Why do we need to have this non rp rev in rotation?

SpaceTimeNow

We did an RP round on Paradise....once.

It was 10x worse than regular rev....revs got uplinks...and access to syndicate gear....it was awful--the revs won in about 15 minutes.

In any event, yes, we could remove that, but this is just going to lead to a whole lot of frustration on the revs part--ie: people refusing conversion, etc.

Rev always has been and always will be TDM.

I really don't get this. I've played a few rev rounds and always had RP involved.

Hell, I almost got banned my first rev round because the admins on at the time thought I was about to start ERP when I "seduced" a security officer so as to get her to take off her glasses so I could convert her.

Is RP during rev rounds really that hard to do, or that uncommon? Shine your banhammer boss, let's start making RP mandatory! Hoooyaaaaaah!

I don't find the flashing in rev forces my RP anymore than say...a bullet to the head from nuke ops.

As long as I accept that it's a special brainwashing flash thingie, it works for my headcanon at least. IMO it'd be cooler if it was a different object.

I've even seen some great RP moments of peoples conflicted loyalty to their former friends who they now have to kill (or exile!).

I've had some great rounds that were quite stealthy and not a TDM that it often ends in.

I've also seen plenty of rev rounds devolve into horrid, horrid chaos. To the extent that when I logged in and saw 100 players and rev mode, I just noped out until next round.

I don't know, in almost every round that i am involved into rev, someone just came up to me when i interact with some vending machine pulls out a flash, flashes me and walks by. Not a single word was exchanged that day.

For me it's just a TDM mode, nothing more. And just to clarify, i am not argueing that rp rev would work better on paradise, maybe the Subject text was poorly choosen. I am just asking how everyone else feels about that gamemode, for me it's more of an annoyance.

In cult rounds i think the RP part works a lot better, maybe rev could be tuned to require a little more RP or work to convert someone. Maybe give the flash some charge up time so someone needs to hold you down, while someone else converts you or something along those lines. This minor change would require people to group up and work together or maybe talk to the person first so he don't resists.

I personally hate them both, especially when I am trying to do or test something and (lolflash).

I can totally relate to that.

You gear up and prepare your workplace, creating a plan what you want to do this shift and it's all crushed in an blink of an eye. As a replacement you just unwillingly entered some deathmatch. I play rarely antag and usually need to be in the mood for it, that's why my default antag gamesettings only inculde the few ones i really enjoy playing. Beeing forced into Antag is a bummer, beeing forced into antag without any RP or Teamwork (or however you want to call it) usually ends me up in the cryo sleeper.

How about making this revolution convert message somewhat less strict, so it allows for more leeway. Maybe i am forced to believe the Revolution is right and am not allowed to act against it, but not just "YOU HAVE TO KILL ALL HEADS NOW!". So i could just go about my work and maybe help a rev out here and there, but not have to go on a killing spree if i don't want to.

The same way others do not like to be forced into RP, i don't like to be forced into deathmatch.

I love this gametype, especially when I am in command. It's an extraordinary challenge, explosive chaos 'n shit. The feeling when you find out that half of the crew is seeking to kill you AND you are in Medbay because one of your heads died... is priceless.

I like the variety, same with quick Blob rounds.

I personally hate them both, especially when I am trying to do or test something and (lolflash).

I can totally relate to that.

You gear up and prepare your workplace, creating a plan what you want to do this shift and it's all crushed in an blink of an eye. As a replacement you just unwillingly entered some deathmatch. I play rarely antag and usually need to be in the mood for it, that's why my default antag gamesettings only inculde the few ones i really enjoy playing. Beeing forced into Antag is a bummer, beeing forced into antag without any RP or Teamwork (or however you want to call it) usually ends me up in the cryo sleeper.

How about making this revolution convert message somewhat less strict, so it allows for more leeway. Maybe i am forced to believe the Revolution is right and am not allowed to act against it, but not just "YOU HAVE TO KILL ALL HEADS NOW!". So i could just go about my work and maybe help a rev out here and there, but not have to go on a killing spree if i don't want to.

The same way others do not like to be forced into RP, i don't like to be forced into deathmatch.

Uh, nobody ever forces you to just go LOL EVERYONE DIES, infact thats often a very bad idea,"sleeper" revs are extremely useful. If a rev head tells you to stab someone, you stab them though. Don't ruin other peoples rounds just because you hate the roundtype.

Uh, nobody ever forces you to just go LOL EVERYONE DIES, infact thats often a very bad idea,"sleeper" revs are extremely useful. If a rev head tells you to stab someone, you stab them though. Don't ruin other peoples rounds just because you hate the roundtype.

This.

It's no different being converted in rev from being mindslaved in traitor.

One minute, you're a loyal NT crew member, the next you're not. It happens.

I honestly don't understand why there is such an issue with being flash revved, it's part of the game. This isn't a OMGSOSERIOUS game we're playing here, shit is in space, and it's crazy, and holy shit Space Carp! Lulz!

The only person who decides how you interpret becoming a revolutionary is you. Justify it if you must, but at the end of the day you became an antag without roleplay, just like starting the round as a traitor or changeling or vamp. Roleplay comes afterwards.

RP rev gives you the ability to just deny beeing rev, the flash does not. I don't think that's the same.

You're right, and you know what RP-Rev ends up being?

They parapen/ebow you and take you off into some corner in cablecuffs. "Join or die", and if you say no, they kill you. It's hardly "good" RP by any stretch and once converts reach ~15-20% of the crew a tipping point is hit becuase the uplinks completely and totally overpower anything the heads and sec could possibly throw at the revs.

I'm not saying we should devolve into utter chaos.

I'm saying that the game, by it's very nature is not a serious endeavor.

Forcing unreasonable expectations of realism will turn us into Hypatia. Good for some, horrifyingly unfun for most.

I don't think we want extended rounds forever.

That being said, I also don't think we want utter madness every single round.

I'm simply suggesting that some shit in SS13 doesn't make perfect sense, and can't.

I'm likewise suggesting that this particular gripe is no different than many other aspects of the game that lack proper RP justification.

For instance:

Being mindslaved has no required RP involved. Just implant, then BAM you're a traitor slave.

Being changeling is the same, you simply start out as a gene-sucking death monster with no RP justification.

Vampire? No preceding RP. Just happened.

Spawned as a traitor? You'll notice a lack of justified RP before round start.

Start as the blob? Wheres your RP?

Implanted by Xenos? Huh... suspicious lack of necessary RP there too.

Wizard? No RP.

Mutineer? Funny, I don't recall hating NT last round...

What I'm saying is that the argument that being flash-revved is immersion breaking or somehow negatively impacts a round based on the lack of RP alone is folly, it's a theme present in nearly every antagonist role in the game. If you want roleplay you have to make it, and in an environment like Paradise that runs roleplay light, you have no reasonable cause to expect RP from other players. What is being suggested here is removing a round because some players don't roleplay as much as others would like, and those who do roleplay but take issue with the round type have yet to learn to make the best of it and accept that sometimes things aren't going to mesh with your expectations.

We'll never be perfect here. If you want RP rev, there are PLENTY of other servers that have that exact style of play. Just don't try to force yours onto Para's.

We did an RP round on Paradise....once.

It was 10x worse than regular rev....revs got uplinks...and access to syndicate gear....it was awful--the revs won in about 15 minutes.

In any event, yes, we could remove that, but this is just going to lead to a whole lot of frustration on the revs part--ie: people refusing conversion, etc.

Rev always has been and always will be TDM.

This is not true actually, we had plenty of RP rev rounds after I FINNALY convinced ponies to get rid of the dumb uplink.

They went about the same way, honestly.

"Hey do you want to betray nanotrans for no reason other then me asking?"

"Sure!"

You are now part of the revolution!

I wish I was kidding when I say that's how a majority of the rounds went. And RP rev was even worse, atleast in Rev you just look for the guys with Flashes, in RP you had no idea outside of asking a rev who converted you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use