Disable emags being allowed to emag lockboxes from RND

bigfatbananacyclops

I don't know if this is great enough, but i think doing this will fix the powergaming of RND alot.

-Benefits

-LESS POWERGAMING

-LESS ABUSE OF RND

And maybe if we can bring back old RND.. if this comes true.

And for the implants abuse. We just add a security checkpoint in science, like, its god DAMN NSS, we need security to know what kind of technology is being produced.

Edited by bigfatbananacyclops

It is bad enough we have lockboxes at all.

Lockboxes are already more secure than the vault. More secure than the Captain's safe. More secure than the armory.

Nothing short of traitor gear or legit access opens them. They're one of the most secure things on the entire station. More secure than most things only the Captain is meant to have.

If you think that we should make them invincible to literally everything but legit access, I'm not even sure what to say to that.
Other than: hell no.

Edited by tzo

Honestly, I want to see a do away with lockerboxs and instead have more IC enforcement like the checkpoint or holding science accountable. Lockerboxs already are quite game balance altering away from reasonable into the quite silly and inconsistent. While I'm not sure how they were received back when they were added, if you try and add anything into a lockerbox you will see the backlash from it, which shows what the community thinks of them. From an IC perspective, if you want to secure anything, a lockerbox is far better then a safe, far better then the vault, far better then an off site storage location... nothing beats locker boxes as of right now except active defenses. Even crates can be forced open with emiters, KA, buckshot... but while 100s of laser guns and combat shotguns are ok for the crew to be able to get themselves and make armies of mechs that would make death commandos blush with no coded in limits, one laser that can set people on fire and do ehh to ok damage is not. Since we will never get rid of them, I don't want to see them be able to make weapons unobtainable as antags and solve nuke ops in one swift move.

Edited by shazbot194

R&D antags will always inherently be more difficult and dangerous to deal with due to the tools at thier disposal. Leads to some pretty exciting stuff though.

Depending on the experience and dept of the antags and sec, sometimes sec has the upper hand, sometimes the antags do.

Unless it's Ares. He will MacGyver his way into being a nearly impossible antag to deal with regardless of his role or type of antag lol

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 2

Antags and sec will always vary in power.

So much depends on sheer luck, as an example recently I was killed, hauled across the station in a locker, then fired out of the disposals mass driver without incident....

Until my corpse locker darn near collided with a space pod. Immediately recovered.

The best plans with the best execution can fall by the wayside just because someone happened to be watching the cameras. Or walked in at the wrong moment. And most things you can do to prevent these only draw attention.

• Like 3

When Area spaces a locker into a space pod, the space pod explodes lol

Need to start Chuck Norris'esque rumors about Ares

Edited by ZN23X

28 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

When Area spaces a locker into a space pod, the space pod explodes lol

Need to start Chuck Norris'esque rumors about Ares

Had him as my vampire kill objective once. Full power vamp with a subverted AI comes after him while his arms are broken and the floor has been lubed...

And he escaped.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enginseer-42 said:

Had him as my vampire kill objective once. Full power vamp with a subverted AI comes after him while his arms are broken and the floor has been lubed...

And he escaped.

Forgot to add that somehow, he stole your powers lol

@Birdtalon

Because people powergames with RND, if you are a traitor scientist, you dont even need to buy syndie gear because you can litterally make three bags of holdings, and put a bunch of guns, exaggeratively.

And also, tzo, lockboxes aren't secure enough, the HOP is the one who can be an antagonist and give him self all access.

2 minutes ago, bigfatbananacyclops said:

@Birdtalon

Because people powergames with RND, if you are a traitor scientist, you dont even need to buy syndie gear because you can litterally make three bags of holdings, and put a bunch of guns, exaggeratively.

And also, tzo, lockboxes aren't secure enough, the HOP is the one who can be an antagonist and give him self all access.

Well right now, with lockerboxes, unless you get an ID from the warden/HoS/Captain or have HoP make you one, you can't get a gun. The only way to open lockerboxes as an antag without a proper ID, is to Emag it open. And besides, Emags are antag and special event only, so this wouldn't so much be nerfing power gaming as much as nerfing science traitors. If you see someone with an Emag who isn't an antag or has a permit of some kind, it might be considered self antaging if they are opening lockerboxes.

As for the HoP being able to make IDs to open them, yes, they can, but they can also be banned for it if they don't have a good reason to. By the same logic we could say that door bolts aren't secure enough because someone can hack into it and manually open the bolts, or that weapon crates aren't secure enough because you can swipe the warden's ID. The HoP is a head after all, all heads hold massive power, from the HoS to the HoP, even the CMO has massively more power then normal crew, and only the HoS and captain cannot be antags.

Can we implement the same code in which lockboxes can be hacked with multitool? You know like the crates you find in the asteroids as a miner? If you fail to unlock it (after many attempts) then it explodes in your hand (no damage of course)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jovaniph said:

Can we implement the same code in which lockboxes can be hacked with multitool? You know like the crates you find in the asteroids as a miner? If you fail to unlock it (after many attempts) then it explodes in your hand (no damage of course)

I wouldn't mind a system like this if we could still open it with IDs and emags.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use