Rewarded for giving karma.

Tykenn

After talking to a lot of people about this, I've noticed that the number one problem they have- Is that they forget giving karma altogether.

I feel like they would be more encouraged to give karma to others, if they got some in return.

So the idea I'm proposing is that after every 5-10 karma given to other players. You get one karma for doing so.

Thoughts on this?

Yep. As silly as it may seem, the karma economy currently is in a good place overall. You still can count on getting karma from time to time if you roleplay in an entertaining manner.

There are multiple issues associated with the karma system, but the system is working as intended.

Also, most of the time the people complaining are the ones who aren't cool enough to get karma, but I didn't say that.

FlattestGuitar
wrote:\Also, most of the time the people complaining are the ones who aren't cool enough to get karma, but I didn't say that.

Because the system, by it's nature, creates a "Cool Kids Club" mentality and encourages giving rewards to people who did you favors and you liked, not people who actually roleplayed.
Whoops, did I just say -that- out loud.

I get 98% of my karma doing surgery real fast and getting people out of medbay pronto. Almost never as a Miner or a Civvie or chaplain, even when I'm spending all my time talking to roleplaying with folks and trying to make stuff happen.
System's working, but not as intended,

(not sure why but I think that post got deleted.)  Dinarzad explains it pretty well. If you aren't a part of a group or have an easy job for getting karma. It's a lot harder to get it, even if you're good at roleplay and make rounds interesting, more often than not you wont get any karma for your efforts. Do I think my suggestion fixes this problem? No I don't, but it's a step in the right direction to fix this somewhat broken system, making it so all jobs can gain karma equally.

A blurb about karma, then.

While pretty much all the statements here are based on very little actual data, the concern of you guys is very much understandable. The mentors supporting the current system are the ones who actually have everything they want unlocked, while new players can still struggle to get their IPCs or other goodies unlocked.

The karma system is not perfect - it's obvious that sometimes what we feel is "a good roleplay performance" doesn't get rewarded with it, while a clown slipping three nukies will get tons of the stuff.

Inspired by this lovely thread, I've set off on an adventure of writing shitty scripts and manually downloading way too many logs.

This is a graph showing the relationship between the amount of punches a person threw in the first week of March and the amount of karma they've received. Each dot represents a person. I know it's mostly useless, but I had no better ideas. 

nxRfdIm.png

Vertical axis is punches, horizontal - karma.

The relationship is clear - the more people you punch, the more karma you get. (that was a joke, it doesn't work like that, obviously)

The graph contains 860 unique ckeys, but most of them are stuck together in the bottom left.

I'm not giving out the logs themselves, but I'll happily try to produce other graphs, charts or pictures you guys request that show the bigger picuter. Who knows, maybe we'll find some interesting relations...

Edited by FlattestGuitar

Actually looking at the data the top earners throw a conservative amount of punches, with the punchiest players being on the lower end of the spectrum. The majority of karma earners throw 0-50 punches, with the biggest earners throwing on average 25 punches a month.

Produce a graph showing the amount of karma awarded by people who play medical and people who don't to see which percentage of karma as a whole is awarded to MD's. This is a long-standing statement (surgeons get the most karma) that everyone seems to deny, so it would be interesting to see figures.

Would also be interesting to see antag vs. non-antag, to see who gets more.

10 hours ago, Shadeykins said:

Actually looking at the data the top earners throw a conservative amount of punches, with the punchiest players being on the lower end of the spectrum. The majority of karma earners throw 0-50 punches, with the biggest earners throwing on average 25 punches a month.

Produce a graph showing the amount of karma awarded by people who play medical and people who don't to see which percentage of karma as a whole is awarded to MD's. This is a long-standing statement (surgeons get the most karma) that everyone seems to deny, so it would be interesting to see figures.

Would also be interesting to see antag vs. non-antag, to see who gets more.

I would like to see more of this kind of analytical data also, I've always perceived myself to get more karma when I'm antagging than anything else. Specifically when I'm doing crazy stuff when there's lots of ghosts. The "medbay method" never really worked for me.

1 hour ago, Sothangel said:

Nothing gets me going like a good graph. I'd love to see more things, like karma/days played to see what the actual average is.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that SOMEONE took all the karma logs from before March offline and I'm way too lazy to ask Alffd to find them for me, I won't be able to do that.

I did come up with this rather rough graph showing how likely people are to play medbay in relation to their karma earnings. Just 722 ckeys this time. Less people medbayed than punched. Interesting.

Again, a very rudimentary graph, since there's no easy way to extract jobs people have from our logs. These stats come from a log that spits out the crew manifest roughly every 30 minutes. The vertical axis is the amount of times a person appeared on that manifest under one of the following roles: Medical Doctor, Nurse, Chemist, Surgeon, Paramedic, Chief Medical Officer. Not a ton of information and the trend line is being mean again, but I think there is some correlation here.

sSOKhSi.png

I'll get around to getting the antag stuff done once I have some more time to figure out how I'm gonna go about getting that info.

Edited by FlattestGuitar

I've given a sec officer Karma after being harmbatoned as a thrall. The security only wanted to break my bones so I am forced to go to med bay. That, and I was a bit of a jerk for resisting.

edit: I guess being shitcurity gets you karma.

Edited by Jovaniph

I'm very much against automating karma like this.
It also goes against the very idea behind the whole system, this would make it so that people shit out their karma to someone random at round end just to farm up those good boy points.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use