Seeking Suggestions - PDA's

Jack Fractal

A singularity telescreen viewing thing would be nice.

The electrical map overlay will have a 'THE SINGULARITY IS ACTIVE' message, as well as info about the field-strength and the emitters.

I'll consider giving them actual cam-access to the singularity. Not sure about that one.

I wouldn't mind seeing a chatroom for PDAs, or possibly an anonymous 4chan style imageboard (IC, of course)

I can probably pull off chat-rooms, I don't think I want to program a full chan inside of SS13. That seems a bit much. Also the host would murder me from the bandwidth usage.

The electrical map overlay will have a 'THE SINGULARITY IS ACTIVE' message, as well as info about the field-strength and the emitters.

I'll consider giving them actual cam-access to the singularity. Not sure about that one.

I wouldn't mind seeing a chatroom for PDAs, or possibly an anonymous 4chan style imageboard (IC, of course)

I can probably pull off chat-rooms, I don't think I want to program a full chan inside of SS13. That seems a bit much. Also the host would murder me from the bandwidth usage.

No, make sure to use as much bandwith as possible, link it directly to the forums, TS RP room, and so on. Who knows how much you can eat Mel's memory?

A station map would be REALLY nice. Something akin to what the crew monitor is, but just for yourself. CMO and Paramedics getting a portable crew monitor on their PDA would be kinda neat too, maybe the Captain too.

Being able to send messages in a specific language would be nice to. So, the AI and Borgs would understand all languages, but traitors sending messages in Gutterband would be illegible to anyone who doesn't speak it.

PDA SecPointer, Sec officers could set up their PDA to function like a pinpointer to a specific ID. The ID MUST be in sight of a camera to work (on the ground, in someone hand, in a PDA or on someone's uniform.) Just another reason to cut cameras as an antag or chucklefuck. The default setting could point to the nearest 'Wanted' person.

A Coms card that would function like a radio. Tuned to a specific frequency, it could transmit voice signals as though through proximity (anyone in 7 tiles would see black text, not green/channel color) Drop it in a locker or some obscure area to lure an unsuspecting victim into a trap. (Poison Grenade triggered by a prox sensor anyone?)

A scanner function that could tell you all the (legal) uses of an item or machine, could be useful for new players. ('This is a glass, poor liquids into drink them.' 'This is a fuel tank, attach an unlit welder to refuel it. Keep away from active heat sources.')

An Intercept ROM card for Traitors (or Illegal Tech Research) that would intercept most/all PDA messages and forward them to you (unable to reply, random chance of scrambling the recipient and/or sender)

Those are some good ideas Davidchan. Right now I'm thinking the main functions are going to be messages, map, records, and scanning.

The scanner for the 'standard uses' is a cool idea, but it sounds like an enormous amount of work. We have a -lot- of items in SS13. Writing a scanner description for even a large fraction of them would be a huge amount of work.

I can totally see that, I'd imagine we'd have to phase items in according to departments or common areas. Would have to be careful to make sure Syndicate stealth items reflected their counterpart, so we don't have chucklefuck sec having their 'AHA!' moment when a voice changer or sleepy pen doesn't register. I guess the easiest way to go about it would be to make a subforum and have people submit items and suggestions, if possible have a database or list of all the items in a department/area we could go over.

Being able to determine if an emitter / collector is off would be highly useful.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use