Revert several sprite changes.

Fj45

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/9

This change swapped around a couple of sprites, "new" ones came from TG.

And they mostly don't look very good. Main problem I have is the laser and flashlight.

The new flashlight is unneeded and broken. The sprite itself is really messed up, seems like someone who didn't know how to sprite made it. Its too long so it doesn't really fit in pockets too well and it has a little on/off light. ON A FLASHLIGHT. Fix the messed up sprite, remove the on/off switch, get the old, smaller one back and add the larger one to emergency toolboxes or something.

AI turret control looks fine.

The recorder is alright but it didn't really need a change. Readd the old recorder, change the current fancy one to a fluff item/IAA and magistrate item.

Mining lantern looks pretty nice, should be a little fatter but its a huge improvement.

Laser, E-gun and ION gun sprites were all changed. ION rifle isn't too bad, could use more colour like the old one.

The laser is really bad, its just ugly. E-gun seems a little large and the old sprite was just nicer. Atleast change the laser.

Laser.png

Energy_Gun.png

Ion_Rifle.png

Those are all the "old" sprites, these are the "new" sprites:

Laser_gun.png

Energy_Gun.gif

Couldn't find a sprite of the ION gun at all for some reason.

Also, the new seclights are a great addition but they use the upper, older sprite not the new one Nien just made:

036ed0f17f.dmi

Firstly, this is the laser gun icon we were using:

YrM9dpz.png

Secondly, it's a matter of personal opinion, but I think the energy gun icon we're using right now is far better than the one we were using previously.

Thirdly, the only issue I see with the seclights is the in-hand icon, which will be fixed within the next patch.

The code base should be unique, not what we can port from fifty other servers, in my opinion. Porting a bunch of shit from /tg/ isn't very unique.

Thirdly, the only issue I see with the seclights is the in-hand icon, which will be fixed within the next patch.

I request you switch it. I know I'm only the spriter who made both the sprites, but that's just my opinion.

The code base should be unique, not what we can port from fifty other servers, in my opinion. Porting a bunch of shit from /tg/ isn't very unique.

Ponies has done more porting from other open source code bases than anything else since the very beginning of the server. I'm not claiming it's a bad thing -- But we've never been 'Unique', as you define it.

Firstly, this is the laser gun icon we were using:

YrM9dpz.png

Secondly, it's a matter of personal opinion, but I think the energy gun icon we're using right now is far better than the one we were using previously.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. Again, that was a bad change, that sprite is far too busy and has weird shading.

I'll second this; Paradise has very very little truly unique content; it might be a bit dressed up (slimes and Kidan), but it's ultimately still picked from other codebases or already in the codebase but changed around a little. Paradise's "uniqueness" has always come precisely FROM copying and implementing features from other codebases--we've always been "Bay+TG+a little Goon" from day 1.

The seclites have been updated and they should now have an in-hand sprite.

The other sprites will be staying, however.

So far as I've seen here, Paradise sprites change when a better sprite is made available and somebody is motivated to make the change. In short, if you don't like some sprites, either create new ones or hope somebody else does and make them awesome enough to merit the change. I can't say I've seen them change for any other reason to my knowledge.

So far as I've seen here, Paradise sprites change when a better sprite is made available and somebody is motivated to make the change. In short, if you don't like some sprites, either create new ones or hope somebody else does and make them awesome enough to merit the change. I can't say I've seen them change for any other reason to my knowledge.

He meant they replaced our sprites with older ones. He thinks they are worse then what we had.

Sure, several reasons

-consistency: all codebases use the same energy gun sprite--while there's nothing wrong with being unique, communicating what what item is is important

-the previous energy gun sprites do not match the in-hand icons

-new sprite for e-guns, in particular, has additional communication of when ammo is empty/low

- subjective, I feel they're better. The same feelings you're expressing, right now, is how a number of players felt when we initially got the sprites.

-the current sprites have a bit more detail to them

Alright, I can agree with 2 and 3, but please, atleast fix the flashlight sprite, there is something seriously wrong with it.

And I highly disagree with 1, if that's the reason you are changing so many sprites lately, I feel that is very poor reasoning. Items do have names and all of them are still very clear of what they are, I really do not see how they could cause issues. Sometimes sprites are simply better and we should not use them simply because other servers are.

I think we need to communicate more with the community before changing things/ adding new things. We need to see if the community (The ones playing the game.) actually want the change. It's a problem that happened on /tg/station, and still happens.

We'd have less of these threads if we just communicated.

And yes Kei, that is something I want to address, there should be SOME discussion of these things.

Uh, thats kind of the point of my post, that most of these sprites AREN'T better.

That is a pretty subjective opinion. People said the exact same thing when we changed from the to the 'old' energy weapon icons months ago.

Can you seriously say that the flashlight sprite doesn't have something wrong with it? It isn't just if the sprite look nicer or not, there is something *broken* about the sprite!

I think we need to communicate more with the community before changing things/ adding new things. We need to see if the community (The ones playing the game.) actually want the change. It's a problem that happened on /tg/station, and still happens.

We'd have less of these threads if we just communicated.

I agree. A lot of changes have been happening lately, all decided behind closed doors. Much to the chagrin of the community.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use