Parallax Implementation?

Carprillo

Hey! Just a small thing that I thought I'd suggest after coming back to Paradise after quite some time.

Put simply: let's make space SEXY. With Parallax, the fancy-shmancy moving space code that you might have seen on

servers such as Goonstation, /tg/, and most recently, Aurora. What it is, in technical terms, I don't actually know. I'm not a coder, not gonna pretend I am.

But the point is, it looks awesome. It makes space feel much more realistic and have a lot more visual depth, at very minimal tickrate/ping/performance cost.

Hell, I'm not even sure there's any cost period, except maybe a small ping increase. Anyway, yeah, go on to any of those three servers and take a look at their

space graphics, and you'll see what I mean. In comparison, Paradise's current space is just...flat, so I think the server will hugely benefit from having Parallax

added. And the best part is, if you don't care for it/your computer can't handle it/whatever, it's completely optional! You can toggle it off, on to basic, high, or 'insane'

levels, and it's just generally a pretty kickass addition to servers!

It seems pretty simple to port too, as /tg/ and Aurora ported it from Goon and it works fantastic!

It... dont feel reaistic to me at all. It looks like these are not stars but glowing dust floating few meters away. Stars billions of billions of kilometrs away would not move from the human perspective. Would like to see space retextured though.

I understand the "optional" part so people who find it attractive could have it, but i dont think we can spend coders' time resource on that

Edited by McRamon

1 minute ago, McRamon said:

It... dont feel reaistic to me at all. It looks like these are not stars but glowing dust floating few meters away. Stars billions of billions of kilometrs away would not move from the human perspective. Would like to see space retextured though

I mean, even setting that aside, it does definitely add a lot of much-needed depth to space. And as I said, if you really don't like it, it's coded with an option to turn it down/off, meaning that if you're hung up over it not being realistic, you can just elect to not use it.

And I should probably reiterate that this would probably require comparatively little resources straight from the coders. It's quite literally just a port, so most if not all of it is probably already coded.

Well whatever, if it makes you happy, why not, i accept this to be implemented.

[sign]

Parallax combined with goonlighting and the sheer size of the playerbase on paradise caused unplayable lag. So it got tossed out.

Wouldn't keep your hopes up

1 hour ago, Ziiro said:

Parallax combined with goonlighting and the sheer size of the playerbase on paradise caused unplayable lag. So it got tossed out.

Wouldn't keep your hopes up

Is the lag really that bad? /tg/ runs it with goonlighting and they consistently get 60-70 players on both servers, with little to no added lag. I mean, obviously there's a difference there, we're looking at a 110-at-a-time playerbase here, but I suppose I just wasn't expecting the added lag to be that huge of a deal.

IIRC Parallax was a huge power-hog on the same scale as Goonlights.

@Fox McCloud can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I recall a conversation where it would drop the max capacity of the server by a significant margin due to performance concerns.

I remember the round we had it in was very laggy, yes. We also had a bug where all the normally black space on screen (things you couldn't see because of walls et cetera) was instead space parallax. 

Edited by PurpleGenie
  • Like 1

We've tried Parallax before. It caused everything from client crashes to significant server lag, purely because of the processing power required for it. Even our server can't handle both fancy goonlights running at 1 tick updates alongside atmospherics and parallax.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use