Guide to Surgery

cian2066

First Off

Use the health analyzer to scan the patient, this will tell you if they have any fractures, need appendix removed or whatever the case

Next put them in the body scanner (located in the surgery room and the cyro room south west of medbay) and make sure to take note of all damages and/or fractures (this includes organs, it may say nothing is broken down there but if there is 5 brute damage on his heart, they need surgery on it. This part is easily missed.)

Get the patient to strip in the patient room and store their items in a locker. Bring them into surgery and place them on the table (grab them and click table). MAKE SURE TO BE WEARING LATEX GLOVES AND A STERILE MASK AND WASH HANDS!!!! Unwashed hands will result in infection which causes toxic damage and you will have to give them anti toxin or open them up and use ointment again.

Go into surgery storage and get an anesthetic tank and a mask. Put them on the patient (drag them to you and put the tank on their back and the mask on their face) and set internals.

Performing Surgery

Broken bones

1. Aim for the affected area e.g chest head etc.

2. Use a scalpel to make an incision.

3. Use the hemostat to stop any bleeding (sometimes not required, if not move to the next step)

4. Use the refractor to pry open the incision

5. Use bone gel to repair the bone

6. Use the bone setter to set the bone

7. Use bone gel again to finish mending the bone

8. Use the cautery to seal the incision

Internal organs

1. Aim for the chest

2. Use the scalpel to make an incision.

3. Use the hemostat to stop any bleeding.

4. Use the refractor to pry open the incision.

5. Use the circular saw to cut open the ribcage.

6. Use the refractor to bend the ribcage open.

7. Use the scalpel to mend any damaged organs.

8. Use the refractor to bend the ribcage back into place.

9. Use bone gel to fix the ribcage.

10. Use the cautery to seal the incision.

Appendectomy

1. Aim for the groin.

5. Use the scalpel to cut out the appendix.

6. Use the hemostat to take the appendix out.

7. Use the cautery to seal the incision.

Bullet removal/Implant/alien larva removal

1. Aim for the affected area.

4. Use the refractors to pry open the incision

5. (CHEST ONLY) Use the circular saw to cut open the ribcage.

6. (CHEST ONLY) Use the refractor to open the ribcage.

7. Use the hemostat to remove the bullet/implant (keep using it until it says there is nothing left)

8. (CHEST ONLY) Use the refractor to bend the ribcage back into place.

9. (CHEST ONLY) Use bone gel to mend the ribcage.

Internal Bleeding

1. Aim for the affected area.

4. Use the refractors to pry open the incision.

5. Use the fix-o-vein to mend any damaged blood vessels.

6. Use the cautery to seal the incision.

Eye repair

1. Aim for the eyes.

2. Use the scalpel to

3. Use the refractors

4. Use the hemostat to mend the eyes.

5. Use the cautery to seal the incision.

Brain damage

1. Aim for the head.

3. Use the circular saw to cut open the skull.

4. Use the hemostat to remove bone chips.

5. Use the fix-o-vein to repair damaged blood vessels.

6. Use the cautery to seal the incision.

Brain Removal

1. Aim for the head.

3. Use the circular saw to cut open the skull.

4. Use the scalpel to disconnect the tissue.

5. Use the circular saw to cut the brain from the spine.

6.The brain will now pop out, either: put it in a freezer or an MMI and send to robotics or place in another patient and send to genetics for cloning

Adding robotic limbs

1. Aim for the missing limb.

2. Use a scalpel to cut around the flesh.

3. Use the refractor to reshape the area.

4. Use the cautery to allow robotics limbs to be attached.

5. Attach the limb.

The hemostat has a lasting effect of clamping bleeders.

If you clamp the bleeders in an area once, they will not need to be clamped ever again in that area for the round.(scratch this, stupid surgery code is odd. They will sometimes be clamped or not.)

Face recontruction is a simple

Aim at mouth

Scalpel

Hemostat

Retractor

Cautery

This surgery is shorter than what the wikis say. It skips the 2nd and 3rd steps.

A tip.

If theres more than one surgery needed in a area do bone repair last, as some surgerys can cause fractures.

Be sure to scan your subject before removing him or her off the sleeping gas as you may have caused damage while doing surgery.

Another tip.

You do not need to wash the tools for every single surgery. Aslong as your operating on the same person an infection wont happen. Ofcourse you should wash the used tools once a person is finished.

• 1 month later...

Another tip: Make sure to complete each action to until it says that you've done so. If you don't your hand will slip and you'll 'cause some damage

up to and including internal bleeding. If you do slip it's good to monitor the patients blood level to make sure they're not losing any blood.

As for an infection, you'll want to make sure they're not taking any toxins damage, it's the first sign of an infection.

If you need to do urgent surgery you can skip the anesthesia however, keep in mind that it's one: going to be very painful, and two: any surgery

where you open the chest will most likely break their ribs.

• 7 months later...

Good day, Mebday. :!:

Here are some notes to reduce frustrated surgeons and others performing surgery!

Internal organs

1. Aim for the chest

5. Use the circular saw to cut open the ribcage.

6. Use the refractor to bend the ribcage open.

7. Use the scalpel to mend any damaged organs.

8. Use the refractor to bend the ribcage back into place.

9. Use bone gel to fix the ribcage.

NB: Don't use scalpel. An advanced trauma kit should be used to mend internal organs.

Daniel Me (my character) would probably write a technical documentation about the following procedure below, calling it a "D-Me Bypass" (pronounced "Demi Bypass"), distributing it to Medbay in general.

Internal organ damage (including ruptured lung) AND broken bones in chest (obviously)

1. (Optional) Complete Prepping for Surgery.

2. Aim for the chest in the Damage zone.

3. Use the scalpel to make incision.

4. Use the hemostat to stop any potential bleeding.

5. Use the retractors to open incision.

6. Use the saw to open the ribcage.

7. Use the retractors to open ribcage.

8. Use the advanced trauma kit to mend the organs.

9. Use the retractors to close ribcage.

10. Use bone gel to mend the cut ribcage.

11. Use bone gel again to mend the broken bone.*

12. Use the bone setter to put the bone in place.

13. Use more bone gel.

14. Use the cautery to seal the incision.

*I can't say for sure that this step is nessecary, but this his how I've learned it and how I do it every time.

I do know that there is a similar two-in-one procedyre for fixing both brain damage AND broken skull. I need a bit... *experimenting* to confirm those steps... If anyone know any more "nifty" procedures, I'd like to know em. I'll update this post when I learn more. :D

Edited by Guest

Scalpel + Circular saw + hemostat + fixOVein + hemostat (unsure, sometimes it's needed, sometimes it's not) + retractor + bone gel + bone setter + bone gel + cautery should fix brain damage and broken skull (if this is the one you are talking about, it only skips two steps though, which is closing and opening the wound again).

In OOC a few days ago, I saw some people bragging about alien extraction being a small surgery too. The one I know is one of the longest (it's basically internal organs surgery, replacing trauma kit with hemostat), so if anyone knows anything, it would be really useful. I asked many times but the person didn't reply.

One thing that works for me if the victim has multiple bone fractures, is to execute all surgeries at once, instead of a limb at a time. If I have the scalpel in hand, I will use it on every damaged area I need to open, etc. This probably doesn't work for everybody (can be pretty confusing and unorganized), but gives me a feeling of finishing stuff faster.

I think it's also important to note you shouldn't put anesthetic tank on Vox, that's basically killing them. Use sleep toxins instead, and wake them up with antitox afterwards.

Fantastic, that was exactly what I was looking for! Gotta test it out asap. :P

I've done the alien embroy extraction many times, but I usually don't use anesthetic (which may take a while to prepare). After watching the Alien movies, I don't feel it's bad roleplaying to just throw them on the table, scream "HANG IN THERE BUDDY!" and start opening them up as the embroy obviously are moving around inside them. It's also very fun having them roleplay fear and pain as the surgeon rushes the procedure, crossing his fingers it will be done in time. After closing them up, I always drag away the embroy, and let them know "It'll be alright" (unless embroy victims and aliens are swarming the theatre). Then I start regular procedure by scanning them and using anesthetics as usual for anything else... like broken ribs and such. :)

Yeah, I believe it will take less time fixing multiple location at the same time, but I don't for two reasons. My character have a compulsive need to keep things organized and be totally focused on one thing at a time, so dual-wielding surgical tools is a no-go. Secondly, I also belive this is the safest (I feel REALLY bad every time i hurt someone unintentionally during surgery), minimizing the risk of making a mistake. :cry:

Also, I've noticed the changelog from 28. june say "Germs readded, dirty surgery is now a thing, and will give you an infection". I'd like some more information about this since, I often play a surgeon.

Will we prevent gems infecting wounds as long as the hands and equipment are not dirty (covered in blood)?

Do we actually have to wash our hands before every procedure or new patient?

Do we actually have to wash every used piece of equipment used between every procedure or patient?

How do we remove infected wounds? Is it enough to apply ointment to location, or do we have to make an incision first?

Is using a soap/space cleaner/"surgical cleaner" good enough to clean gloves and/or equipment?

On a completely different note:

Doctor Daniel Me had some cases lately about a few idiots eating farwa- and monkey cubes. Don't! They will eventually burst out of the stomach as they grow bigger. In these cases a standard extraction procedure, like with the alien embroy, will remove a small deformed farwa or monkey that can be picked up like a toy. Give it to the idiot as a reminder for his, her or it's stupidity or put on your own mantlepiece. :roll:

On a completely different note:

Doctor Daniel Me had some cases lately about a few idiots eating farwa- and monkey cubes. Don't! They will eventually burst out of the stomach as they grow bigger. In these cases a standard extraction procedure, like with the alien embroy, will remove a small deformed farwa or monkey that can be picked up like a toy. Give it to the idiot as a reminder for his, her or it's stupidity or put on your own mantlepiece. :roll:

Whoever coded that is amazing. Ahha, holy crap. Imagine if you could add monkey cubes to food....

• 6 months later...

Would just like to add for anyone who is unsure on how to fix the crushed skull with the patients brain visible (shows up as no broken bones for some reason) you need to do bone surgery which will fix the skull aswell as the open brain, Hope this helps :)

• 6 months later...

Hey is anyone else having this problem during surgery? It's a pretty major thing that makes it impossible for me to properly doing surgery. Whenever and wherever I click on a person it's always the upper body instead of say the head or the arm. Anyone know why it does this or how I can fix this?

Use the doll in lower right corner of your screen to adjust the area you are aiming.

Be sure you are not in anything but help intent.

Be sure that you or anyone else is not pulling/grabbing the guy.

If everything is fucked and you keep slashing the poor bastard, pull him from the table and slamdunk him back on it. This fixes like 9/10 surgery problems.

Also, be sure the guy is healed of all damage before you do surgery, otherwise it gets messy and you break bones like breakdancing craze in a retirement home.

• 2 weeks later...

Drain Bamage? xD

Two seperate surgeries for that

Skull and Brain

Target the head

Scalpel -> Hemostat -> Retractor -> Saw -> Retractor -> Trauma Kit -> Retractor -> Bone Gel -> Bone Gel -> Bone Setter -> Bone Gel -> Cautery

That will fix the skull and repair both the brain and eyes.

Remember to make sure the head brute damage is not over 18 (i think) or the skull will rebreak!

Next is

Facial Reconstruction

To be used if they are showing up as Uknown(as BLARGH BLARGH)

Target the mouth

Scalpel -> Hemostat -> Retractor -> Cautery

• 3 months later...

Don't forget to say something between the lines of "Don't worry, I read an article about this once" just as the v̶i̶c̶t̶i̶m̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶o̶m̶p̶e̶t̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ patient is about to go down under.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use