Oat recipes(With sprites!)

Kryson

One shift when the botany department were busy growing lube melons i decided to help the poor chef out by growing some much needed wheat in the garden.

My attempts at improving the potency of my wheat crop instead resulted in me gazing upon a few stalks of the humble oat; Avena sativa.

To my dismay the chefs employed by Nanotrasen seem to have never seen an oat in their lives and have no idea how to cook even a simple oatmeal porridge!

I suggest adding a few oat based recipes as well as an oatmeal reagent produced by grinding the oats.

Here are the two recipes i had in mind:

Oatmeal porridge 

Suggested recipe:

• 10u Oatmeal
  • 5u Water
  • 1u Salt

Suggested machine: Microwave

Oatmeal balls

This recipe might not be all that familiar to players outside of Scandinavia, but it is a classic oat based pastry around these parts. It's the perfect food item to make when a radiation storm blesses you with the delightful Swedish accent, bork bork!

Here is a snippet from wikipedia:

Oatmeal ball (Danish: Havregrynskugle, Swedish: Chokladboll) is a type of unbaked pastry that is a popular Danish and Swedish confectionery.

The Oatmeal ball is usually slightly smaller than a golf ball and consists of oatmeal, sugar, cocoa,[1] vanilla sugar, butter, and sometimes a small amount of coffee (some like to mix in a splash of cream to make them creamier and softer), which is mixed to a compact mass. Balls are formed and then rolled in nib sugar, shredded coconut,[1] or sprinkles.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havregrynskugle

Suggested recipe:

• 10u Oatmeal
  • 5u Sugar
  • 5u Cocoa 
  • 5u Coffee

Suggested machine: Candy maker

It's also might also be worth considering adding a bag of 30u oatmeal to the flour locker at roundstart so the chef may cook a few bowls of oatmeal porridge for breakfast. The bag could be a simple palette swapped flour bag(like the rice bag currently is), or i could create a new sprite.

Do you have thoughts about my suggestion, critique of my sprites or perhaps another great oat recipes you'd like to suggest? Post below!

Oatmeal Ball.png

Oatmeal Porridge.png

Edited by Kryson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Might aswell make Granola a thing. Granola is amazing. Its baked oatflakes with sugar and honey in it. Ingame it could take Oatmeal, sugar and honey, put it into the oven, done. Also brings me up to cataclysms most favourite very efficient food: Cooked Oatmeal and Deluxe Cooked oatmeal. While normal cooked oatmeal isnt too interesting (Its mostly basicly oatmeal and sugar) the deluxe cooked oatmeal could use sugar and peanuts for once. And its made in the microwave cause why not.

I support deluxe cooked oatmeal, because there are not much recipes using peanuts.

And about Chokladboll - i suppose that it may be worth to remove one component (coffee or cocoa), because it seems a bit complex now.

I like the complexity of the recipe. You could remove the coffee, but the coffee is easy to obtain.

I like the idea of adding granola, more honey based recipies are always welcome, more botanists should be encouraged to take up apiculture. I will start sprinting the granola.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:02 AM, Irkalla said:

Might aswell make Granola a thing. Granola is amazing. Its baked oatflakes with sugar and honey in it. Ingame it could take Oatmeal, sugar and honey, put it into the oven, done. [...]

Here is my first attempt at a granola(bar) sprite. I saw many recipes included berries, i might add some berries to an alternative sprites to make it a bit more visually interesting. Thoughts?

I am not sure how many inhand sprites would have be added, they are so tiny some old sprites could possibly be reused. 

How would i best work towards possibly this getting implemented? Does anyone know a coder that might be willing to help me out or should i just try to learn byond myself?

Granola Bar.png

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 10:26 PM, JovanM said:

Is Oat produced as mutation of wheat? They rarely mutate wheat nowadays.

And here. I always wanted to grow Meatwheat...

...Got the Oat instead in every attempt.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use