Removing Wizard Mass Summoning Spells

Crom

lNwmrgN.gif

I am declaring that these spells do nothing but harm the game. Every wizard wants to use the spells everytime, but the spells do JACK to aid them. It only harms them. Wizards typically die as soon as they teleport to the station half the time. Lets make a better wizard gametype. Remove these spells for the good of the station.

Maybe not remove them entirely, but certainly nerf them considerably. Currently all wizards really need to do is use one of these, wait for the crew to murder eachother, then teleport in.

In reality it works more or less like this:

-Use summon magic or summon guns.

-Everybody gets OP stuff.

-Wait for admins to be done banning the idiots who thought they can murderbone (That's never)

-"; Hey guise if you see somebody in funny clothing you should probably keep an eye on him"

-Wizard teleports in.

- http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/Wiz.wav

to qoute myself from ... wow. exactly one year ago, in the admin forums.

Wizards & Guns

Postby Crom » Wed May 07, 2014 7:07 pm

The mass gun/magic spells i want to argue are not compatible for the server, and should be removed.

I suspect that they were designed in mind of a more chaotic result, where crew would be busy zapping eachother while the wizard comes amidst of it all to complete his objective through the distraction. On our server it typically plays out where security freaks out, upgrades their hostility, everyone turns in/hides their summoned items, where anyone using them typically ends up on the admin chopping block. This does not benefit the wizard in any way practically, especially at its cost. Does not benefit the crew, except IN DEFENSE OF THE WIZARD. It aids security as it lets them know that there's a wizard up to no good at that exact time. All this spell is good for, is giving the admins more work, and for wizards who are masochistic.

I once shot a wizard with a staff of transformation, turning him into a chicken. I then took him to the chef, who cooked him for me.

10/10.

A shame most people aren't like you, and instead of using the staff of transformation on the wizard, they shoot it randomly at everything, and when you PM them they say "I DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT DOES. I DIDNT KILL THEM".

And yes this happens. Too damn much.

A shame most people aren't like you, and instead of using the staff of transformation on the wizard, they shoot it randomly at everything, and when you PM them they say "I DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT DOES. I DIDNT KILL THEM".

And yes this happens. Too damn much.

After the changes I made a while ago while porting /tg/ wizard stuff and fixing our wizard bugs, Summon Magic will at most summon one staff, which may or may not be the staff of transformation. That said, it may be worth porting over how they handle the mass summon spells, where they give you an extra spell slot, but do not turn a % of the crew into traitors with an objective to survive.

Also, I was expecting jokes in the fake newspaper, found Lorem Ipsum instead. :(

The crew not being able to kill each other when they literally get the prompt to "survive at all costs" and that there's "others like you under the same mindset" and not expecting them to kill each other is naive, no offense (and is entirely the point of the spell).

If the summoning spell doesn't allow the crew to use them---there's really no point; the wizard is just making it intentionally hard for himself for no reward/reason.

That's why at tg it gives you an extra spell slot, and it's a 1 cast per summon spell.

So I could summon magic, guns, and events, and it then becomes insanely difficult for me to succeed. However, I get 3 extra spell slots in exchange for cranking the difficulty up from 100% to 400%.

High risk, high reward. It's incredibly fun at tg.

Mass summon guns is a problem with the validhunt mindset that many of our players have. While I'm not sure that making it into a "mass make traitor" spell would be a good idea, giving a tonne of guns to the station will be the downfall of any wizard.

Keep the gun spell, but wizards should know better than to waltz onto the station after they armed the crew with heavy weaponry. If anything, it'll teach them precisely why not to use the spell. (And any sane wizard will just not use the spell.)

We're not tg. What's fun there may not necessarily be fun here.

That's why at tg it gives you an extra spell slot, and it's a 1 cast per summon spell.

So I could summon magic, guns, and events, and it then becomes insanely difficult for me to succeed. However, I get 3 extra spell slots in exchange for cranking the difficulty up from 100% to 400%.

But it would not cause random crewmembers to become "survivors" with an excuse to murderbone? I.... I actually like that option, it makes it easier for both admins and players. If the crew ONLY gets guns, without becoming traitors, then they can focus on the real enemy, who gets also rewarded for it.

It's better than what we have currently anyways.

I would rather remove it. Even if it is now making it clear that it is masochistic, the player will always choose it every time. It does not address the grief we have to deal with wholly, nor does it prevent these pathetically short lived rounds. The only thing that brings confidence in the idea to me is the reassurance that the players enjoy it. Which I might lean too it if that is indeed the case. Because that is technically the higher priority I assume.

I don't really care much about wizards, so whatever- but I have to say, is it really an argument to ask for it being removed because it encourages murderbone-ing? I mean, literally just look at anything related to revolution, it's worse than summon guns/magic. Wizard is rare enough that most players don't want to waste their own chance to murder everyone by using a one-use spell to fuck with the crew. In my experience, wizards prefer to have fun with their fancy spells and consider getting greentext as a cherry on top.

Perhaps a "solution" to the "problem" is just making it alert every admin online and require all of their approval before it does what it does.

• 1 month later...

were removing rev's? :'(

Nothing decisive yet. There's talk of replacing rev with Shadowling, but not much more than that.

No, replace changeling with shadowling, and replace Rev with the new Gang gamemode at TG. Gang at TG is so much better than rev in every way, and it's got actual coherent structure to it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use