suggestions on ho to improve the karma system

moby space

I've received some feed back, and I think now I have a better idea. Perhaps there could be a leader board system of sorts. Such as, security officer so and so made the most arrests or this scientist made the most research. My earlier suggestion was to automate it, which on reflection, doesn't seem like the best choice. I'm changing it now because I think a better option would be create a leader board of sorts, like I've said, so at the end after the round is over, then a card would come up (somewhat like the current leader board card) and say "here are some people that may deserve your karma. I feel that this is a good option because I've heard a lot of people saying that they don't really know what to do with their karma, and this would give them a multitude of people to potentially give karma to. I rewrote this because I would like to get opinions on these Ideas, and so that I might find a good way to change the karma system. 

-DISCLAIMER: I did not write this because I think that it will get me more karma, I wrote this because I think that some of these ideas could genuinely improve the karma system, even though the likely hood of this getting implemented is rather low

moby space.

Edited by moby space
to present a new option to talk about.

I appreciate the advice, but I see the karma system as a way to reward dedicated characters, and if you do things in extra effort manner, and none of the server sees it, then i still think you deserve karma, for being a unsung hero, of sorts

Karma isn't something we can program a computer to handle. If there are actions you can take to get karma then powergamers will find a way to optimize it, leading to the exact type of behavior we're trying to avoid, and reducing the benefit of the type of behavior we're trying to reward.

Karma is not a perfect system, but it's not one we can improve via automation. 

• Like 1

Yeah. I'm not sure if its good to automate any part of Karma.

That said though some rounds nobody stands out in particular and I wish I could donate to a certain accomplishment. Like donate to the miner that brought in the most minerals, or to the scientist that actually got the research done and upgraded medbay. Or even just a random security officer. Sadly the 60 seconds at the end of the round is rarely enough time to figure out who to give that karma to and it always feels a little odd being so distracted on the shuttle ride when its often the most chaotic 2 minutes of the round.

• Like 1

I can definitely see where both of you are coming from, perhaps you could add a leader broad, so if there wasn't someone that stood out,  then you could see that this person did did the most of this in their department, like which security guard made the most arrests or scientist did the most research, some thing along those lines might help people the didn't particularly stand out earn some karma that they deserve. 

Issue with that is it'd be really difficult to set up fairly and could be once again abused. For example a security officer making bad arrests to get to the top of the board. Other than researchers and miners I don't see a particular way to quantify most jobs and if you can't quantify all of them it seems unfair to do so. I'm not saying my idea is feasible or something I'd like to see. Its just a Pipe dream I sometimes wish I had access to.

• Like 1

All of my karma has seemingly come from RP.  Really good botonist? Fridge fully stocked? Everything the chef desires? Drugs for free?  No karma.  Jump the library desk as the mime (because there is no librarian) to give the chaplain extra bibles: Karma.  All in all, I think the Karma system should be mandatory.  You either have to spend it on another player, or you have to spend it on no player.  Either way, you'd have to spend the karma.  I think there are quite a few people that disregard the existence of the karma system.

From my experience, Karma isn't actually supposed to work as the definition of the word, but rather a reward to people who do their best to make a round come to life. Whether that be from with RP, funny shenanigans, or being a real threat of an antag who everyone rallies to defeat. Think of karma not as a rule set in stone, but a "good job" or "kudos" from other players. The reason why you can redeem these for jobs and races is because those races/jobs require a higher level of dedication and RP to play than just someone jumping into the server looking for a good time. Sure, the system might not be great, but any affection of how it works already I feel won't quite work for what it's made for.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use