Gateway Idea: Mirror-Universe Cyberiad

Keroman

With regards to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6532

Professor Cupcake said he thought I should post the idea here so I am.

I was thinking it would be neat to have a gateway destination that turned out to be the Cyberiad but in a different dimension where everyone has died horribly. There would be random damage to the station, maybe the power would be out (no singulo/maybe it got loose and ate most of Engineering before veering off into space?)

The kicker is that the map would be populated by the dead bodies of the current crew-members on board our own Cyberiad. That part would be a little tricky in terms of checking the name, race, and identifiers of each person and then spawning dead bodies for each one in the appropriate departments.

There would be little to no indication as to how each person died. The ID cards and PDAs could all be nonfunctional - maybe a massive EMP wiped out all electronics on the station including the chips in the cards - but if players can get power restored (maybe via solars/turbine/generators) they could potentially use their own IDs to move around within their own departments.

I think it would be also be a way for some antagonists to complete their objectives. I would say it may not be the best idea to have antag items spawn on the corpses otherwise Command would likely send a team through to the mirror universe to sweep the bodies and find out who the antags are on our own Cyberiad.

Other than that there could still be the traitor targets for stealing stuff, like the Captain's medals, the HoS laser gun, etc, all locked up of course. Maybe changelings could steal a brain from the mirror-universe corpse of their target.

I imagine that having the server run an entire second full-size map of the Cyberiad might cause problems but if the power is permanently off and atmosphere is completely drained I imagine that could help minimize the load on the server.

Thoughts?

With regards to whose corpses show up on the mirror-universe Cyberiad (Cyb-mirror-iad?) I figure it'd be a one-time thing maybe when the gateway is first accessed? The dead bodies would only show up in the correct departments, maybe with the corpses of Assistants appearing throughout all departments and Civlians/Traders' corpses only showing up in places like arrivals, evac, holodeck, locker room, library, chapel.

If anyone joins the round after the gateway has been opened their corpse doesn't suddenly appear on the other version of the Cyberiad.

With regards to whose corpses show up on the mirror-universe Cyberiad (Cyb-mirror-iad?) I figure it'd be a one-time thing maybe when the gateway is first accessed? The dead bodies would only show up in the correct departments, maybe with the corpses of Assistants appearing throughout all departments and Civlians/Traders' corpses only showing up in places like arrivals, evac, holodeck, locker room, library, chapel.

If anyone joins the round after the gateway has been opened their corpse doesn't suddenly appear on the other version of the Cyberiad.

That could work. The Gateway does take, what, five minutes to warm up? Also you shouldn't expect any deads to be in the Gateway room which you would supposedly enter from, sans station power to return maybe. That will make a decent amount of load when the Gateway is accessed however, unless the dead spawning is active as players enter before the Gateway is accessed. The load would then idealy be spread out through the round.

Another idea. Bloodied items. More load but more details added. Just an after though, you know seeing that the whole station will be covered in blood anyways :P

I still want the idea of Horror Station 13 for this mission. Have a ghost or admun be selected to take control of a monster that is; invisible until it attacks, kills in but a few hits, that take time to cool down, through massive suffocation damage (Read; steals their souls) and is mostly but maybe not totally invincible.

The player would also have a set of rules imposed to prevent them going to the actual station, so those willing to risk the rewards of an all access ID and all dat sweet ass weaponry have to run the gauntlet, while not imposing the death eater onto the players who are not interested.

Horror.

Station.

EDIT: This may or may not be influenced by that adventure Maxis, Dave and myself had on LLJK last night. Fuck that shit was spooky. If ambience was added to increase the spookiness, such as soft music interjected by sudden louder sounds, that would be amazing.

I believe /tg/ has defender wizards, which are player controlled wizards that are in certain away missions and attempt to kill anything that doesn't belong in said away mission.

Edited by Guest

I'm definitely not opposed to having some sort of monster running around harassing the players that go through. I think it should scale in in difficulty depending on how many players have gone through the gateway which, if there's an admin controlling the monster, shouldn't be difficult. Maybe lore-wise the monster could be the source of a constant EMP effect which disrupts the power on the station and prevents the gateway on that side from opening until it's killed. The players would need to rely on unpowered weapons as well, so no lasers/tasers/stunprods, but likely there could be a few shotguns or pistols tucked away in places. There'd be a very limited amount of ammo, however, so if the players aren't good shots they may have to make some spears to fight with.

As far as having "rewards" for the players I imagine that an all access ID would quickly be confiscated as soon as they got back to our own Cyberiad. Likewise if they found any weapons Security (especially Beepsky) would be quick to crack down on anyone walking around armed. Any "rewards" they get would need to have a negligible effect upon their return to the station. Maybe they could find some cool armored outfits or EVA suits or the alternate-universe Captain's medals (remember, EMP monster = unlocked medal case!)

I still want the idea of Horror Station 13 for this mission. Have a ghost or admun be selected to take control of a monster that is; invisible until it attacks, kills in but a few hits, that take time to cool down, through massive suffocation damage (Read; steals their souls) and is mostly but maybe not totally invincible.

The player would also have a set of rules imposed to prevent them going to the actual station, so those willing to risk the rewards of an all access ID and all dat sweet ass weaponry have to run the gauntlet, while not imposing the death eater onto the players who are not interested.

Horror.

Station.

EDIT: This may or may not be influenced by that adventure Maxis, Dave and myself had on LLJK last night. Fuck that shit was spooky. If ambience was added to increase the spookiness, such as soft music interjected by sudden louder sounds, that would be amazing.

So basically a revenant that can attack people that aren't unconscious.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use