Security items?

Xantholne

14 hours ago, necaladun said:

I believe Xan was more looking for ideas for different looks of pre-existing items. (correct me if i'm wrong as usual xan)

Both actually. I'm down for making/updating current items as well as for making new ones. Personally I'd love some new items as Security to make it more enjoyable rather than just simple sprites :P But I'd be making them all in different PRs especially for ones that are new equipment entirely.

4 hours ago, Xantholne said:

Personally I'd love some new items as Security to make it more enjoyable rather than just simple sprites :P

I'd say the thing that makes security most unenjoyable is the troll players who get off on doing everything in thier power up to and including getting banned to make security miserable. Not really sure you can fix this by adding equipment.

Tranquilizer gun? A purfeudicecalin patch dispenser to mute them? Sleep grenades? Make it so the cells dispense sleeping gas instead of having a flash? Some sort of a way to remove cuffs from them without them attempting to beat the hell out of me or disarm spam me? Maybe just something that works faster than putting them in the sleeper and feeding them Ether to put them out. Even then they'll still complain to an admin even if you did everything properly just to get you bwoinked and waste your time.

Best way to deal with all that is to not let it get to you, and if it is bothering you, sure as hell don't show them. Easiest way I shut up chucklefucks is by having fun with them and not getting annoyed. As soon as they know they are actually entertaining you and not making you miserable, they usually go SSD. Most importantly, IC I reward good behavior and cooperation with reduced sentences or even no sentence and just a warning, and "reward" the opposite with maximum sentences while letting them know how much less of a sentence they could have gotten If they weren't an asshole.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 2

An equivalent of the eradicator turret from prey that isn't a portable flash.

Some fragile and weak turret with a weak disabler and/or laser depending on the setting that security can place in important areas during red alert. They have basically no health and the gun is pretty weak but the benefit comes from the fact they can be carried around. Two hands to carry, they require an ID with security clearance to deploy and edit. About 25 health. The laser would probably only do about 10 damage. They have an internal power cell which must be recharged or upgraded. Wirecutters will hook the turret into the grid and let it power itself from it and a screwdriver + crowbar can let you take the power cell out.

Can be set up to shoot a disabler or laser beam at unknowns and criminals, giving an alert over the security channel at the one firing. "Enaging target at Central Hallway"

E-magging them won't make them go nuts like a beepsky, instead it lets the e-magger access a targeting list based on IDs. A sneaky person could set all the turrets to fire at security but ignore everyone else, keeping it secret that they've been hacked/e-magged

Edited by Cyiko

Quite a few years ago, there used to be riot grenade launchers in the brig armoury, next to the riot suits and shields - these could be loaded with standard flashbangs and teargas 'nades as necessary, and launched grenades still had a slight delay before detonating. I had quite a few good rounds using it against blobs in particular, and I'd love to see it back in the game. For bonus points, let traitors steal it and load it with more sinister ammunition such as minibombs or IEDs.

As for general utilities, I'd like to see a prisoner implant management console placed at the dispatcher's front desk - officers already should have access to one near the labourcamp dock, but the majority of sec players are not aware of it.

I'd like to see one or two extra security biohazard suits added to that one locker in the armoury. They hardly receive any use, but they're very handy if medbay needs security present during a major disease outbreak. On the topic of safety suits, I'd like to see one or two security softsuits added to the armoury - they wouldn't need to be as protective as Sec Hardsuits, but they'd allow sec to respond more effectively to atmos flooding or mass-depressurization. This would be especially useful for Nuke Op rounds, where vast swathes of the station usually end up getting vented due to stray bullets shattering windows or explosive implants poking holes in the floor.

This might not be useful, balanced or necessary, but I'd like to see some throwable spike-strips in the armoury, too. As with the real-world counterpart, rolled-up spike strips could be thrown into the path of a vehicle, snapping open into a vehicle trap that tangles itself into the undercarriage of any vehicle that drives/walks over it, dramatically reducing their speed, or perhaps stalling them entirely until the pilot jumps out to remove the spike strip by hand. Syndicate mechs like the Gygax and Marauder often prove incredibly resilient to the ion rifle, plus the ion rifle is often never where it needs to be when it's needed. These spike strips would ideally be too bulky for a backpack, so they would only be deployed when the specific situation calls for it.

I'd like to see a return of the handheld sec hailers. The basic "Halt, security!" noise isn't particularly intimidating, but it was a good way of grabbing someone's attention without needing to carry around the full sec gasmask.

On that note, a greater variety of underbarrel mount items would be great. As an alternative to a flashlight, I'd like to be able to mount hailers and/or Compli-O-Nators as underbarrel mounts for sec weapons.

This idea was shot down once a long time ago, but as long as we're discussing extra sec items, I'd like to hear opinions about adding a 'hannibal lecter' anti-bite mask, alongside the straightjacket in the brig: for the full effect when an antag in the brig has proven themselves dangerous enough to warrant rollerbedding, straighjacketing, handcuffing, legcuffing, and electropack-mounted before they can be safely moved around the station. This would also mesh with our new restrictions around executions, as I suspect security will be required to handle and contain more 'innately' dangerous antags without outright slaughtering them on the spot. While I'm on the topic of electropacks - if the brig didn't get their electropack back, I'd like one added somewhere near the execution/infirmary area, just for the odd situation where a criminal needs their hands free for something, but they're not trustworthy enough to just be uncuffed without a backup measure (mimes that are requesting to write something down come to mind, here).

This might require a bit of snowflake code, but the detective's dromedary co. cigarettes should count as a mask for the purposes of whether or not someone gets nauseous by being near to a rotting body. I envision this would enable the hard-boiled detective cliche, where the detective is so grim and desensitized that they are completely unfazed by smells or sights that would cause most others to vomit with revulsion. On the note, if the detective had access to a sterilized white crimescene hazsuit that never left tracks in wet blood and never left clothing fibres, that would be an interesting way of further specializing the detective's role, so that they can't be fully replaced by any officer with a forensic scanner. For bonus !!FUN!!, make the crimescene jumpsuit storable in a backpack, so that traitors or other antags have a reason to steal it.

Edited by Machofish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coldud13 said:

There is one in the armoury that is never used.

Its never used because there is only one and the nagging though we/security will need it for something massive that never happens.

Edit: It might also be why few people know that there is security bomb suit sprites that aren't being used.

Edited by shazbot194

There's a security eod suit but onfrtunately, it doesn't really work terribly well and you usally still gib when defusing bombs. It's also  locked in the armory which only 2 security personnel ahve access to; one of which is gone, and usually when you find a syndie bomb it has under a minute so. Good luck getting it defused (or exploded) with the bomb suit, hue.

On 6/7/2017 at 6:31 PM, shazbot194 said:

Last I had one, it could hold a tazer. I'm not sure if it has changed, but I think it should be able to still.

Confirmed. Holsters can hold a taser. I'll be spending the beginning of every shift as warden in perma growing biomass to supply everyone with holsters lol

• Like 3

On 6/8/2017 at 8:30 AM, Machofish said:

This might not be useful, balanced or necessary, but I'd like to see some throwable spike-strips in the armoury, too.

Wait, I actually think this is a super good idea. Too many times a rogue mech has unleashed terror on the crew with little recourse. I don't think it would be unbalanced at all to have spike traps that could trap a mech in, allowing for the ion rifle to make their way from the other side of the station to come in for the kill. It would require a lot of strategic coordination to place so it wouldn't be unbalanced at all.

On 6/8/2017 at 8:30 AM, Machofish said:

This might require a bit of snowflake code, but the detective's dromedary co. cigarettes should count as a mask for the purposes of whether or not someone gets nauseous by being near to a rotting body. I envision this would enable the hard-boiled detective cliche, where the detective is so grim and desensitized that they are completely unfazed by smells or sights that would cause most others to vomit with revulsion.

Actually, this is already in the code in /mob/living/carbon/human/life.dm.

if(H.mind && H.mind.assigned_role == "Detective")

return //too cool for puke

Ahhh I don't care about accessories but please don't go full uniform bloat. We don't need 20 different sec uniforms that makes it impossible to distingush security from.. say.. the paramedic or bartender / detective etc.

I don't think it would be so bad to have more uniforms as long as they kept to the theme of security and we have a better way to manage them, IE the vending machine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use