Chaplain's Role

Monstrant

How do you see the Chaplain and his role on station.  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just nerf his weapon so he isn't such an antag killing machine, I'm not sure why the priest needs such a strong weapon when his job should be converting people not killing them.

The null rod exists primarily to fuck with the Cult and their runes. The Bible reveals them but the Rod erases them.

Personal opinion time: It's damage should be lowered on most everything EXCEPT Cultists and Vampires.

The Chaplain absolutely -should- be a force to reckon with if you are a a member of a Cthulhu cult or an undead abomination. Holy magic versus Unholy magic.

Chappy's importance -should- be at an all time high when unholy hell magics enter the equation. Given his entire schtick is the wellbeing of the crew in a not so physical sense. Their mental and spiritual state.

He should be significantly LESS important if it's just some asshole with a gun. That's what Sec is for.

Shadowlings... ehh... could go either way on it, really.

It's a role with a lot of potential for building your own character. You have your pick at what the character background can be. Some possibilities for emphasis are:

* Cermonial

* Inquisitor/"Kick-ass-for-the-lord" person. Either from the supernatural perspective or the spec-ops perspective.

* Spiritual-growth-in-others kind of person

* Some sort of reject who have been given a bad assignment far out in the galactic wastelands.

I see no reason to limit the role in some sort of SOP other than when he/she needs to step up to the plate during cult/vamp rounds.

I think the wiki should focus on those aspects of the job. I remember once I played chaplain and security had need of my services. I wanted to make somebody drink the holy water, but instead I broke the flask on their head or something.

It's a role with a lot of potential for building your own character. You have your pick at what the character background can be. Some possibilities for emphasis are:

* Cermonial

* Inquisitor/"Kick-ass-for-the-lord" person. Either from the supernatural perspective or the spec-ops perspective.

* Spiritual-growth-in-others kind of person

* Some sort of reject who have been given a bad assignment far out in the galactic wastelands.

I see no reason to limit the role in some sort of SOP other than when he/she needs to step up to the plate during cult/vamp rounds.

I mean, why do we need to nerf the chaplain? Murder it`s still illegal, so the Chaplain can`t go on a CULT Murderbone/ValidHunt, and vampires are pretty robust if you get robusted by a chaplain you`re probably unrobust...

And remember Cult is the easiest antag...atleast for me, Everytime I get choosen for Cult, I`ve always GreenTexted and converted way more than half of the cultists...

I just think vampires should get Buffed, (Major Overhaul of the antag, if they get discovered early in the round, they`re dead... same counts for shadowlings, it happens often if a newbie of the antag gets choosen)...

-Just my Own personal opinion

He's a gorram Chaplain. He's a religious man who's morals aren't really all that dependent on his religious teachings unless he's particularly devout and believing. His actual, true belief in his higher power, real or not, empowers him to do minor miracles through either divine intervention or incredibly force of will, such as blessing water, healing those in need, and the other minor things the Chaplain can do. He even has a holy relic or two.

Kitchen knives (and their nasty big brother the cleaver) are just as deadly as the buffest null rods and nobody has a problem with the chef.

Too many chaplains valid because they're pretty much just super powered assistants ATM with no responsibilities, IMO this has a lot to do with the chapel being fugly, it really needs a redesign.

Chaplains can be women and robots too, and they can also be young. :^)

Hence why I voted 3.

Unecessary edge. I havent even given it a thought when making the post. Great job noticing and bringing it up. Horay equality.

Chaplains can be women and robots too, and they can also be young. :^)

Hence why I voted 3.

Unecessary edge. I havent even given it a thought when making the post. Great job noticing and bringing it up. Horay equality.

I was just being my usual derp. If it's not evident already, I'm of the opinion that the chaplain shouldn't really act like a paladin.

The role of the Chaplain is something I find to be incredibly weird, considering the part they play in different rounds on the station.

On one hand during shifts without vampires or the cult the Chaplain is purely an RP role, faffing around, praying, trying to start a religion or just playing DnD in the library with the equally useless ( D: ) Librarian. On the other hand the Chaplain is a great asset to Security during cult rounds and can deal some serious damage with vampires onboard.

That binary role of the Chaplain is something I greatly dislike. The problem it causes is that half of the time the Chaplain is a player expecting a different type of gameplay than what they actually get. A Chaplain expecting to catch vampires but finding nothing of the sort in maint will be frustrated with their experience. The same goes for a Chaplain who wants to summon godly cookies but is instead forced to deconvert cult members, eventually being gibbed by acolytes in maint. At Security even rounds of Extended are filled with catching greytide, screaming at the Warden and cleaning the HoP's line.

Personally I feel that the Chaplain should be pushed towards being an interesting, maybe slightly gimmicky job that does not depend on the current gamemode to shape it. Removing the swords that encourage the Chaplains to seek enemies, getting rid of the armor and giving him more interesting non-lethal alternatives to the null rod would be the perfect way to go in my opinion. The only challenge here is making those alternatives actually fun to toy around with; we don't want to make the role boring to play.

The role of the Chaplain is something I find to be incredibly weird, considering the part they play in different rounds on the station.

On one hand during shifts without vampires or the cult the Chaplain is purely an RP role, faffing around, praying, trying to start a religion or just playing DnD in the library with the equally useless ( D: ) Librarian. On the other hand the Chaplain is a great asset to Security during cult rounds and can deal some serious damage with vampires onboard.

That binary role of the Chaplain is something I greatly dislike. The problem it causes is that half of the time the Chaplain is a player expecting a different type of gameplay than what they actually get. A Chaplain expecting to catch vampires but finding nothing of the sort in maint will be frustrated with their experience. The same goes for a Chaplain who wants to summon godly cookies but is instead forced to deconvert cult members, eventually being gibbed by acolytes in maint. At Security even rounds of Extended are filled with catching greytide, screaming at the Warden and cleaning the HoP's line.

Personally I feel that the Chaplain should be pushed towards being an interesting, maybe slightly gimmicky job that does not depend on the current gamemode to shape it. Removing the swords that encourage the Chaplains to seek enemies, getting rid of the armor and giving him more interesting non-lethal alternatives to the null rod would be the perfect way to go in my opinion. The only challenge here is making those alternatives actually fun to toy around with; we don't want to make the role boring to play.

I feel and know on the inside such solution, via cult mechanic or else will be optimal, but I feel that chaplain is not the chaplain if he is not combat one. I personally dont mind playing either but I PICK chaplain because I want to be the one to protect the station from darkness, if no darkness is there sure I can summon a few cookies ( so far 2 :(... ) I am afraid that you cutting out the combat part will kill the role for me. Because I see fighting evil as something inherent in chaplain. The wrong is not the bipolarity the wrong is lack of alternative, that means keeping the weapon for the case they are NEEDED but making the slightly less active traitor rounds also fun! What can be more rewarding that actually giving chaplain objective insentive from which he garners divine powers? Not to mention it will also help those chaplains who dont want to get killed by cultists as they can send out their aprentices or lesser priests instead and have divine powers from the their cult which will make their life more comfortable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use