Merchants Kidan Redesign

Travelling Merchant

So I've spent the last month or so saving for a kidan. Got one tonight, its amazing. One thing puts me off them though:

For a big armoured predator race, they shouldn't look like the slightest breeze would snap them in half!

So I've spent the last hour or so drawing up new Kidan sprites to really show they are absolute badass bugs. I re-sprited the entire thing from the ground up to give you these chitinous beasties.

nFT2k.png

There are two styles there, one with wings and one without.

Here they are on a black background to contrast the wings for viewing.

nFSLe.png

I've given them a more beetle like look, larger tougher plates and more distinction between flesh and bone.The exoskeleton has nice reflections of light on it.

If these get added, I've left room for possible customisation too, which I'd love to make some styles for.

EDIT: I know no coding, so if someone wants to add these, feel free to contact me on paradises discord chat or on here. I can send you the sprites.

Edited by Guest

if they do have some clipping, maybe the design could be tweaked to at least make the clipping look 'intendted' much like how Diona tendrils clip through their clothes. If Kidan plates poke through at certain spots it could be handwaved away as just poking through slots in their jumpsuits. Course this is more of a problem with EVA suits....

Edited by Guest

In my opinion, EVA suits (and the NASA suit and related suits) should just make the sprite of the user invisible. All clipping issues solved. If possible, make the helmet and the suit cause the head and body to be invisible separately.

I like how these look, but am concerned they may be too buff for station clothing. If they don't have clipping issues with clothing sprites, I definitely support this.

I did play around with it and it on the non-winged Kidan. Since they are in reality, the same size sprite wise as humans, it shouldn't clip. But bare in mind, the original Kidan's head antenna clipped with almost every piece of head-ware already. Since these antenna are in the same location, this will not be different. I'm not sure if the winged kidan will clip or not. Front/back view wont clip, but the sideways views I worry the wings miiiiiiiight slip out the back.

Oh wow, these look great, dude! How difficult would it be to add the ability to customize horns? I played with the idea of them having horns in my art thread if you want to see what I mean.

Actually, I did draw some horn/spikey bits on them to see how it looked, but didn't save it. It would be perfectly possible for me to draw some cosmetic customisations.

Someone in discord suggested the "hair" part of a kidan is just the eyes, allowing us to change the eye colour using the hair colours button, which I know a lot of people want to do.

Front/back view wont clip, but the sideways views I worry the wings miiiiiiiight slip out the back.

Wings could probably work as a 'body accessory' option. That would probably help since the wings would appear over clothing then and you could always have an option to not use the wings at all (do kidan have wings normally or was that just wyrn..or whatever the other bugs were?).

Someone in discord suggested the "hair" part of a kidan is just the eyes, allowing us to change the eye colour using the hair colours button, which I know a lot of people want to do.

We also have that marking layer now for unathi/vulp/etc and that could also be useful for customization.

Wings could probably work as a 'body accessory' option. That would probably help since the wings would appear over clothing then and you could always have an option to not use the wings at all (do kidan have wings normally or was that just wyrn..or whatever the other bugs were?).

Not all Kidan have wings, but lore wise some are born with wings. Sometimes the wings are strong enough to let them fly, most of the time not though.

We also have that marking layer now for unathi/vulp/etc and that could also be useful for customization.

Didn't know that was a thing, that could help!

Much better than the weird ones we have right now.

+1 really gets the predator race message out better than the stick bugs we have already.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use