List of irreplaceble items/machinery on station

TermedClepe2

In here I'll try to list all the items and machinery that are commonly used during rounds yet are irreplaceable (in their function) by building/ordering, please add more if you know of any. Hopefully someone will try and implement methods of introducing new ones into the round.

Dropper

Rapid Crate Sender

All-In-One Grinder

Food Processor

Cream Master Deluxe

Rolling pin

Splints

Edited by TermedClepe2
  • Like 3

From your post, I just put up a PR up to add the Rolling Pin to the kitchen Equipment cargo crate - https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/7614

Find a spriter to sprite us up some shoddy splint sprites. Probably requiring metal rods and... duct tape? https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/7609 is on Github right now which makes them break after 2000 steps... with this new mechanic implemented, it'd be easy for us to add some shoddy splints with only 1000 steps before breaking.

Also a sprite for 'used splints' would be sweet, for when these things to pop off... wouldn't need to be different from shoddy or non-shoddy. Just a used up looking one.

Edited by Purpose2
  • Like 1

Speaking of duct tape, both it and regular package wrappers are only obtainable 1 roll per cargo crate: from Bureaucracy Crate and from Arts&Crafts Crate respectively. I had to look this up in source code just now and I'm a cargo regular. Either autolathe or biogenerator could be able to replenish them if they are going to have a more popular use.

Rolling pin could be crafted using a knife and wood, both available near chefs workplace.

I don't think I ever made my department management console boards buildable. So you may be able to add those to the list.

Not everything needs to be reproducible. There's a lot of things that are intentionally limited for balance purposes or to generate artificial scarcity/value to them.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say most station structures should be replaceable or there should be a substitute.Some things also should never be replaceable, but should probably be fixable (ie: there never needs to be multiple gravity generators).

We also have to be careful how we make some things replaceable; just adding things, blindly, to one area can add additional power to departments that may not need it (I don't think giving autolathes the ability to print replacement bandages would be a good thing). There's multiple methods to tackling this problem, but not all are necessarily good ones (ie: lockboxes are a terrible method). Likewise, sometimes substitution for similar devices/objects is just as desirable (chemistry's ability to make patches doesn't really necessitate the need for producing more biopacks).

A good example of something that requires little thought on replacing: chem master

An example of something that requires more than just blindly adding: telebaton

Also, just because something is straight-forward in replacing, conceptually, doesn't mean it's easy, code wise; a chem master is straight forward, conceptually, to replace, but actually implementing it, code wise, would be quite troublesome

5 hours ago, Purpose2 said:

Another on my mind is the: Water cooler.

If you made watercoolers a deconstructable I'd love you forever. Pretty sure the only way to get rid of them currently is with explosives.

5 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

If you made watercoolers a deconstructable I'd love you forever. Pretty sure the only way to get rid of them currently is with explosives.

Do they need to be constructible? I could just make them wrenchable / movable?

I'm already skeptical about creating things that come with reagents in them like the water-cooler does. Another example being the welding tools get autolathed full of fuel somehow.

Edited by Purpose2

8 hours ago, Purpose2 said:

Autolathe for duct tape creation as well as dropper creation?

Dropper in autolathe seems logical. Pipettes could also be added since they are exactly like droppers just limited to 1u transfers.

I would also go with duct tape in autolathe but I bet someone will argue in favor if biogenerator instead.

Since you're making the water cooler movable: sinks, showers and toilets could also be made movable to further allow redecorating. I've seen a crate on one server that had bathroom appliances (sink/shower/toilet), there weren't any balance related issue with it unless water supply is considered - but chem dispensers already create water out of energy so a simplistic device used for these wouldn't be that far fetched and make sense thematically.

Edited by TermedClepe2

@Fox McCloud Would Black Gloves be one of those items intentionally kept scarce? One thing I'd like would be if Black Gloves were added to the Firefighting Crate, as burning objects cannot be picked up with bare hands. Though would it really break intended scarcity if Cargo is able to pass out Insulated Gloves like candy? Maybe add into SoP that black gloves shouldn't be given for non-departmental reasons, just like insulated gloves?

Black gloves should be scarce similar to Insulated, due to their ability to hide prints, aka why you can't just have them in loadouts etc.

But, it makes sense to be able to order them somehow. Is the firefighting crate the right place? I'm not certain.

edit: Also I just put up a PR enabling those to be printed now, @tzo - so thats more we can tick off the list. 

Edited by Purpose2

1 hour ago, Purpose2 said:

Black gloves should be scarce similar to Insulated, due to their ability to hide prints, aka why you can't just have them in loadouts etc.

But, it makes sense to be able to order them somehow. Is the firefighting crate the right place? I'm not certain.

edit: Also I just put up a PR enabling those to be printed now, @tzo - so thats more we can tick off the list. 

Both fingerless gloves and black gloves are able to be made via rolls of cloth that I've only been able to obtain at biogenorators. Duffelbags are also made this way.

Edited by Capsandi

I've believed the spray bottles should be producible in a lathe... but it fucks with chemistry a bit and presents a real problem.

Honestly, the potent chems should eat right through the plastic if you tried. Like CIF3, Flurosurfactant, things like that. These are items that should be in a beaker and still usable.

Perhaps higher in the R&D tree, you could have a chemically resistant spray bottle? Smaller reservoir, but can hold anything.... oh god imagine if they had [noreact].... *shudders

Edited by Anticept

I was actually going to make a PR addng Rapid Crate Senders into the cargo console requring some 20-30 points for 2 more RCS' There's only 2 round start and one the QM can only access but miners sometimes take because reasons and if you cryo with one or it gets loss, stolen etc you're SOL when Security orders 30 hecking crates because Security wants dem guns and armor

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rumiluntti said:

Spraybottles are robust as fuck, even when filled with only water. Please don't consider making them latheable so every civilian and cunt-turd can have one

I haven't included them in the list because everyone can already make spraybottles at roundstart using the biogenerator at arrivals hydroponics. Maint is also filled with them.

The more you know.

Spray Bottles are indeed pretty robust, but they are goddamn unbelievably useful too for more than just water.

I really wish I had an answer for sprayables. It's that they are so damn robust and useful that they are rare... but it's kind of a pain that they ARE rare too when you could really use them for a mess.

If soap didn't take so unbelievably long to clean a tile, that'd be nice.

I never really messed too much with the biogenerator, didn't notice they made spray bottles.

Edited by Anticept

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use