security starting with sec huds

apneaman

So just something that was bugging me. Why dont security start with a sec hud as standard kit? This is based off a past scenario that happened.

Basically spawned late round as an officer as i walked off the shuttle straight into a firefight with a crewmember and 3 ERTs basically before i had a chance to react i was shot at with lethals by the ert and knocked to the ground. as i didnt have a sec hud and just walked off the shuttle i assumed they were hostile/impostors ended up arresting one and stunning the other. This lead to myself and one ert dying from the actual antagonist attacks.

In part a trigger happy ert started it who for some reason didnt see my implant it could have been avoided by having my hud on as at spawn.

• Like 1

I agree it is very odd they don't spawn with huds, but if you really want to spawn with one, spend a couple load-out points to spawn with a classic sec hud. 

8 minutes ago, shazbot194 said:

I agree it is very odd they don't spawn with huds, but if you really want to spawn with one, spend a couple load-out points to spawn with a classic sec hud. 

Most people don't bother because it won't make a difference 19/20 times and they're not flash proof

4 hours ago, shazbot194 said:

Load out points? Im unfamiliar with this. Just doesn't make sense that it's not in starting security kit

If I were a police officer IRL I wouldn't show up to work with my utility belt whatever it is belt,it'd be in some sort of storage. The brig could use more gear in it though those lockers empty out really quickly.

Same logic should apply to new arrivals IMO, maybe have an exception for round start spawned officers though.

2 minutes ago, Love-To-Hug said:

The main reason it works like this is to make it harder for the security force to be increased as that has a major impact on the balance of game rounds.

A recent trend I've seen is the outright refusal of command to hire any new sec "because they can't be properly vetted" because they might be antags and we can't have that. Sec horde is a thing of the past.

1 minute ago, Doukan said:

A recent trend I've seen is the outright refusal of command to hire any new sec "because they can't be properly vetted" because they might be antags and we can't have that. Sec horde is a thing of the past.

I was referring to the HoP's ability to increase security slots.

In my experience HOPs rarely increase the number of sec slots unless the server population is massive and even then, most of the time they don't. Sec is usually working with the same amount of officers whether there's 80 people or 120...and alot of that extra 40 are bored greytide who give sec more pointless crimes to waste resources on. Wish there was a way to scale how many jobs were opened based on population for common jobs (anything with 4+ slots at round start) but I bet that'd be a pain in the ass to implement.

I've also never run into a situation where security runs out of HUDs, and even if we theoretically did, science could make more. Also...as much as I work sec, I rarely run into situations where having little gear when I spawn at arrivals is a problem...and the only time it's been a problem is in rounds where the station was already screwed anyways.

I like @Doukan's thought of:

48 minutes ago, Doukan said:

If I were a police officer IRL I wouldn't show up to work with my utility belt whatever it is belt,it'd be in some sort of storage. 

This makes sense for any job. It's why doctors don't have HUDs and health scanners, it's why engineers and miners don't start with hardsuits.

4 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

In my experience HOPs rarely increase the number of sec slots unless the server population is massive and even then, most of the time they don't.

You can bet they would though if it wasn't such a pain (by design) to support a greater force.

6 minutes ago, Love-To-Hug said:

You can bet they would though if it wasn't such a pain (by design) to support a greater force.

It's not that hard to increase job slots in terms of people who spawn at arrivals...literally just clicking boxes on a computer...I just don't think many HOPs know well enough to do it. For any job it's alot less time and effort for the HOP to increase slots than it is for them to give people jobs who are waiting in line.

Edited by ZN23X

Just now, ZN23X said:

It's not that hard to increase job slots in terms of people who spawn at arrivals...I just don't think many HOPs know well enough to do it. For any job it's alot less time and effort for the HOP to increase slots than it is for them to give people jobs who are waiting in line.

It requires coordination with both the HoS and the Captain and a competent cargo that can get the orders properly delivered. It is also considered a faux pas to do unless on at least blue with the security forces feeling strained.

2 minutes ago, Love-To-Hug said:

It requires coordination with both the HoS and the Captain and a competent cargo that can get the orders properly delivered. It is also considered a faux pas to do unless on at least blue with the security forces feeling strained.

I'm literally talking about the mechanic to increase job slots for any job. Not just security...and again, the same equipment restraints could effect any department, but creating more job slots itself is easy.

HOP on command comms "Can I add more (insert job type)." Captain or department head responds yes or no. If yes...click + next to said job type on computer.

The equipment can be sorted out by the department. For sec specifically there are 10 lockers in the locker room. Plus one in arrivals checkpoint. I've never seen 11 total officers. There is enough gear. Medbay could use more HUDs and crew moniters, that's for damned sure.

3 hours ago, Love-To-Hug said:

The main reason it works like this is to make it harder for the security force to be increased as that has a major impact on the balance of game rounds.

No, this was not removed in lockstep with the ability to change job slots.

This is something that was changed awhile back. Security used to spawn with their SecHUDs, and I believe it was changed so the security equipment area was less of a candy shop for people who broke in given that sunglasseshuds are a fairly powerful piece of equipment.

There's also something called Cargo to order in more equipment. It does not require two members of command and the entire cargo department working in tandem to get this done - it requires one person to stamp a form and order it; or even better, the Captain to click two buttons on a bridge console and tell a sec officer to go pick it up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use