Blob is severly underpowered for over 100 players.

Ataman

I just got told balance 'issues' and code 'issues' are discussed seperately so here it goes:

The blob, especially the mid round blob, doesn't stand a chance with our current playercount. Almost all of them get located and devastated not even 5 minutes in. (Personally I never saw a mid round blob winning).
This is not surprising with a crew consisting of over 80 people at prime time.

Round start blobs are in a better position, but even they fail a lot of times.

A very simple solution in my opinion would be checking the player count on the server before spawning the blob. If there are over a hundred people online, spawn one additional blob.

Discuss!

Mid round blob isn't supposed to have a good shot at winning. It's supposed to just make the round a bit more interesting. Another game mode is probably active alongside blob, so the blob wrecking everything might not be a satisfying end to the shift.

• Like 2

Roundstart blobs do scale for player count.

Midround blobs don't, and have a random spawn location - some of these can be in godawful locations to. One spawned the other day in the dorm toilets, and was being attacked by 5 people before the player even loaded into it. (Btw, the spawn locations happen to be the same places the disk can teleport to randomly, something I only learned recently).

The intent of midround blob isn't to win, however - especially because winning for a blob involves taking out the whole station basically, fucking over all the pre-existing antags.

The idea is to increase the chaos and entropy of the round, essentially upping the threat and quickening the pace of the end of the round. It gives a chance for antags to use the distraction to complete their objectives if they haven't already, and to unify the crew against a common threat, or cause them to say fuckit and call the shuttle after the damage it's done.

Rarely the blobs do win then, so it is a threat if not checked, but...ah shit. Yeah what @tayswift said while I was typing this.

• Like 2

There's nothing fun about a blob being robusted by an army of this for either side:

0bJrFHK.png

The blob today got found before his first resource node went up, followed by complete destruction 2 minutes later. Blob was bored, crew was bored, ghosts were bored. Might have just as well not have shown up since it caused zero damage to crew and station (apart from a few bruises).

The mid round blob spawn function could easily check for already existing antags and the amount of active crew members and buffing/nerving the blob with better positions or more cores according to the current situation.

EDIT: Compare it to any other mid round antag. All of them have it way easier to cause harm and damage even with 80 people onboard the station.

Edited by Ataman
  • Like 1

Yea I've always viewed the mid round blob to be like a "Hey...one of the ghosts wanna take blob for a spin? Here ya go!"

I'd like to see mid round blobs more frequently just due to how rare of a chance it is to BE a blob

8 hours ago, necaladun said:

One spawned the other day in the dorm toilets, and was being attacked by 5 people before the player even loaded into it.

Are you sure on this one? @tzo's PR a few months back should have fixed that? If so we'll need to look at that code again.

5 hours ago, scrubmcnoob said:

It should also be noted upon the introduction of fastmos, as it will most likely be introduced in the future, the blob will inherently get a buff.

This pretty much, blob will be getting a /significant/ buff with Alffdmospherics implemented.

Ya, the mid round Blobs aren't meant to even have a shot at winning really, they are meant to give one ghost something to do for a couple minutes, possibly get some crew members armed a little, and like it has been said, to spice up a round a little. Although I will say the dark matter blobs are a little bit too powerful, *cough cough 1 hitting people cough cough*.

@Purpose2 https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/6470

Should have prevented late-round blobs from having a period where no player was controlling them.

Originally, it also tried to move blob spawn points out of stupid, obvious places, but that part got shot down by the maintainers.

Maybe I'll put up a new version.

Edited by tzo

7 hours ago, shazbot194 said:

Ya, the mid round Blobs aren't meant to even have a shot at winning really, they are meant to give one ghost something to do for a couple minutes, [...]

Other mid round antags have win conditions as well. Why is the blob supposed to not have them? Just a thing for ghosts sounds silly. I'm pretty sure that wasn't their intended function at all.

The argument that winning blobs would mess other antags round up goes for every mid round antag. Traitor gets abducted? Though stuff. Revenant picked you as his favorite target? Not helpful either. I won't even start with Xenos, Swarmers or Slaughter Demons.
A blob is probably one of the least dangerous antags in that regard. It's localized and while the station might have to call the shuttle, you can still get off and fulfill your win conditions. Your objective probably gets even easier with security occupied. Maybe the blob even kills your unlucky victim for you.

Didn't know there were updates planned though. I'll take a look into those.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use