Give us Xenos mode back.

Spacemanspark

More seriously, though, BRING IT BACK.

...And nerf the current xenos we have a tad bit.

Or port over CM xenos.

I could see about fixing Xenos, themselves so they can kill cameras and other stuff like that, again....then the game mode coudl just be something that could be forced every now and again on a blue moon.

Xenos is better as a Random event, or add other antags into the mix with objectives to complete.

Would be very interesting to see how Security might react when someone saves their bacon with obvious Syndi gear. And a MALF AIs actions partially hidden as it's going crazy to contain the Xeno threat while eradicating crew not-so-randomly.

Hard as hell to code in random antags alongside Xenos, yeah I know, but would be fun.

Or port over CM xenos.

I played there a bunch, the Xenos they have are broken, glitched and general inferior. Specific things to port (such as evolutions) wouldn't be bad. Last I checked, they had buggy old teleport vent crawling and a lot of other stupid things, like Ravagers.

And a MALF AIs actions partially hidden as it's going crazy to contain the Xeno threat while eradicating crew not-so-randomly.

I would love to see Malf AI combined with other rounds, right now it's pretty obvious that there's a lot of people who go "Hey, we haven't caught any antags, better check cameras looking for blue APC's" (or the alternative, hey look a blue APC, but I just caught a traitor so its a good thing it's just emagged!)

Have to agree with the others, in my opinion xenos are much better when introduced as an event and can provide some interesting scenarios which wouldn't occur if it was a round type.

recently fixed the camera slashing bug for Xenos. I'm not sure if there's any other that remain other than one major one that prevents this mode from being used again: Xenos can't launch their own shuttle.

Once that's fixed, this could be utilized, on a limited basis, every now and again.

I thought the biggest issue (aside from balance or missing features) with the gamemode is it can't end until forced to by an admin or crew transfer? Having it in the rotation could lead to some rounds with a lot of waiting if it comes up when there are no admins online.

I thought the biggest issue (aside from balance or missing features) with the gamemode is it can't end until forced to by an admin or crew transfer? Having it in the rotation could lead to some rounds with a lot of waiting if it comes up when there are no admins online.

Xenos win when 90% of the crew is dead I believe, Crew wins when every Xeno on station is dead.

This means ALOT of people are sitting in ghost chat for a very long time doing nothing, and that is very boring. Particullarly when the mode turns into cat at mouse.

recently fixed the camera slashing bug for Xenos. I'm not sure if there's any other that remain other than one major one that prevents this mode from being used again: Xenos can't launch their own shuttle.

Once that's fixed, this could be utilized, on a limited basis, every now and again.

Is it possible to make it have a less of a chance of appearing in the random selection, but still be a variable in it? Or are all the random rounds selected at equal variables?

It'd still be good to see Xenos appear now and then, without an admin forcing it if he feels in the mood.

Is it possible to make it have a less of a chance of appearing in the random selection, but still be a variable in it? Or are all the random rounds selected at equal variables?

There is, we have different increments of appearing for each game mode. However that brings the question of is it still worth putting it into the Rotation in it's present state; ie bugged shuttles, the requirements to win, etc.

There is, we have different increments of appearing for each game mode. However that brings the question of is it still worth putting it into the Rotation in it's present state; ie bugged shuttles, the requirements to win, etc.

First of all, it is worth it. The shuttle was only invented to give the players (larva) to choose what xeno the want to be. [except the queen and the xeno AI because they're a necessity]

almost like the syndicate shuttle

Second, about the winning requirements. IF the round drags for too long because of reasons [spoiler2]One xeno left, somehow 15 people have managed to bunker in security, the queen floats in spess, the xenos managed to kill the clown, someone is welding a fireaxe in a fartsuit, ADMINBUSING etc.[/spoiler2] the admins can start a vote to either restart the round or vote for who won and then restart.

Also, about the facehuggers meta-gaming. One of the coders needs to make a certain radius around the queen (30~ blocks?) that a facehugger can't cross or will get a pop-up warning that he's going to get gibbed in 10 seconds if he won't return to the radius... and also something to indicate the border so the facehugger won't accidentally cross it.

Player controlled face huggers were basically instant death for crew not wearing protection. THey could hide under tables and move like (old) drones. And that leap ability had longer range than flamethrowers, I remember laying down some heat only for the hugger to jump through the flames at me.

You can shorten the range of the jump to within the range of Flamethrower and ensure that a Flamethrower can instakill one. Prevent them from ventcrawlling. Can take away hide.

Those are the only listed issues. If someone lets themselves facehugged with those in effect, that's their fault. Player skill doesn't matter as much when they have to run so close.

The idea of xenos is great, they are a lot of fun to play. The new won abillity for them to literally ambush you from the ventilation system is brilliant. It can really create this fear of beeing constantly hunted and you have to keep on guard all the time.

About the Xeno Mode:

The Xeno mode itself was kinda meh. It was a interessting thought to give them a shuttle, AI and Borgs, but that was totally out of place and ultimately not thought through or at least not coded to completion. The AI was boring as hell and the borgs and shuttle didn't fit at all.

Xenos should be part of other gamemodes or be side events, i do totally agree that right now xenos happen far to infrequent and that's really a shame considering how fun they can be.

Alternatives

Xenos could be a constant threat on the mining asteriod and beeing spawned at round start or when ghosts arrive to take control of them. That would require the Mining Outpost and the Research Outpost to play a much bigger role. You suddenly need your own Mining Security and possibly a Medic, which could lead to some fun gameplay.

Or xenos could simply be spawned in by admins more frequrently, not in the middle of a full out war between nukies and the station, but in cases where the entire station is literally waiting for the last antag to steal some magboots i see totally no harm in it. Yes, an antag might be killed by a xeno and "loose" his round, but honestly this game is not about a single person having fun but rather the entire station.

Facehugger problem

It would be cool to have player controlled facehuggers but i totally see the powergaming implications of that. If we cannot get player controlled facehuggers going, then xenos need another buff for the early game. It's all uppon the queen to incapacitate a crewmember, get them "face hugged" and get the Xeno ball rolling. Which is almost impossible without your target screaming ";HALP XENOS AT THE INCINERATOR!" at which point the armory will be raided and the poor queen will be lasered to death. A queen should have a abillity to toally suppress every coms singnal in a certain radius around the queen for a decent duration. Not a scrambled signal like "%h§)") which everyone could meta game as "Xenos on board", just not send the coms singal at all.

Later in the round the queen usually stands behind in the lair and hunters and sentinels will roam the station, at which point that powerfull ability will be not that usefull anymore.

Facehugger problem

*snip

The way I think it could be balanced is player controlled face huggers move VERY slow if they are, I don't know, 15 spaces away from a queen or (not sure how you would designate this) a nest. That way they have an advantage if you try to get into the nest and destroy it, but they wouldn't wander far from the nest (like in the movie).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use