In need of a mentor/partner to play with

PrescottS

Hey everyone. Im used to be play on a different station long time ago. Dont want to say which one to not advertise it and ive been trying to get back into it. Feels like ive understood the basics in all departments within the medical department and have set myself on a mission to understand all aspects of this lovely station of ours.

To not pester mentors all the time and to get a better understanding ive now decided to turn to the almight forum in case anyone ever want to chat and play.

Are you a mining expert? Ill do a round of mining with you.
DO you build robots like no other? Then Ill do roboticist with you.

If you want someone to spend a round with you. Then teach me all there is to know in your best field. Discord VC preferred. thank you.

Discord @skalmansj

Just a mention to avoid metagaming(Discussing IC things OOC). I would suggest speaking to an admin or higher about this to prevent anything bad happening.

Then why have voice channels in Discord? I have no intent or will to metagame. Surely it cant be against the rules to be in vc while playing

24 minutes ago, PrescottS said:

Then why have voice channels in Discord? I have no intent or will to metagame. Surely it cant be against the rules to be in vc while playing

I am not an admin in any capacity and can not give you an official answer, but that would still be metagaming. The voice channels are for the players to speak with each other. I would genuinely suggest contacting a staff member though.

Using voice chat to communicate with another player during the round counts as metagaming, if you are using it to get information your character is not supposed to get. You can use our server discord help channel to chat with a mentor that wishes to help who can explain to you differnet aspects of the game and such, however it will not be used to simply play together. You can of course chat with different player or mentor or anyone else in discord voice, as long as you are not sharing IC intel.

• Like 1

Since nobody's quoted it yet, this is specifically addressed in the advanced rules:

In regards to metagaming via OOC communication, this may very well include helping a friend learn the game. We prefer IC methods if possible, otherwise LOOC is better. Admins may grant permission to use third-party methods for a single round to help a new player, but this must be ahelped in advanced and permission granted.

The Mentor team has explicitly been allowed to use the Help channel for this purpose, but anyone else may be able to as well if you ahelp and get permision.

On 3/1/2024 at 7:16 AM, McRamon said:

Using voice chat to communicate with another player during the round counts as metagaming, if you are using it to get information your character is not supposed to get. You can use our server discord help channel to chat with a mentor that wishes to help who can explain to you differnet aspects of the game and such, however it will not be used to simply play together. You can of course chat with different player or mentor or anyone else in discord voice, as long as you are not sharing IC intel.

So if im chatting with someone and they are guiding me on lets say. Build a borg as a roboticist. Does that count as IC intel? 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:57 AM, PrescottS said:

So if im chatting with someone and they are guiding me on lets say. Build a borg as a roboticist. Does that count as IC intel? 

Not quite. Guiding on game mechanics is one thing, and Paradise has allowed many people use voice chat and other methods to do just that over the years. However, let's say that in the midst of building said droid, an antagonist runs in and abducts you into maintenance--you and the other party would not be permitted to share details of that incident with each other. IE where they took you, their name, what they're doing, etc.. Those are all in character events presently happening in round, and sharing those details/ acting on OOC information ruins the round for everyone around you. 

If you plan to have someone guide you through basic mechanics ingame through OOC means (voice or text chats on discord or other out of game communication services), you need to press f1 and file an adminhelp to get permission from currently online admins to proceed. 

That said, if you already have the basic grasp of the easiest game mechanics (walking, talking, interacting with objects and the inventory HUD, the intent system, etc.) I might suggest doing as most other players do and use more common resources to learn, as using OOC voice chats can still be a bit of a dangerous slope that I'd recommend avoiding. Either asking ICly for assistance, pressing F1 and filing a mentor help, or looking through the wiki can often be enough for a wide variety of tasks. Your question of constructing an android is very well covered on the wiki, for example.

This isn't to say that there aren't daunting game mechanics a newer player will be worried about interacting with; the supermatter engine would definitely have something to say about that. But even in those cases, there are either alternatives (setting up the solar arrays, for example) or other nearby players who will gladly walk you through the process in-game when asked. Part of the game's charm to many is the learning curve, and even veterans of the game learn new things about it nearly every day due to new features being put in at a semi regular rate. 

• clown 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:57 PM, PrescottS said:

Hey there. To clarify some stuff. You are well within your rights to get some one to help you ooc to figure out the server. Just need to make sure the currently online server admins are aware. We have allowed this type of thing quite a few times before and I see no reason why we wouldn't in this case. While we would prefer you mhelp questions we completely understand that sometimes that may not work for every one.

Edited by Esenno
Grammatical fix mostly.
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use