have literally no authority at all. I see no reason someone that could actually use it for useful information doesn't have it.

They also have no access to swipe for ERT or code red if needed....so that could be another use for it. After all why bother a head that's likely busy with important things to swipe when you could get someone that usually has jackshit to do to help?

I knew Blueshield could Swipe but didn't know they had bonus privileges like that. Though yeah, I do agree that if the Blueshield has it the magistrate should, as well as any other perks shared between the NT Rep and Blueshield that the magistrate might otherwise not have.

I agree with Rifter here. Magistrates are supposed to be impartial arbiters of the law. They aren't really supposed to try to get stuff under control or make announcements about space law or whatever; to borrow from current political discourse, they call the balls and strikes.

I've already seen too many magistrates that take their power a little too far and go around yelling at people for random things and threatening people with sentences. There's no need for that to affect the whole crew as well.

Part of judicial temperament is being neutral and staying out of current affairs. Note how none of the supreme Court justices said anything about Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing, though I'm sure they had their own views. Likewise, the magistrate should be above the day to day affairs of the station.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use