Additional IPC Customization

ProperPants

With the recent Unathi aesthetic update, I got to thinking about how IPCs can also have some additional customization. Initially, I only wanted some trimming or accenting (example at end). Some spitballing in the minichat has given me some additional ideas, which are antennas, display color (this could be a problem with precolored displays like RGB), and monitor shape (this could also be a challenge)(fuck that). Obviously this isn't a majorly necessary change, but I'm sure many players would appreciate additional customization options. I don't know any coding or sprite work, so I'm not sure how complicated this would be, but I'm sure it can be done. If anyone has additional ideas, please comment with them. If this goes through, maybe other species will have aesthetic reworkings done (non-green Dionas, anyone?) Thanks for reading, I look forward to all your feedback, guys!

EXAMPLE OF TRIMMING/ACCENTING

8526d2b8cd5b36783fd2c7002bfc0711.jpg.2d7e84010487327975defe98bb5a00c6.jpg

Edited by Guest

i'd be ok with trimming

idk about monitor shape tho, i support this idea but i personally think we should keep rectanglebob squarehead flavor

Why?

Because we really don't need Mr Flakebot the neon-purple trimmed star-headed fuckboy.

also

>non green dionas

get out

Edited by Guest

You know what would be great? And IPC monitor that would change with your intents. Help intent would make your monitor green with a little smiley on it, disarm would make it blue with a frown or flat face, grab would give an unamused frown or scrowl and harm would be the red angry face.

You know what would be great? And IPC monitor that would change with your intents. Help intent would make your monitor green with a little smiley on it, disarm would make it blue with a frown or flat face, grab would give an unamused frown or scrowl and harm would be the red angry face.

It'd be a pretty big IPC nerf, IMHO.

Sometimes you want to be on harm intent without people knowing.

Only if that's optional.

For a feature that would require updating the sprite a bunch, for a small portion of users of a species that actually has animated hair... That sounds more effort than it's worth

For a feature that would require updating the sprite a bunch, for a small portion of users of a species that actually has animated hair... That sounds more effort than it's worth

I'm pretty sure this thread is in direct response to all the other races getting massive recent updates with a million sprite variants.

I'm pretty sure this thread is in direct response to all the other races getting massive recent updates with a million sprite variants.

Pardon me, but.

Such as?

Most of the things I can think of have to do with parity to other existing races.

Pardon me, but.

Such as?

Most of the things I can think of have to do with parity to other existing races.

Apologies beforehand if this ends up sounding antagonistic. Within the past 2 weeks that I know of, there is at least:

1. Vox & Vulp updates (these are admitably just fixes/bringing them to parity, but mentioning this because IPC's have a lot of sprite glitches/issues themselves):

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/3107

2. Vox item sprites (didn't end up being merged, but I assume it will be revised and opened again, going to note here that IPC's don't have any custom item sprites, despite basically no headwear, save for large helmets, fitting them correctly visually):

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/3126

Unathi stuff + new markings slots that could be used for the suggested trim:

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/3037

I'm still personally against monitor stuff. (As in, shape.)

Building upon this

1) Robotics shouldn't have so many different things to print out when it's all the same damn thing - It's a head, and it is a head designed for that species. Having "IPC head - Star" "IPC head - circle" "IPC head - snowflake shape" consecutively down on the IPC parts list is poop.

2) See number 1. No, do not suggest a "Change-head-shape" verb or I will commit sudoku right on the spot.

Trimming again would be nice, as it doesn't modify the species' shape noticeably and doesn't add tons of shitty parts that just take up space in the code when you can settle on the original one, which is the one build to work with that species. Not to mention that hats would look EVEN UGLIER with other heads. Trimming, on the other hand, is a minor edit and it's a nice aesthetic.

You want IPC customization, meanwhile all Kida look the same.

Priorities, man!

I think kida should get to choose between black, dark-green, normal brown or grey body colors, any color that's buggy-looking that I missed. There would be some difference in chitin color, right? Nothing in the lore says "THEY MUST BE BROWN" last i've checked. There must be some kind of mantis-y kida in their history. c:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use