Unknown admins, massive shittery

Splgrk

Admin names: Blessedtuna, Rb303 and Normalyman were online, probably them.

my ckey: Splgrk

My ingame name: SINA-, Warden

Date of incident: 16.09.2018, aroudn midnight GMT. (Time of this post)

Complaint : abuse of power, misconduct, general murderboning.

So, three people calling themselves NT officers aarrived on station with no announcement. AT this point, we were suspicious. Then, the AI called in saying that one of those officers had tried to kill it. We searched them, everything seemed fine, but we were suspicious. At this point, the Captain faxed NT and got a fax back saying "These are not NT officers".

That was enough then. We armed up, I walked up to them. A few taser rounds were exchanged. At which point the NT officers startted pulling pulse rifles and dual-eswords and indiscriminantly murdering crew. Well over a dozen dead including most of sec, no explanation. At that point, we pretty much considered it confirmed that those were nukies or something, using stealth tactics.

THEN they started sending in statements over the announcement system that they were real NT.

Edited by Splgrk
  • Thanks 2

I would like to second this complaint as someone who witnessed it as a ghost. I would have put a complaint in myself but as it's already filed, I'll just add on here.

If the goal of this event was simply to have some inspectors, then it would have been easy for CC to send confirmation that the officers were indeed legitimate. This was not done. So there are two possibilites here:

1: The intention was to create doubt as to if the inspectors were legitimate or not. 

If this is the case, then the station concluding they were impostors and trying to arrest them should have been anticipated.  And if it was, I find it hard to believe that the admins thought it would be fun for security and the crew to consequently be gunned down by admins who are nearly invincible due to having admin gear. This certainly comes out looking like admins decking themselves out in admin gear and picking a fight with the crew.

2: The intention was not to create doubt as to if the inspectors were legitimate or not. 

If this is the case, then why was an announcement from CC stating the legitimacy of the inspectors not made? Why was there not only no official fax sent, but not even a reply to the faxes from the station inquiring about the inspectors?  The admins are certainly aware that fake inspectors is a common ploy and it was fairly predictable that the station would respond with paranoia. The outcome was one that should have been easily anticipated, and action should have been taken to prevent it if it was not the desired outcome.

Whatever the case and whatever the intentions of the admins, the crew was given false information that the officers were impostors and moved to arrest them until their authenticity could be confirmed. The actions of the crew were reasonable. The actions of the Navy officers were not. 

It's difficult to believe the Navy Officers felt legitimately threatened by the crew or security. They had admin weapons and gear more than capable of subduing all of security and anyone else who attempted to stop them. But, even if they did legitimately feel security could have subdued them, the worst case scenario is they are arrested, held until their identity is confirmed, and then released. Sure, it would have been annoying and inconvenient but not something you gun down your own men and bystanders to avoid. Lethal force was completely unwarranted in this situation, and using it more or less confirmed in the crew's mind that these were impostors.  I know if I saw someone running down the halls with a dual-e-sword murdering security I'm certainly going to think they're a syndicate agent, not an NT Navy Officer.

But, whatever the whys and hows, what happened here is that admins outfitted themselves in admin gear and then engaged in an impromptu deathmatch with the crew.  This is something that really should never have happened, for any reason. I'm very disappointed that it did happen and I hope something can be done to ensure it doesn't happen again.

• Like 1

Since I am part of this complaint I'll give you my side of this whole thing to get it processed quicker.

Yes it wasn't announced since it should be a suprise inspection and nothing more. That you got suspicious is completly fine and justified.
I was playing a Navy Officer Xarx Kirax and spend my entire time talking with the captain and IAA, regarding the current situation of the station and the HoP.
Meanwhile the other two special operation officers inspected the station and somehow @Blessed got the AI convined that he is trying to kill her. As far as I know the only thing he did was reflecting it's shots with his shield and therefore I'm not sure why the AI came to this conclusion.

Eventually a fax was sent to CC inquiring about if the CC officers are real or not. Orignally I wanted to reply as a Navy Admiral to clear this all up, which I was already trying ICly but someone was faster and faked the fax. While the fax didn't had the correct sign and stamp the BS believed him and told the captain that we are fake officers, which lead him to detain me and hold me captive in the conference room. 

I then told the two special operation officers to come to the wanting to de-escalate the situation by talking, as I've already been doing so far but to my suprise they used lethals to get me out and back to the shuttle.

I personally never attacked anyone during the entire round but I am guilty of killing about 5 people infront of the bridge due to a really dumb misstake. At the end of the round I wiped out the AI satelite, since both me and the AI agreed on it being a good end but forgot to turn that power off. Well and that lead to me killing those people infront of the bridge.

For that I'm terribly sorry, cause it was an honest misstake of me forgetting to toggle the power off.

Edited by Normalyman

Hi there,

I've talked now to everyone involved, and I'm quite convinced this wasn't done with any intention to slaughter random crew for the lolz. 

The attempt to confirm them as real CC agents was messed up by someone else sending a fax saying they're not - as confirmed by Normalyman there.The AI also for some reason believed they were attempting to kill the AI by "turning off the SMES" which not only wouldn't work, but is incredibly ineffective - especially compared to the obvious choice of the CC issued weapons. It doesn't appear that any admins touched the SMES, just stood by it.

Being accused of trying to kill the AI and having a fax saying they're not-legit were not anticipated. There wasn't any attempt here to pick a fight that I can see in any chat logs, or set out to murder the crew indiscriminately. The combination of both the AI and the Fax saying they aren't legit escalated things heavily here.

The BSA, as Normaly said, was due to a dumb mistake with build mode and leaving it turned on. Luckily, near the end of the round.

While I'm convinced that this wasn't done with any intent to slaughter and murderbone, I'm not entirely happy with how things were handled. The best option would have been to allow the arrest and surrender, and/or quickly follow it up with additional faxes and announcements clarifying things. Dust-implants are also usable to stop any of the fancy gear getting into player hands - although that in itself wouldn't matter too much as there are no antags that round to be slaughtered by sec with CC gear, etc.

This is however hard to do in the heat of the moment, especially when you don't have all the info (other fax) and have most of security attacking you. Much like typing and combat, admin tools and combat are an either/or. Looking over the logs, the focus was on evaccing with all CC members - I trust the robustness and gear of the admins to be able to have easily slaughtered the station if that was their intent.

I've discussed this with all those involved - and numerous other staff have also discussed it extensively. While we're in general fine with the intent of the event, it was clearly not handled properly once the shit hit the fan. Rb303 and Blessedtuna have both offered their apologies for how it turned out, and have had an extended (couple hours) discussion with more experienced staff in how to handle these things in future. 

As I said, I'm convinced this wasn't "indiscriminately murdering crew" nor was there any intent for it to end up in a firefight. I do not think a fake fax and the AI claiming attempted murder should be easily anticipated, although preparing to establish they are legit could have happened a lot faster - again, hard to do when there's information you don't have and people actively trying to arrest you at the time. 

We'll be looking at a bit more documentation for how to handle CC characters too, expanding on what we have already - which was mainly to do with avoiding Mary-Sue type stuff and people's regular characters being seen as CC staff, as well as fax protocols etc for how verification should be obtained - possibly an official manner to add to the wiki/sop as well.

• Like 2

Mm. That first post was said a bit more heatedly than it probably should have been, in the heat of the moment. While I don't remember all the details clearly anymore, no it probably wasn't indiscriminate slaughter. So, apologies from my side too, for getting salty. 

No problemo, from how it looked from your side, I can understand why it'd appear that way. It took a fair bit of log diving and talking to the people involved to find out what actually happened - everyone was confused.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use