Mark's guide to crapcurity.

Mark9013100

This is more of a gameplay guide than a roleplay guide, just wanna put that out there.

Security Officers

Now, while this may look like a hard position, it is not, its just extremely easy to fuck up.

Now, before delving into the whole deal of being an officer, here's some stuff for clarification:

*Who you take orders from: Warden > Head Of Security > Captain > Emergency Response Team(Regular or Leader) > Deathsquad(If they're mission isn't to fucking kill everyone.) > Central Command/Nanotrasen Officials

*Remember, the sentences in space law are a guideline.(Don't just jump to the execution chamber if you caught a traitor for emagging something.)

*Your role is to uphold the law, not hunt for antags exclusively

*At-least try to roleplay if you're arresting someone and not just wordlessly stun baton and cuff them.(I admit, I'm guilty of this.)

Gearing up

(This is for Security Officers who spawn in at round start.)

Always get these:

*Black Webbing Vest - Acts like a belt. Has five slots.

*Security Armor - Protects from torso from brute damage.

*Stun Baton(Consider this your life line.) - Stuns the suspect no matter what(Unless adrenaline implant, which is rare. I.e. events, ninja), can be thrown in attempt to stun them as well.

*Taser - A weak ranged stun weapon.

*Pepperspray - A fun version of the flash.

*Flash - Blinds the suspect if they have no protective eyewear, trust me, use this first.

*Security Tape(More or less for the Detective.) - Used for acting like spiderman.

*Belt(Trust me, you'll want one.) - Holds gear like flashbangs, pepperspray, flashes, cuffs, etc.

*Helmet - Protects the head from brute damage.

*HUDSunglasses(You'll need this.) - Protects you from flashes and allows you to see wanted criminals.

*Flashbang(You can get more from Securitech vending machine and the Warden, along with cuffs. Also a very valuable tool.)

On the beat

Now that you're out of the brig, start patrolling or just hunker down in a department.(There are armbands in the briefing room, but those will take your Black Webbing Vest slot.) If you see someone breaking the law, stop them, if it's something very minor(,Insulting an officer/Head Of Staff, throwing objects around, being a nuisance.) just let them off with a warning. If it's something like assault, theft, or threats, go ahead and brig them. Remember, if you're in a situation that might get dangerous, call for backup.

In the brig

When you arrest someone, make sure to check their possessions(Backpacks, belts, labcoats, webbings.) and give them a suitable time for their offense. Setting a timer is simple, just click the screen near a cell and it will lock automatically. Warden, remember that prisoners are under your care, don't let something like a radiation belt or diona nymph kill them in their cells.

Lethal Force

Just to rephrase, the only time you'll ever need to kill someone is in the case that they posses a very dangerous(Firearms, lasers, bombs, energy weapons, fireaxes /should/ fall under this category.) weapon and are seriously injuring a crew member or pose a threat to you. (If someone is running at you with a object capable of killing you nearly instantly

Antags

You might, or will run into an antag during your time as a security officer, depending on what they are and what they have is important too.

Traitors

Lethal Force: Depends on the situation.

Info: Operatives with objectives on-board the Cyberiad, anyone can be one, including fellow officers and the Captain. If they present an IMMEDIATE threat(Attacking the crew with lethal weapons, AKA fire axes, guns, E-swords.) then lethal force is(or should be) allowed. If you do manage to arrest one and have confirmed their a traitor, ask the HoS/Captain, they'll(should) handle it from there.

Does a Loyalty Implant work? Yes.

Special Note: If a traitor has used a Greytide implant on a crewman, they are brainwashed and can be loyalty implanted or taken to medbay for implant removal.

Changelings

Lethal Force: Yes. (Unless ordered by Central Command.)

Info: An alien that has already killed a crewman to be on-board the Cyberiad, feel free to use the harm baton applied to the forehead to dispatch them so they can be cremated. They have no rights. Also, be careful when cuffing, they can change into primates and escape, or sting you.

Vampires

Lethal Force: Depends on the situation

Info: Vampires, they can spam glare and hypnotize when you try to arrest them, so you'll have to keep your distance and use something like a flashbang or taser to get them.

Does a Loyalty Implant work? Vampires - No. Thralls - Yes.

Special Note: Can make someone a thrall if they have enough usable blood. Either put them in a cell to wait it out, or loyalty implant them.

Wizards

Lethal Force: Yes

Info: You're a Wizard Harry. They may or may not be friendly, so keep your distance, make sure to inform the other officers as they can kill you in a second with use of Ei nath.

Does a Loyalty Implant work? Wizards - Yes. Apprentices - Yes.

Special Note: Can teach someone the art of magic, this makes their apprentice, and thus, gives them their loyalty to the wizard.

Syndicate/Nuclear Operatives

Lethal Force: YES.

Info: Not like the regular traitors, but are a squad of Syndicate Agents sent to destroy the Cyberiad via the nuclear fission device. Arrive in blood red hardsuits, usually armed with a pistol or SMG, or even a SAW and E-sword if one of them acts like a selfish cunt and wastes all the telecrystals., if you see one, report it and get back to the brig so the Warden can immediately yell at the AI to open the armory to be armed.

Special Note: For every operative you arrest and get to the shuttle, the crew gets a score boost. For the love of God, don't let some retarded assistant with a SMG kill your prize.

Ninjas

Lethal Force: Depends on how the Ninja feels.

Info: Ninjas from the spider clan. They have a chance of being hired by Nanotrasen and the Syndicate so they /might/ be friendly, though it depends on their objectives. Remember, expect to be horribly murdered if they've already gone a murder spree.

Does a Loyalty Implant work? Probably yes.

Xenos

Lethal Force: YES.

Info: Aliens, if you see one, report it, get back to the brig and wait for red alert, once your armed, hunting time. Make sure to wear a hardsuit helmet, biohood, or welding mask so a facehugger can't get you. Remember that this is a station-wide threat, so forget arresting people and just move on.(Unless they're causing major detriment to the crew.)

Does a Loyalty Implant work? No.

Special Note: If you see someone infected, GET THEM TO MEDBAY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Also, it's possible for a deathsquad to be sent, so be careful.

Blob

Lethal Force: Yes.

Info: A sporadic alien virus space barf-goo thing that spreads across the station, if you see one, report it to the crew as fast as you can, then get internals on and fight it. Also, this is one of the only cases where you should be letting people off the hook.(Don't mess around with a assistant/civilian, clown or mime the entire time.)

Special Note: It can make more blob spores if someone stands inside a cloud, so feel free to beat assistants away from the blob if they don't have internals on.

Cortical Borers

Lethal Force: Yes.(Against the slugs themselves, not infected hosts.)

Info: Brain slugs, they can take someone over and become dangerous to the crew and infrastructure. Kill them all., they may or may not little warmongering worms and may actually be helpful.

Special Note: If you see someone infected and acting violent, get them to medbay so it can be removed.(If's it being a hazard to the host too.)

Vox Trader/Raiders

Info: A Vox party comprising of one or more Vox have come to raid/trade the Cyberiad for needed supplies, they will not kill unless its completely necessary.

Special Note: Skree.

Cultists

Info: Brainwashed acolytes devoted to the dark god Nar'Sie, if you do arrest one, report it to the Chaplain. If any of your fellow officers want to execute them, kill them for having the mental capacity of a gerbil.

Does a Loyalty Implant work? Only works beforehand./After de-conversion.

Revolutionaries

Lethal Force: Depends, are they a Head Rev/attacking you, if so, then yes.(You can also take them to the prison asteroid/exile implant and gateway.)

Info: Brainwashed crewmen with a murderboner for security and the heads of staff. My only suggestion here is to keep the harm intent on all times, remember, they want to kill you, so being peaceful doesn't work here.

Does a Loyalty Implant work? For the brainwashed guys, yes, for the rev heads, no.

Special Note: You can always order more loyalty implants from cargo.

Malfunctioning AI

Lethal Force: Yes.

Info: An AI that's finally snapped from being a over-glorified door knob. The borgs are also part of this batshit insanity too. THE DRONES ARE NEUTRAL, THERE'S NO REASON TO ATTACK THEM.

Loyalists/Mutineers

Do a recent round that was just, a failure to see, I heavily recommend you'd stay out of the affairs of both sides until you have a good idea on what Directive X is.

Other factors

*The loyalty implants should be used for criminals who are extremely disruptive.(Terrorists, attempted murderers, mutineers.)

*If you do have to use lethal force, harm baton + face is a lovely combination. Thats what the Energy gun in the armory is for.

Your cohorts

*The Head Of Security - Your boss, has final say whatever goes in Security matters, Unless the Captain involves themselves. -Expect this guy to be extremely shit, and have the anger management of a alcoholic.

*The Warden - The up-keeper of the brig, passes out gear during red alert, and takes care of prisoners. -Expect him to patrol like a normal officer and never hand out weaponry.

*The Blueshield - A bodyguard assigned to the Heads Of Staff, appointed by Central Command. Does not have any authority have over the Warden or Security Officers.

*Internal Affairs Agents/Public Defenders/Lawyers - Appointed by Central Command to make sure you're not being shitcurity, technically a lot more powerful than the whole security department combined.

*The Detective - Investigates crimes, is on the same level as you. -Expect this guy to disconnect from the server or be killed by a ling.

If there's anything I've missed, I'll probably add it later.

Edited by Guest

The Autotraitor mode is bugged, it ignores the loyalty implants. So implanted people can be traitors.

RP wise we can say that the syndicate has implanted them a false implant, or their implant is malfunctioning.

I didn't think the cult of Nar'Sie was considered illegal until they actually broke the law. Freedom of religion, if you will.

I'm a bit confused as to the meaning of loyalty implants "Yes"/"No" in your guide. Does it mean that they are effective or that they are recommended? In the vampire section you say "no", but still you suggest this course of action under the "Notes".

When it comes to borers, I think each round play out differently. Borer can be pretty RP heavy. Their goals are not mutually exclusive.

Anything that isn't the religion the chaplain named at roundstart can be considered dangerous or subversive to the station.

I do remember some religions are "illegal", named by the chaplain or not.

Not sure if it's monitored or not.

Arent you saying that because you as a player know that the game mode is cultist? The religion itself may have been active for a long time up until this particular shift where it all goes out the window. Maybe the coders should add a few "blanks rounds" where the cultists are present, but they don't really have a malevolent objective just to throw metagamers off, while it in reality is a vamp round.

Back to shitcurity.

How do you feel about letting people in the cooler?

I have noticed that most players aren't really acting as if they are being approached by a LEO. It reminds me of the annoyances bouncers face when dealing with drunk law students. I've dished out karmas to people for merely having acted as if they were concerned with dealing with security and answering politely.

If you have watched any episode of Cops TV series, you know that cops but the handcuffs on and let you sit in their car for a while and let the spontaneous indignant anger and frustration turn to fear and reflection. For the same reason that we have temporary bans on this server.

When people aren't being cooperative or coherent, how do you feel about letting them sit tight for 1-3 minutes before taking the statement? And then aborting the statement (for another 1-3 minutes) if the person is being abusive or noncooperating?

Frankly, I feel that if people were behaving like that while employed on a critical installation, no supervisor would see them fit for duty to resume their responsibilities in any of the elevated access jobs. Naturally, we can't demote all emotionally unstable characters, but I feel that there is some blatant real-world contrast that is worth pointing out that I consider to be a part of the problem.

It's a nice idea, but it doesn't work considering people who are that angry OOC don't become afraid OOC later on because they're behind a computer. In addition, security is very busy and you have to watch over people who are in 'the cooler' and you don't always have the time to spend.

I have played a time or two IC as raging when arrested, though usually on false charges.... Like when I was brigged with no word spoken to me as chaplain on the word of an assistant, and after 15 minutes of brig with still no word from sec..... they don't give me my ID back.

Arent you saying that because you as a player know that the game mode is cultist? The religion itself may have been active for a long time up until this particular shift where it all goes out the window. Maybe the coders should add a few "blanks rounds" where the cultists are present, but they don't really have a malevolent objective just to throw metagamers off, while it in reality is a vamp round.

from an IC point of view the religion is already banned as a known and dangerous thing, as memory serves. On ss13 you don't really have things like freedom of religion since ultimately your freedoms are decided by NT, and usually less as a question of what liberties you should or shouldn't have but more one of "What can we give them to keep em happy but not effect our interests?"

If we want to avoid shitcurity, then I think security should be careful about acting outside mandated space law. There is a single sentence in the wiki "BackStory" that mentions "not all religions are permitted". Pretty thin and not something that is ready to be consistently enforced. Especially when it is speculation wether or not you should act at all.

Does your memory include where you have that memory from?

If we want to avoid shitcurity, then I think security should be careful about acting outside mandated space law. There is a single sentence in the wiki "BackStory" that mentions "not all religions are permitted". Pretty thin and not something that is ready to be consistently enforced. Especially when it is speculation wether or not you should act at all.

Does your memory include where you have that memory from?

http://80.244.78.90/wiki/index.php/Iden ... nists#Cult

• 3 weeks later...

And which space law paragraph is applicable when an individual is found to be affiliated with such an organization before any actual criminal act has been committed by this individual?

from the wiki -

If you can't find the crime listed in here you can set up a tribunal. See Legal Standard Operating Procedure.

So yes, they could be arrested, but they can't be punished until there's been a tribunal

And which space law paragraph is applicable when an individual is found to be affiliated with such an organization before any actual criminal act has been committed by this individual?

It's "Terrorist Collaboration".

Cultists (and religious zealots) aside. Would you not say that that Paradise is in need of more proper security staff? Normally I try playing a productive surgeon, but I am considering becomming a security officer somewhere in the future. I will need much tutoring though, and I know that my average round-time will become much shorter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use