Add Corporate Racism

Sancronis

One quite interesting element of ss13 is the racism against Unathi. It could add a further challenge to being Unathi if they were barred from strating as certain roles (although they might be able to convince the captain or HoP to give it to them).

One quite interesting element of ss13 is the racism against Unathi. It could add a further challenge to being Unathi if they were barred from strating as certain roles (although they might be able to convince the captain or HoP to give it to them).

First off it's not just Unathi its all races even human

Second It would not be productive to arrest every single person on the station who said "Oh man spess lizards am I right?"

Third the HoP has no reason to not give xenos a job if he does ask the captain to sort him out

I'm not sure what the OP is suggesting here. Based on the fact he states it becomes more of a challenge to Unathi, I'm assuming he means to not add something to Space Law regarding it.

If you're suggesting making some species ineligible for command roles than I would see this as a posibility depending on what the lore is. As HoP I already discriminate against Vox anyways just for laughs (i.e. Vox greyshirt asks to be transferred to medical, I make him medical custodian), but I don't think this should be forced on people. More of an RP thing.

As much as I'd like to see a lore-friendly tier system or hierarchy of how the species interact with Humans at the top and Tajaran and Vox at the bottom, it's probably never going to happen do to how the server staff views any form of xenophobia.

As much as I'd like to see a lore-friendly tier system or hierarchy of how the species interact with Humans at the top and Tajaran and Vox at the bottom, it's probably never going to happen do to how the server staff views any form of xenophobia.

It would be cool, but it's gonna create WAAAAYYYYYYYY too many problems to justify reinforcing lore, especially since we're only mid-RP.

I'm horribly against this, mainly because we have nothing currently in place that could reasonably adjust the majority of players to dealing with this new system without heads turning, armageddon occuring, and the heads of everybody involved on spikes. That and I disagree with the principle behind it due to it being a relatively unnecessary thing.

As a note, admins don't mind speciesism, most of the time. You can be space-racist against the lizards, frogs, and the space cats and dogs. You can even be space-racist to humans. Just, no modern racism (So, you can say "Humans fucking suck" but not "Black people fucking suck")

As a note, admins don't mind speciesism, most of the time. You can be space-racist against the lizards, frogs, and the space cats and dogs. You can even be space-racist to humans. Just, no modern racism (So, you can say "Humans fucking suck" but not "Black people fucking suck")

And of course, murdering them because they're unathi is not ok. Additionally, you can get fired depending how far you take it. Getting fired from certain jobs for it is a no-no, especially if you don't do your job at all. There's a big difference between playing a botanist and being rude to tajarans and being the captain and talking in comms about lynching all IPCs.

Also - being racist can be considered provocation, and a reason for someone to attack you. Not murder you, not beat you too bad, but at the least punch you a few times. If you're racist, them being the race you're against isn't provocation.

IC discrimination against certain species was one of the reasons I left the previous server I played on, and moved to Paradise.

Even the idea that certain species are “above” others is ridiculous. Let alone job restrictions.

No. Just no.

I guess my problem with this would be that its forced roleplay of the worst sort.

As a player with many non-human characters I would have no problems with corporate speciesism if it were to occur organically out of the community. That would be something to work around in character and could be an interesting dynamic. For a long time a good portion of the story behind one of my characters even assumed it.

The problem in my mind though is one of setting. Corporations often allow biases to seep into decision making process with plenty of historical examples, however at the end of the day they exist for the sole purpose of enriching their stock holders which immediately calls to my objection to this.

How exactly does having human only leadership improve NT's bottom line when taken in context of the average human captain aboard the Cyberiad?

If I had to judge the level of leadership competency that would be displayed for a shift (maturity and capability not mechanics/law/sop) from a captain and all I was allowed to know was their species, would I place humans at the top of the list?

If not should we be discussing corporate speciesism to the disadvantage of humans? Perhaps on a high RP server or with white-listed command positions this would be plausible, but I highly doubt anyone is interested in going down that route.

Hippie as Corporate Racism, where if you chose any race other than human, the moment you do something bad, it is possible for the AI to outright SLAUGHTER YOU, if I read the descriptions correctly. Hit a human in the face? Get jumped and beaten by a gang of borgs to death. Accidentally damage a borg? You'll probably die. All because of the AI's laws stating to protect humans and prevent harm to them, but everything else is fair game.

And if that isn't messed up enough, there is also the Catbeast race, which is a race of punching bags due to the fact that anyone who plays them (or gets turned into one by an admin as punishment) has no protection from grief. This means a random stranger can just walk up to you and slit your throat in front of everyone and get away with it, while the catbeast can't do anything about it or get banned.. pretty fucked up shit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use