Increase ashwalker den spawnrate

falconignite

I ran some simulations... the current probability is 28%. Could we get 50-60%?

This line in the ashwalker ruins datum would do the trick.

var/placement_weight = 3

Edited by falconignite

Aren't all mob spawners on 100% on live server?

2 hours ago, Meow19 said:

Aren't all mob spawners on 100% on live server?

Yeah, ashwalkers were consciously not made a guaranteed spawn

If ashie odds were increased they’d probably need a bit of a rework. Otherwise you’ll constantly get cases of roundstart ashies wiping and round removing mining, which then consequently screws over the rest of the station needing mats. 

Full disclosure I’ve been wiped by roundstart ashies and I kinda hatem. At the same time they’re also one of the most interesting things on lavaland and fun to play. 

Yeah, cuz putting them behind a probability isn't going to solve that, and the people who gamble on getting roundstart ashwalker end up getting round removed themselves when the ashies don't spawn.

Posted (edited)

What if the ashwalker den always spawns, but the eggs don't spawn until 10min into the round, and miners can't open the door to destroy the tendril until it's been opened at least once by an ashwalker.

Another idea is to make an option for them in antagonists, so that when the nest does spawn, you can get rolled to roundstart as one. (Would still like to have increased probability for this case though)

Edited by falconignite

I think the primary issue is they are a powerful threat that is currently designed to perma kill a very crucial role for the round that already has a high mortality rate as is. If combat with ashies didn’t basically guarantee getting sacrificed at their tendril for a perma kill, it would make sense to increase their spawn rate, if not guarantee it. 

I think 60% is okay but setting it at 50% would definitely be right I think. I do agree you’d be running the risk of a miner-wipeout more frequently, but I agree that the timer on their spawn would definitely help. Not sure what the magic number would be, maybe 15 minutes would be better?

If nothing else, yeah I’d love to not have to play round-start roulette when looking to play ashwalkers.

It’s a really weird balance they have that if they spawn roundstart and get observer players then they stand a chance at wiping out the miners. At the same time, if they only start spawning about mid-round when there’s some perma-dead folks, usually the miners are so well equipped/fauna is depleted that they stand almost no chance against them. It’s rarely this tribal vs. invaders rivalry that I think the role strives for.

edit: Wanting to clarify the miner wipe bit. I’m not insinuating that wiping the mining team is the goal. Just saying that it can happen which isn’t great. Just like the miners destroying the ashwalkers before/right as they spawn isn’t great.

Edited by DIBDOG
Clarification

9 hours ago, TheBadPerson said:

I think the primary issue is they are a powerful threat that is currently designed to perma kill a very crucial role for the round that already has a high mortality rate as is. If combat with ashies didn’t basically guarantee getting sacrificed at their tendril for a perma kill, it would make sense to increase their spawn rate, if not guarantee it. 

They aren't very powerful unless they have numbers, which rarely happens

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use