Rules on Execution have changed!

TullyBBurnalot

Strap in, gents. This is going to be a long one. We are completely reworking how Executions work, so anyone and everyone that even remotely plays Security, get a good read on the following:

In Legal Standard Operating Procedure - Execution General:

Point 7:

Authorization must be given by the Captain and/or Magistrate. Without authorization, executions are murder.

Becomes:

Authorization must be given by the Magistrate. If a Magistrate is not assigned, dead, missing, or otherwise rendered incapable of providing authorization, the Captain may authorize an execution in their stead. Should the Magistrate and Captain be unable to provide authorization, it must come from Central Command. Without authorization, executions are murder.

Point 8 becomes Point 9.

New Point 8:

A signed order from the Magistrate/Captain must be faxed to Central Command before the execution proceeds for purposes of later review.  The execution may then proceed without additional off-station contact.

This means that while a fax being sent is required, Central Command does NOT need to reply for the execution to go through.

In Space Law:

The following segment:

If the Enemy of the Corporation has not committed any Major or Capital Crimes (see below), they are to be placed in Permanent Imprisonment (Permabrig/Solitary/Labor Camp). Otherwise, Execution is permitted, at the discretion of the Captain or Magistrate. Possession of Contraband alone is not enough to warrant an execution.

Becomes:

If the Enemy of the Corporation has not committed any Capital Crimes (see below), they are to be placed in Permanent Imprisonment (Permabrig/Solitary/Labor Camp). Otherwise, Execution is permitted, at the discretion of the Magistrate. If no Magistrate has been assigned, or is otherwise unable to authorize an execution, the Captain may authorize execution in accordance to Legal Standard Operating Procedure. Possession of Contraband alone is not enough to warrant an execution.

Additionally...

The following segment: 

Any other Enemies of the Corporation that willingly turn themselves into Security of their own accord are to be kept in Permanent Imprisonment. Such defectors are to be transported to CentComm for debriefing and relocation. Until CentComm can ascertain their sincerity, they are to be treated as dangerous enemies, but also protected from possible retribution.

Becomes:

Enemies of the Corporation that willingly turn themselves into Security of their own accord are to be kept in Permanent Imprisonment, assuming they aren't impossible to contain (see below). Such defectors and captives are to be transported to Central Command for debriefing via the Crew Transfer Shuttle. They are to be treated as dangerous enemies, but also protected from possible retribution and provided care and medical treatment.

Additionally, Enemies of the Corporation that have not commited any Capital Crimes and/or have turned themselves in may still be executed if they are impossible to contain, such as fully-powered vampires or Wizards that require no magical items to cast spells. Being a space-proof species, by itself, does not make a prisoner impossible to contain.

In regards to Manslaughter, the Notes have been changed from:

Careful deliberation should be done when considering someone for this law. The divide between “intentional” and “accidental” can be very thin, and it is important to review all available evidence to come to an appropriate conclusion. Any effort to prevent the resuscitation or cloning of the victim raises this to Murder. If in doubt as to whether it was premeditated, it is to be assumed so and the Murder charge applied.

To:

Careful deliberation should be done when considering someone for this law. The divide between “intentional” and “accidental” can be very thin, and it is important to review all available evidence to come to an appropriate conclusion. Any effort to prevent the resuscitation or cloning of the victim raises this to Murder. If in doubt as to whether it was premeditated, it is to be assumed that it was not.

Personnel that fall under this law may not be executed, and must be kept in Permanent Imprisonment.

The greatest change, however, is that we will be splitting Capital Crimes into 2 categories: Exceptional Crimes and Capital Crimes.

Murder and Mutiny would remain in Capital Crimes; all previously "Capital" crimes are moved to the Exceptional Crimes category. The latter may not by punishable by execution.

As such, the preamble to Exceptional Crimes becomes:

These crimes can result in Permanent Prison Time, Exile or Permanent Labor Camp Time.

Only the Magistrate, Captain, Head of Security, and Warden can authorize a Permanent Sentence or Exile.

If the prisoner requests an Execution or Cyborgization, they may be given one.

And the preamble for Capital Crimes becomes:

These crimes can result in Execution, Permanent Prison Time, Permanent Labor Camp Time, Exile or Cyborgization.

Only the Magistrate, Captain, Head of Security, and Warden can authorize a Permanent Sentence or Exile.

Only the Magistrate or Captain can authorize an Execution or Forced Cyborgization.

Any personnel that escape Permanent Imprisonment are to be executed when captured. Any personnel escaping from an Execution sentence are to be killed on sight.

This means that ONLY TWO CRIMES are punishable by Execution now.

Finally, the definition of murder has been changed from:

To assault someone with enough force as to cause their death, with premeditated, deliberate intent to murder them.

To:

To deliberately and maliciously cause the death of another crewmember, via direct or indirect means.

Rules on Lethal Force, as it applies outside of the Brig and formalized sentencing, remain unchanged.

• Like 5

It's a shame I'm taking a break from Para right now, this seems interesting. Are KOS orders affected by this at all?

Edited by FPK
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, FPK said:

It's a shame I'm taking a break from Para right now, this seems interesting. Will KOS orders need to be approved by CC?

KoS is outside execution SoP and space law

There should be a point that read that either no other forms of executions can be made or must be approved by CC or something like that. Becouse there is such a great thing as BSA gibbing which is bassicaly a sin not to do.

Can we get a clarification on what kind of vampire can be executed? One part of space law says "fully-powered" while another just says "powered". Fully-powered might be a little hard to prove.

Powered Vampires, or any other Enemies of the Corporation that cannot be contained safely in the Brig, are to be executed or exiled.

Additionally, Enemies of the Corporation that have not committed any Capital Crimes and/or have turned themselves in may still be executed if they are impossible to contain, such as fully-powered vampires

17 minutes ago, Tayswift said:

Can we get a clarification on what kind of vampire can be executed? One part of space law says "fully-powered" while another just says "powered". Fully-powered might be a little hard to prove.

IF it's thrown in permanent will it get out? If yes then execute. If no then brig.

24 minutes ago, Tayswift said:

Vampire power.png

Goofy flow chart aside, I'd like clarification on what to do with changelings. Like, if a changeling's actively stinging people in processing and being a shit, but the Captain/magistrate's dragging their feet, does this come under the deadly force clause "Severe Personal Risk"? 

Edited by Anoonki
Added to the end of the post.
  • Like 1

Considering changelings can ventcrawl via becoming a monkey, or EMP the shit out of doors at round start (if memory serves, I'm a glorious Synthetic after all)...

Edited by Spacemanspark

Question regarding this. I've had times where antags who have been caught and sentenced to perma will literally say something along the lines of "Just kill me already" Does this qualify as asking for execution? If not, say I follow up with "Are you requesting an execution?", they repond "Yes", I've now verified they want to be executed. At this point...does the execution still require authorization from the magistrate/captain with a fax to central? Do I need authorization from ANYONE other than the prisoner? Or can I just inform security via comms that the prisoner requested to be executed and proceed with the request? I guess I'm trying to figure out how formal we have to be with the execution if the prisoner requests one.

Less formal would just hasten the process for all parties involved, but I could see the necessity for the formal process for the sake of a paper trail if nothing else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZN23X said:

Question regarding this. I've had times where antags who have been caught and sentenced to perma will literally say something along the lines of "Just kill me already" Does this qualify as asking for execution? If not, say I follow up with "Are you requesting an execution?", they repond "Yes", I've now verified they want to be executed. At this point...does the execution still require authorization from the magistrate/captain with a fax to central? Do I need authorization from ANYONE other than the prisoner? Or can I just inform security via comms that the prisoner requested to be executed and proceed with the request? I guess I'm trying to figure out how formal we have to be with the execution if the prisoner requests one.

Less formal would just hasten the process for all parties involved, but I could see the necessity for the formal process for the sake of a paper trail if nothing else.

I'm assuming that while prisoners can request an execution, the execution must still be approved by the Captain or Magistrate. If the purpose of this change is to create a paper trail, then there should be no exception to the rule (within reason, of course). The prisoner giving their consent through paperwork would probably speed up the process.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a slight technical correction to these new rules:

On 5/22/2017 at 4:11 PM, TullyBBurnalot said:

This means that ONLY TWO CRIMES are punishable by Execution now.

Technically three crimes are punishable by execution: Murder, Mutiny, and escaping permanent imprisonment/exile.

You could be perma-brigged for something unrelated to murder or mutiny, (an exceptional crime), and if you then escape prison the rules now say they are to be executed when captured.

Just a minor technicality but as a Magistrate player it's an important distinction (Assuming I've not misunderstood anything)

• Like 4
  • fastparrot 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use