Pen and Paper games

Earthdivine

I own over 10 thousand dollars of D&D. From the original to current. 3.5 is the one i mainly play. For 3.5 i have every book including the extras, and every adventure book for it. I have been wanting to play Warhammer, though oh well. Dark Eldar, for the warp, and all that. I have played D&D for....i want to say 14 years? somewhere around there. Playing tonight actually. Now actually lol. Im DMing.

I´d love someone to do this kind of event!

I remember one time I was a wizard, and a librarian decided to host a DnD group in the library, cause what else can he do?

So I teleported inn and had a blast, they liked my sound effects (when I threw a fireball I ACTUALLY threw a fireball, got me some extra points)

Sadly some griefers blew a bomb somewhere so we had to evacuate the area because of pressure loss

If someone wants to do this then just tell me before the round starts or on BYOND and I will make stuff happen ;)

I'll be honest i've been waiting for someone i know who plays DnD to be an AI if only so i could give it the law "Your now a Dungeon Master and the Crew is your Players" and see what would happen from there.

Diablo, since you been playing for so long, i always like asking these questions to old players, but how did you feel about all the changes they made in 4th ED DnD?

Pathfinder, WoD, Exalted, Dark Heresy and GURPs are what I've been playing the past few years.

And yeah, Paranoia and SS13 have a -lot- in common, should be more though tbh :P

Hmm, someone who also played Shadowrun. Marvelous RPG. They made a shooter of it for the xbox...its not bad...but anyway, marvelous pen and paper game. Paranoia i checked out due to never being heard of. I took one look at the first page and saw all the sarcastic comments, *cough*howcaniblametheAI*cough*. excuse me for that coughing fit there. Thanks for the suggestion, i plan on trying it out with my normal D&D group, and seeing how it plays.

• 3 months later...

I despise what they've done to D&D rulesets so I play Pathfinder mostly. I've played Paranoia once and have actually seen a game for it (The game was more like a board game with writing than anything) I'm familiar with Shadowrun but I've never played it.

As a side note I've been a Dungeon Master AI twice on paradise, both of which were hilarious.

I've only managed to get my friends to play Everyone is John. But I have the all the books for Pathfinder and DnD4e (hate it), and a bunch of white wolf core books that they recently gave out for free. I want Mouse Guard and Cyberpunk2020.

This site is amazing for online tabletop. If you are even kinda-sorta interesting in tabletop rp, then I suggest you check it out.

https://app.roll20.net/home/

• 1 month later...

I love Pen and paper games or just text games they have almost unlimited RP features and reliability sadly they haven felled into the forgotten realm of Games now a days people play games like Halo and Cod not that they art epic too (Call of duty isn't really that god but its ok)

• 3 months later...

Currently: Role Master, D&D 3.5, Ravenloft, Iron Kingdoms, SLA Industries, Only War, Fear Itself, World of Darkness, Shadowrun 5th Ed. :mrgreen:

I do a lot of GM'ing and roleplaying in the area where I live. A great community here. :)

Played 3/4e D&D, 4 is fun for my inexperienced group who are just there for the hack and slash and lols, 3e with my more experienced group. We do play Warhammer RP 1e and my group LOVE it. Also, if no one can find anyone to play with I DEFINITELY recommend roll20.net for ANY tabletop game. Tabletop as in card, RPG or whatever

I've played Dungeons & Dragons since 2nd edition, though I certainly put in the most hours on 3.0 and 3.5. I always dreaded the late game when things were well and truly off the rails (Save vs. death monsters! Save vs. death spells for the players to use on monsters! Teleporting everywhere!) but early and mid-game were delightful. I'm not super impressed with the direction 4th edition took; In my opinion they turned it into a tabletop version of a raid MMO (tank, healer, DPS, etc.) Fine for people who are into that sort of thing, but not my bag at all. We'll see how 5th edi-sorry, D&D Next. We'll see how D&D Next goes.

Sadly, playing so much D&D jaded me on many tabletop game elements used by other RPGs. I'm not really a fan of level systems anymore, for example, and I roll my eyes at games where magic items are Wal-Mart common. It's not fair, I know, and I try not to let it paint my views of new fantasy tabletops, but I'm only human.

I've played Shadowrun since 1st edition. Really cool idea for a game, and each iteration got better and better. Sadly, I've just come to find that - even when running optimally and with all the improvements between editions - it's dull to run. Rules upon rules upon rules, modifiers galore, all conspiring to bring the session to a crawl. 5th edition was particularly toxic, in my opinion: The rules didn't take a step forward like in other editions - more like a step to the side - and Catalyst Game Labs did a dreadful job on the book. Referencing tables that don't exist, mix-matching the names of game elements ("What the hell is a move action? Is it like a minor action?") and no sense of flow for information made reading that 450+ page tome an absolute chore. Oh, and the .pdf copy of the book crashes regularly by running out of memory! Classy.

I definitely understand why people still want to play Shadowrun - it's a hella cool system. But, as my group's primary GM, I'd be more inclined to keep the Shadowrun setting and use it with another system. Something like, say, Savage Worlds...

Over the last year I've started playing Savage Worlds and I think it is my new favourite tabletop game (though I'm still in the honeymoon phase so my opinions are definitely biased!) It's fast, to-the-point and easy to play and run. It offers a lot of flexibility for players to optimize their characters, but random elements like exploding damage and a deck of cards for initiative each round helps prevent an encounter from being solved. Admittedly that same unpredictability makes it less ideal for EPIC characters (high-fantasy warriors who can slay 100 orcs without taking a scratch, superheroes able to take on legions of killer robots single-handedly, etc.) but for more gritty, pulpy style adventures it's fantastic.

Mutants & Masterminds is a favourite of mine for it's character creation. The game uses a d20 system similar to Dungeons & Dragons, except you spend points to directly improve elements of your character, instead of indirectly taking classes and feats that give you bonuses in those elements. M&M taught me a lot of really cool ideas regarding game design and character creation, but after playing it so much I've found the gameplay itself is a little dull: Turns out when your plan to accommodate any and all manner of wacky superpower is to make the system incredibly generic, well, that has a direct impact on how interesting the game is to actually play.

Walls of text. DEAL with it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Currently playing a Rogue Trader game as a Deathwatch Librarian. I've had some experience playing dark heresy and dark crusade as well as Pathfinder but those games (all online) flopped after at most three weeks.

I LOVED Dark Heresy, and I'd really like to play D&D (since i feel obligated to at least SAY i've played it) but i really, really want to give world of darkness and shadowrun a try.

Currently playing a Rogue Trader game as a Deathwatch Librarian. I've had some experience playing dark heresy and dark crusade as well as Pathfinder but those games (all online) flopped after at most three weeks.

I LOVED Dark Heresy, and I'd really like to play D&D (since i feel obligated to at least SAY i've played it) but i really, really want to give world of darkness and shadowrun a try.

I was pleasantly surprised by Dark Heresy. The rules were fast but allowed complexity, the combat was quick but meaningful and the pre-made adventures I ran were excellent (though my expectations on pre-made adventures were unfairly darkened by D&D pre-mades.) The rules of the game meant the epicness of the players was measured not by how inhumanly powerful they were on paper, but by what they accomplished DESPITE being human - which I felt was really appropriate for the Warhammer 40k setting.

I was also fortunate enough to have a group of players who understood the type of game Dark Heresy is. When I said "make your characters, but know that you may not have total control over when you're afraid or when you lose a limb," they all said "okay cool." A DM's best tool is cooperative players. :)

My favourite system is Alternity.

Currently playing in a 40k Rogue Trader and a custom campaign based in the 30k millennia during the great crusade as legionaries, same ruleset.

The Navigator I'm playing in RT is the only I've ever carried across through campaigns, and it was at the GMs request.

I've learned that a good GM makes the game, regardless of setting and rules.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use