Jetpack Newbie Helper

Love-To-Hug

23 hours ago, Love-To-Hug said:

Jetpacks should alert you that you have to be wearing them on your back for the propulsion to work when you enable the jetpack in a slot that isn't your back.

Alternatively, a good solution may be to make it so jetpacks don't fit on any other slot than your back.

Most people mistakenly put them in an exosuit slot, which they really shouldn't fit into.

52 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

Alternatively, a good solution may be to make it so jetpacks don't fit on any other slot than your back.

Most people mistakenly put them in an exosuit slot, which they really shouldn't fit into.

That would nerf nukies.

4 hours ago, Shadeykins said:

As pod pilot I deliberately carry around my jetpack on my exo and remove my backpack to equip it when needed. If I couldn't do this I wouldn't be able to carry around all the gear I need. 5 slots in a sec belt, 2 pockets, and 1 gun slot on the exo doesn't cover it.

But yes it would be nice if jetpacks at least had a note when you examine them saying "You must equip this on your back to use it" or something like that.

Edited by ZN23X

12 hours ago, Love-To-Hug said:

That would nerf nukies.

Never seen a nukie carry anything but a gun in their exosuit slot. Every single nukie I've seen either leaves the jetpack on their back the whole go, or puts it in their bag.

This isn't a nerf, because if you're putting it in an exosuit slot you're already missing a slot where guns, oxygen, and what-not can go.

Before you point it out, using the jetpack for internals is a bad idea because you run out in even a moderately protracted engagement. Even beginner teams I've run with use the yellow oxygen tank in their bag for internals, and the jetpack only for jetpacking.

As pod pilot I deliberately carry around my jetpack on my exo and remove my backpack to equip it when needed. If I couldn't do this I wouldn't be able to carry around all the gear I need. 5 slots in a sec belt, 2 pockets, and 1 gun slot on the exo doesn't cover it.

But yes it would be nice if jetpacks at least had a note when you examine them saying "You must equip this on your back to use it" or something like that.

I'm only advocating this for nukie jetpacks, because station jetpacks are too damn clunky to fit in a bag really, anyways.

Edited by Shadeykins

Ohhhhh....i didn't know nukie jetpacks fit in bags. Fuggin syndicate and their advanced technology. Bastrards lol

Nukie jetpacks are a source of O2. Meaning they have very good reason to put it in their exosuit slot when they don't need them as jetpacks.

Great for swapping back and forth without having to rummage in the bag.

Edited by Love-To-Hug

1 hour ago, ZN23X said:

Ohhhhh....i didn't know nukie jetpacks fit in bags. Fuggin syndicate and their advanced technology. Bastrards lol

And what about miners? They have a O2 jetpack that an both be placed in the exo suit slot and inside a backpack. 

Since this is a problem mostly with nukies, why not give them a small booklet/paper or have a poster with some general tips like this. I think a poster for this would be great in the airlock.

Edited by shazbot194
Added more

1 hour ago, shazbot194 said:

And what about miners? They have a O2 jetpack that an both be placed in the exo suit slot and inside a backpack.

Alright now I'm mad and require such a jetpack for my pilot lol

17 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

Alright now I'm mad and require such a jetpack for my pilot lol

If you ever see me in mining, just ask, might even get a KA out of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Love-To-Hug said:

Nukie jetpacks are a source of O2. Meaning they have very good reason to put it in their exosuit slot when they don't need them as jetpacks.

Great for swapping back and forth without having to rummage in the bag.

Yes, for every nukie ever who wants to run out of internals 20 minutes in. Jetpacks consume a massive amount of O2 when they're actively being used, which makes using them as an internals source a crapshoot even when fully tanked.

Just now, Shadeykins said:

Yes, for every nukie ever who wants to run out of internals 20 minutes in. Jetpacks consume a massive amount of O2 when they're actively being used, which makes using them as an internals source a crapshoot even when fully tanked.

Uh, every time I've been a nukie ever it's what I've done and I've never even come close to running out of O2, even the time we spent an excessive amount of time in space. AFAIK having the jetpack feature enabled only consumes energy when it's being used to propel you, and it doesn't keep expending energy when idle.

Never once used the extended oxygen tank, had no need for it.

22 minutes ago, Love-To-Hug said:

Uh, every time I've been a nukie ever it's what I've done and I've never even come close to running out of O2, even the time we spent an excessive amount of time in space. AFAIK having the jetpack feature enabled only consumes energy when it's being used to propel you, and it doesn't keep expending energy when idle.

Never once used the extended oxygen tank, had no need for it.

1023 kPa (as jetpacks are roughly equal to a yellow tank) lasts you about an hour and a half of breathing, but when combined with extensive use in space it gives you maybe about 20 minutes of jetpack + oxygen combined.

If you get stuck on the station in a protracted engagement exceeding 30 minutes, using the jetpack as your internals is usually a choice that ends up killing or severely hampering you.

I suppose this comes down to preference of loadout ultimately, though. The #1 mistake people make is putting it there, which is why I suggested to disallow it.

Well, it affects more than nukies. As someone mentioned, they do that with their sec pilot jetpack, as it can't fit in the bag. I think having it go in exosuit is fine, it just needs to have some indication that it won't propel you if it's not on your back. My suggested implementation would be a chat message that only appears when you do Toggle Jetpack when the jetpack is not on your back slot.

8 hours ago, Shadeykins said:

I'm only advocating this for nukie jetpacks, because station jetpacks are too damn clunky to fit in a bag really, anyways.

Just now, Shadeykins said:

Oh, I missed that.

As I said... I really wouldn't want it to change for nukie jetpacks. It seems like you'd have to spend an awful lot of time in space on a particularly long nukie round for it to become a factor, and even then, I can extend the lifespan of my oxygen tanks by lowering the output from 21 to 17kpa.

Again, it comes down to preference - I just figured removing the option to put it in the exosuit slot entirely would be the most organic way of making sure there's no mishaps with the jetpack.

A shift+click examine probably wouldn't get noticed, but a one-time prompt telling you that jetpacks must be worn on the back slot to operate could work as well.

Another solution may be to have jetpacks work while in the exosuit slot, and force give nukies satchels for bags so there's no sprite clipping/issues.

I don't see any need for change here. Being able to put a jetback in the exosuit slot is VERY useful so you don't have to carry your backpack all the time. Unless the player is very forgetful then they should only make this mistake once and it's a big part of learning as a player to look back at your mess ups with fondness.

Edited by Birdtalon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FlattestGuitar said:

I think /tg/ just allows jetpacks to be used from the exosuit slot. 

Why don't we do that? Seems like a QoL feature, nothing else.

To help support this...

Here's my process when I need to get out of my pod to apprehend a potential antag. Remove backpack into hand. Remove jet pack from exo suit alot and equip to backpack slot. Remove taser from backpack and put in exo slot. Use rest command to drop backpack so I can have 2 free hands (drop command doesn't work in pod). I now have at my disposal a taser, cuffs and keys in my pockets (if I don't lock the pod it may get stolen), and the stuff on my security belt. Need to leave the rest of my gear  (meds, extra cuffs, second gun...cigs) in my bag on the floor of my pod for the sake of having 2 hands.

So yes...please for a QoL Improvement, make jet packs usable from exo slot.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017 at 7:47 AM, ZN23X said:

Use rest command to drop backpack so I can have 2 free hands (drop command doesn't work in pod)

Why haven't I tried this before?? Better than holding the backpack awkwardly in my hand.

Also, exosuit jetpacks would be a godsend for pod pilots. Life is already dangerous out enough in space without having to play inventory tetris at the same time!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tayswift said:

Why haven't I tried this before?? Better than holding the backpack awkwardly in my hand.

Honestly...I learned how to do this by accident one time because I was having a UI problem where I had to reconnect (hence sleeping for a moment) and when I reconnected, I had dropped whatever I was holding on the floor of the pod.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

I learned how to do this by accident one time because I was having a UI problem where I had to reconnect

I've gone SSD in my pod and had to pick up my stuff off the floor too! But I've never made the mental connection and tried resting to drop my items for some reason...ugh!

On 4/2/2017 at 10:07 PM, Shadeykins said:

Not once in hte times Ive played Nukie has a round ever lasted thing long for me

A good nukie team should be in and out the longer they take the more they risk getting themselves killed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use