IPC's should be able to have more self repair options.

Tykenn

Please read the post before voting.  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Title. If they go into crit and get revived, they should be able to lay-down on a table, open themselves up and repair any internal damage, and reattach any limbs, given they have the proper tools and parts in order to do so. Also as an example. If an IPC is missing their left arm, they can still use their right hand to repair their right arm. So it isn't a case of not being able to reach.

this doesn't make IPC's be able to get up from crit on their own, it just allows them to repair themselves fully after being "revived" by someone else.

Now while this does seem a little OP, hear me out here. These are some things that IPCs deal with currently.

* IPCs take 50% more brute and burn damage than other races, and considering those damage types are the two most common in SS13.

* IPCs instantly die by EMPS.

* IPCs are also more prone to limb amputation than other races, which messes you up fair more than people think. Missing a foot for example, massively hinders your mobility.

Edited by Tykenn

I'm not sure about the whole IPC repairing their own internals, but I totally dig the part about re-attaching limbs... I lose my arm way too often.

2 minutes ago, yurivw said:

I'm not sure about the whole IPC repairing their own internals, but I totally dig the part about re-attaching limbs... I lose my arm way too often.

Personally I don't think it would be game breaking, and self repair on internals could be made a LOT slower than normal repair. I think it's 1/2 seconds for normal repair, it could be 10-20 seconds for self repair on internals. So you couldn't do it on the fly, plus you would need a table before hand.

Thank you for the reply though! I'd love to hear what you think.

I'd agree even though I don't play an IPC at all. I might however play an IPC if this was added, at-least the limb thing. It makes no good sense that an IPC couldn't pop it's own limbs back on provided they have the adequate amount of appendages to do so. So long as a timer was added and a table was needed, I see no reason to disallow repairing internals too.

• Like 1

Currently, a problem with the self repairing on a table is that the IPC needs to lay down, which unless you have nodrop items, makes you drop the items from your hands. Unless there is a way to let them still do that, without them getting a general nodrop and without much snowflaking, this can't really be added.

Fixing massive internal damage seems like it might be a little difficult when you'd have trouble seeing inside your own chest cavity. Besides, if you're to that point your arms are probably messed up anyway.

Popping back hands and legs seems a bit more feasible with how easily they fall off. I've lost hands to a single stray laser and I less clearly remember being decapitated in one shot as well. Ideally you'd need some extra leverage (Such as self buckling to a chair) or something but I think just being able to pop them back in slowly would be fine too. As a plus that is easier to code than the other thing. You'd need to add some code that when you 'attack' something with a robolimb it first tries to attach it, and add a longer timer if its self repair. This would also mean you'd be able to stick limbs on an IPC with them standing which doesn't seem like it'd be a problem really.

9 hours ago, MarsMond said:

Currently, a problem with the self repairing on a table is that the IPC needs to lay down, which unless you have nodrop items, makes you drop the items from your hands. Unless there is a way to let them still do that, without them getting a general nodrop and without much snowflaking, this can't really be added.

It could be treated the same as using the crafting UI, you need X amount of items in order to do the thing you want. So It could be a racial ability like the cable charger. First, you would need to place down a screwdriver, crowbar, cable coils, and a lit welding touch on a table. Then you need to put yourself on the same space as the items or stand next to the table and initiate the racial ability. Where you could go through a lengthy self repair. The down side is that it takes longer than if someone else was repairing you. 

8 hours ago, Pennwick said:

Fixing massive internal damage seems like it might be a little difficult when you'd have trouble seeing inside your own chest cavity. Besides, if you're to that point your arms are probably messed up anyway.

Popping back hands and legs seems a bit more feasible with how easily they fall off. I've lost hands to a single stray laser and I less clearly remember being decapitated in one shot as well. Ideally you'd need some extra leverage (Such as self buckling to a chair) or something but I think just being able to pop them back in slowly would be fine too. As a plus that is easier to code than the other thing. You'd need to add some code that when you 'attack' something with a robolimb it first tries to attach it, and add a longer timer if its self repair. This would also mean you'd be able to stick limbs on an IPC with them standing which doesn't seem like it'd be a problem really.

The general idea, is that if you went into crit, and then someone else brought you back from the dead. To the point to where you're standing, but there is still internal damage. you should be able to repair that. I'm unaware of the exact names of these, I believe it has something to do with a crit threshold?

I'll respond to this like I always respond to these. My second most played toon is an IPC and I think they are fine as is.

We already have enough problems with IPCs refusing to go to robotics to get fixed because most of thier damage can be fixed anywhere either by self healing or with a little assistance from nearly anyone. You want it to be even easier? This is the equivalent of making it so any organic race could heal any type of damage without help from anyone so long as they aren't in crit.

I don't mind dying to EMP (applies to both my IPC and primary human toon with a mechanical heart). I go to robotics to get fixed so they have something to do. My one complaint would be that I think robotics should be more accessible. 

Plenty of perks to being an IPC too ?

• Like 2

I'd be fine with just the self attachment bit. I kind of feel like the internal damage is kinda like a broken bone/internal bleeding analogue that you NEED help to get it fixed. Though in reality that's not 100% true because you can hop in an upgraded recharger to repair that basic internal damage. So its kinda like Borg 'cryo tanks' aren't on station round start but they can fix broken bones.

I'd say IPCs aren't in a hugely disadvantageous position but still lag behind some. Their 'advantages' are pretty double edged or easily replicatable. No need to breath? Wear internals. Not affected by toxic/sleepy chems? Still affected by burning chems and also not affected by good chems. Not affected by bad viruses? Not affected by good ones either and whens the last time a bad virus has been more than an inconvenience. No radiation damage? They kinda get this one, they also can't get powers but those aren't as common. No welding eye damage? They get this one.

So for their kinda already balanced buffs they get an extreme EMP vunerability and 1.5x damage. I think it could use some tweaks somewhere.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use