Make a Vulpkanin lore.

FlattestGuitar

Now I play a Vulpkanin and now I care. Let's make this happen.

Current Wiki Page

The thread that page links to seems pretty dead, so we might as well start talking about this.

Regardless of whether the race is too similar to Tajarans or not, we have a ton on people playing as them now and we can't just remove it from the game, so we should probably make a good lore for them, right?

I've been told there was some kind of a lore 'out there' but it was terrible and nobody liked it, so I dunno what to do about that.

If more people are interested I'll do the same thing I did with IPC lore and start making a basic template for you guys to fill with furry ERP interesting historical details of the race.

I can take a crack at it some time.

I've done plenty of work with gameworld lore, server lore, short stories and writing in general.

I used to handle a good bulk of item descriptions back on a server I helped dev, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I'll just take a look at the other lore pages and template it appropriately.

I'm also already a wiki contributor so yaaay

Okay, so I've looked at the old thread you can find here: Vulp Lore Rewrite and it seems pretty dead. This is the most recent version of what they were able to come up with and it's atrociously long and in-depth. We could work on making that shorter or simply construct one from ground up.

Important points that should be noted, in my opinion:

- They aren't animals and they shouldn't behave like them. Humans are pack animals too, but in the era of space exploration and professional ERP none of them behave like they did 50 000 years ago, so vulps shouldn't either. Not saying they can't, just that it shouldn't be forced on people by the lore.

- As with IPCs, the more room for people to be snowflakey, the better. We can't define behaviour too much.

- I like the idea of having to eat meat, let's make them carnivores pls.

- We shouldn't dictate their general attitude towards any other species, because that's silly. Most vulps on the station most likely have the ability to reason for themselves and have different personalities that value some traits more than others.

- Not sure if making them super close to foxes or wolves in terms of family structure is necessary, normal human-like would work better, I think... Still, let's hear everyone out.

Here is the so far empty document we're going to try to fill with cool shit, because why not? I've only enabled commenting, because since we really don't know where this is going, it's better to get some suggestions first before we start fleshing out every detail.

To be fair, wolf family structures aren't too different from humans ones anyway.

Not a wolf, can't confirm. Also, let's keep the ERP down to a minimum this time, as it's organics we're talking about and IT WILL make people go 'ew'.

Edited by Guest

To be fair, wolf family structures aren't too different from humans ones anyway.

Not a wolf, can't confirm. Also, let's keep the ERP down to a minimum this time, as it's organics we're talking about and IT WILL make people go 'ew'.

This link may be useful if you want us Vulps to have a pack structure: http://www.wolfcountry.net/information/WolfPack.html

Also, given that Vulps have copious amounts of fur (usually), it would suggest a colder climate for habitation.

This topic again, huh? I suppose the race is relatively stable now of all things, so bringing this topic back isn't a terrible idea. Let's just hope we can agree on what makes sense for the Vulpkanin--lore wise. I remember my great idea ( http://pastebin.com/85gbvxDQ ) sounded good at the time given the suggestion, but the idea behind that sort of died down. I would still put up the ideas from non-tajaran related lines in there--such as the council and NT's interaction with them.

Instead of the Vulpkanin being snowflakey with their lore, we can run something slightly more realistic with a caste society system (I would put the Tau from WH40k plus or minus the idea of etherials or what I wrote down).

I still semi-like the first idea thrown out there by Kevak. I agree with most others that it needs work but I'd call that a solid starting point for their lore. Personally I don't think everything should be space-faring or scientifically advanced. I'd go for these guys being slightly trible, wolf packish as it would. I'd keep it as simple like they were just incorporated into working for NT, maybe in exchange for some form of enlightenment or cultural diversity. I could see that for the Vulpkanin. Maybe a race interested in arts or just curious.

There isn't much of a special way most vulps act which kind of disappoints my autistic tendencies (vox have their Engrish after all and slimes go squish). I'd really like some guidelines for how they would act but nothing restricting. Nothing to give excuse to misbehave but I realize that's easier said than done and by that not much easier.

Hmmmm, do you think we could make this into a community project? Just something we could have a bunch of everybodies to chip into and then vote on who likes what more? I'd try writing out a lore myself but I'm pretty sure no one will like it and a few others have tried so also. If not a voting thing then maybe also submitting the ideas and having a topic made on them instead of just general conversation on what should be done. Not to point the finger but if people want this to happen then they need to get it out there known by others. Maybe mention on the server or just an announcement on the forum itself. Dare I say contest for this maybe? I'd go for it even if there wasn't a prize.

[/my2cents]

Rather happy to see this brought up again, excited to see where it'll end up. A caste system feels like it'd fit the species well but all's dust in the wind if people don't agree, haha.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tau

Read through that and the idea's just become infinitely more appealing. It'd make sense of different 'breeds' or whatever within the Vulpkanin species (that could potentially belong to whatever caste, but that's just an idea)-- i.e. foxlike ones, doglike ones, wolflike ones-- etc. etc. etc.

Then again, what's to stop a wolflike Vulpkanin who's predisposed for physical prowess from being a smarty scholar? Or a frail, weak doglike breed from being a scout in the military?

With that thought in mind, it doesn't make too much sense to define caste by breed-- although it might serve as a basis for defining who/what goes where in general terms.

We'll see, I suppose

Okay guys, let's make some basic outlines for different versions of the lore. We'll pick one and try to flesh it out.

This is pretty much what the weird old doc had in it, minus few parts which were kinda redundant and too lengthy.

Vulpkanins are at a technological level similar to hoomans of the 21st century. Their sun is dying, and about to take them down with it. They have no way of escaping, pretty much fukked. NT comes along, offers them shitty contracts, but in turn saves them from total extinction. Vulps are terribly mistreated, but now, after X years some begin to regain trust in NT, because afterall it's the Corp that saved their race and all...

Not sure how long it has been since they helped them gtfo. In the original doc they're still helping, but I think it doesn't make sense to force every vulp player to RP getting half their pay and daily a flogging. Something around 50 years would be much better, I think.

I didn't really get into the details on how their society looked, including culture, 'family structure', religion and all that jazz.

I think this story looks pretty neat and we could tweak it a bit and make it like 200 times shorter than the old document.

GET TO WORK, YA LAZY PEOPLE!

I'm still finding it hard to justify a race that's a reskin of something else.

Under that logic you could justify removing Tajaran, Skrell, and Unathi---afterall, they're just a "reskin" of humans.

The fact of the matter is, there's a lot of players that intentionally play and pick Vulp over other races---they enjoy the race and have really made it their own--even if this is only for an aesthetic difference, it's still a race that they specifically chose. Not everyone plays a race because of the powers/weaknesses they have--some play for the lore and (especially) aesthetics.

If don't personally understand why someone would enjoy playing as an IPC--but players do enjoy playing as them and they have made IPCs their very own as wel. They legitimately enjoy playing as that race; just because I can't justify playing them as a race on a personal scale doesn't mean that others can't justify playing as an IPC or IPCs being included---again, players enjoy and like that style/aesthetic.

We have players that have specifically joined up and/or stayed at Paradise specifically/purely because of this race (and I'm sure that's the case for other races too!)---highly competent players who do their job and make Paradise a better place to play in--isn't that and the fact that they (and others) enjoy this race reason enough?

I'm still finding it hard to justify a race that's a reskin of something else.

Under that logic you could justify removing Tajaran, Skrell, and Unathi---afterall, they're just a "reskin" of humans.

Skrell maybe, who'se list of traits include one unique language, a minor buff (breathes underwater... the pool) and a somewhat annoying debuff (can't wear helmets.) If any race could have used some TLC before another race was added it was, and still is, the Skrell.

Unathi, Tajaran and Diona all have buffs and debuffs unique to their species and are instantly recognizable as their species and all but impossible to confuse for another without a full body suit to disguise them. Even a Skrell is recognizable due to their head tentacles.

Vulpakins, on the other hand, are almost straight carbon copies of Tajaran with fluffier tails and pointy(er) ears. Otherwise they have the same buffs and debuffs, body sprites and colorations. At a glance the only way to differentiate these two species is by looking at the tail. Compared to any other species which is able to be recognizable by their unique traits, colorations or shape.

I'm not saying to remove the race, I'm just saying they need to be differentiated from the other races and not being a sprite swap of an existing one.

Just me, maybe, but I've noticed that the Vulpkanin language looks somewhat like German. I've uh, actually thought it might be interesting to write their culture up as being somewhat similar to post Berlin Wall-era Germany.

Something similar to punk culture/a pop culture renaissance occurring (Thus why Vulpkanin dye themselves such wild colours and are largely on the young side). For the first time, they're free to leave their home planet and explore. Maybe they're just recovering from a civil war or some'at. I might write up something a little more... Thorough on this matter. Hm.

I'm just saying they need to be differentiated from the other races and not being a sprite swap of an existing one.

You have two options when making a new race.

Option one: Totally unique sprites.

A totally unique sprite is a lofty goal that comes with an assortment of issues. If you deviate too much from a human base then you're going to have to remake or edit every single thing that can be worn as well as every in-hand item. You still cant deviate too much either, you are absolutely confined to 32 x 32 and similar sizes to humans unless you want to encounter the problems that come with both large and small sprite hitboxes being either too easy to hit or impossible to hit. You'll also run the risk of a very unique sprite not properly fitting on vehicles/chairs/surgery/cryo/roller beds/etc.

You also will have to constantly be making more and more sprites (yay, excessive sprites/bigger downloads!) as more things are added that are worn/held, which isn't a realistic expectation for any artist to always be able to provide support for something. What'll likely happen is things just wont be able to be worn by that race or when worn will not fit properly and will look pretty unappealing.

The other issue with doing something entirely unique is that you run the huge huge risk of it not fitting in with all the other things. This was a big deciding factor for me using the human as the base. It is difficult to make nice improved shiny new sprites without people complaining that they look out of place.

Option Two: Human Base +

Using the human as a base means that you are limited but it also means that you cut down on the amount of sprites needed to implement a new thing. You also are pretty safe to assume your race will work with any future things made for humans since they're the base for absolutely everything. If something is ported from another place for humans then there probably wont be much additional work to ensure it works with races that use the human as their base.

This is why I chose to use the human body as a base. It enabled me to make a race that is quite compatible with all existing and future things made for humans. You are not restricted to a sparse amount of clothes (like vox are) and you don't suffer from the "you cannot wear that" problems that Tajaran/Vox sometimes encounter. We've had both vox and tajaran for ages and only recently did vox even get shoes and their proper jumpsuits.

More Differences: ????

The fact is that both options are an obnoxious amount of work. I'm not sure what bigger differences people expect to happen with a humanoid canine race. What more could possibly be done to make it 'stand out' enough without causing an excessive amount of extra sprites or making it similar to other things? Digitigrade legs? Then we suffer the same problem as tajarans/vox.

I don't really think having lots of benefits/downsides to a race should be their defining feature or only reason for playing that race. It's much more enjoyable when people play a race because they're interested in the race compared to wanting some sort of gameplay advantage. That merely attracts the wrong people and gives the race itself a bad reputation (eg: vox leap, slime vent crawling etc)

If the Vulpkanin race really is a shitty reskin then how come so many players choose it? For some it's /really/ not the matter of how good mechanically a race is, but rather what they can do with it RPing.

Now please let's end this discussion and actually work on the lore before the thread derails even further. If you feel like it you can go make a new of for the purpose of arguing about Vulpkanins.

Quite hard to notice that the Tajara are digitigrade based on their body sprite

In fact, as far as I can tell, they're just human legs recoloured with the very bottom two pixel rows of the feet shifted one column to the right vs. the Vox who get clearly non plantigrade legs/feet

Vulpkanin are German.

For some reason this makes a lot of sense to me.

I find this strangely accurate too and I have no reason why. They just seem it. Maybe wouldn't be bad to make the lore into some similar fashion, minus obvious historic references.

Hm. I still like possible tribal lifestyle. I'd go for a company that's not NanoTrasen finding them and bringing them to the known other systems for cultural reasons. I don't really like how NT gets all the limelight. Surely there must be some other company out there that can beat them to some of the things. Unnamed even, just not NT for once

Vulpkanin are German.

For some reason this makes a lot of sense to me.

I find this strangely accurate too and I have no reason why. They just seem it. Maybe wouldn't be bad to make the lore into some similar fashion, minus obvious historic references.

Hm. I still like possible tribal lifestyle. I'd go for a company that's not NanoTrasen finding them and bringing them to the known other systems for cultural reasons. I don't really like how NT gets all the limelight. Surely there must be some other company out there that can beat them to some of the things. Unnamed even, just not NT for once

Pretty much every Vulpkanin played on the station is civilized and educated (Not to mention occasionally serving as members of Command). It REALLY wouldn't make much sense for them to be uplifted tribespeople. At all.

I'd rather see them working with NanoTrasen out of their own desire.

I always liked to imagine Vulpkanin would have a lore that was just a simple even-grounds relationship with most other species and a similar way of life to Humans, with a home planet that had a colder environment than Earth. Putting them on-par with Humans or Skrell for technology, but just being one of the more recently-discovered races leading to some minor mistrust might be interesting.

I've never really been a fan of the races being "uplifted" by Nanotrasen/Humanity/smart greedy aliums and put to work and we've already got like three races like that. Having more races that are simply other races living in the galaxy who earned their space exploration badges is nice, in my opinion.

I always liked to imagine Vulpkanin would have a lore that was just a simple even-grounds relationship with most other species and a similar way of life to Humans, with a home planet that had a colder environment than Earth. Putting them on-par with Humans or Skrell for technology, but just being one of the more recently-discovered races leading to some minor mistrust might be interesting.

I've never really been a fan of the races being "uplifted" by Nanotrasen/Humanity/smart greedy aliums and put to work and we've already got like three races like that. Having more races that are simply other races living in the galaxy who earned their space exploration badges is nice, in my opinion.

This, and due to the tendency of players to form highly cliquey social circles with the Vulpkanin species (You can see this all over the place) you might even toss in some isolationist homeworld policies, that were only recently changes thus the sudden appearance of the Vulp in the NT Worplace.

I still think Vulpkanin should be merged with Tajaran as extra cosmetic options, but if that ain't gonna happen I guess I'll try and contribute something

It might be worth dispelling a common fallacy here. Having fur does not necessarily mean a creature is from a colder environment. Fur can also develop (and has developed) as a method for drawing body heat away from the body and protecting it from direct sunlight in hotter climes. A good fantasy example of this is the Khajiit from TES because I'm an elder scrolls nerd - Similar to tigers, their habitat is hot and humid, and their fur is meant to draw heat away from the body. This was the subject of many slap-downs when I saw people confused all like, "Why are khajiit in skyrim really cold when they have fur?! Nonsense!"

So, don't fall into the logic trap of "fur = heat retention" - we might be able to expand into more interesting areas this way.

And, before anyone says "well, they're supposed to be canine and/or vulpine, therefore wolves and/or foxes, therefore colder climates", let me remind you that both vulpine and canine creatures exist in deserts too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use